iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Found an ms-361 new for $655 w/a 20" bar - good deal or no?

Started by Warbird, March 15, 2010, 07:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warbird

This is through the only Stihl dealer in Fairbanks and they tend to be pricey.  I've been wanting one for years now and since they have been discontinued, I figure this is my last chance.

I currently use an ms-270c that for the most part, has been okay.  I cut up to 10 cord of firewood per year.  It would be nice to have the 361 for the bucking and tree felling, and set the 270 up as a brush saw.  Just don't know if it is worth the $655.

What say you guys?  I need to make up my mind quick.  This is the last brand new 361 in the state.

ladylake

If your 270 runs good go for a 70cc saw, the 361 won't cut thaqt much faster than your 270.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

JohnG28

Thats pretty steep for an ms361, although they are becoming hard to get.  As a reference, Im in upstate NY and purchased a new 361 about 2 months ago, and paid $570 for it, actually got the price lowered because it was a discontinued model, might want to check with your dealer to see if anything similar could be done there.  There were a couple around at different dealers, but all were willing to go lower on the price.  I do like the saw, although Ive barely started breaking it in, its nice, made very quick work of about 20" dbh dead maple.  Sounds like work youd be putting it through is similar to mine, but try to work on the price.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

simonmeridew

actually that sounds like a decent price considering it's Alaska. Prices  are what, maybe 15-20% higher in Alaska compared to the lower 48?
simonmeridew
Kubota L4400, Farmi 351

Warbird

Yeah, prices are higher here due to shipping costs.  Think I will let this one go.  *sigh*  Tough call because I want one so bad but we are saving for other stuff.  And the 270 does an okay job for now.  My only fear is that these new choked down EPA saws will never be as good as the 361, so if I don't get one now, it'll be gone for good.

JohnG28

I agree with you there, thats the same reason I jumped when I had the chance, and Im saving for my wedding, so I hear ya on the money too.  I figured that prices up there were higher, but didnt have a reference, might still be worth asking if theyll do any discount, worst case you pay what theyre asking anyway.  Good luck to you.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

fishpharmer

Warbird, your price in Alaska for a 361 isn't more than $30 higher than my local dealer for the same saw and bar.  If it were me, I would buy one if I didn't already have one.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

eamassey

In my area the list price for a 361 was $619.  One could be bought for $20-30 less, or one could get an extra chain,etc. thrown in.  I tried to buy one a few weeks ago, too late, one could not be found.  I bought a 362 at a slightly higher price.  I like this 362 a lot--- but I have no experience with a 361 for comparison.  This saw feels strong to me for a 60cc saw.

Al_Smith

Well you have to kind of look at like this .If you only cut 10 cords of wood a year that saw should last for a very long time with proper care .

nmurph

if you want the saw, get it. i don't think that is a bad price for you location. that saw will be a good bit faster than your 270. i own a 361 as well as a muffler modded 026, which is comparable to a 270, and i can tell you the one hp is a significant difference. what is the average size of the wood you cut and is it hardwood or mostly conifers? a 361 will pull a 20" bar in hardwood pretty well as long as you don't lean too hard on it. if much of your cutting is in wood larger than 14-16", i would consider a 70cc saw to go with the 270. a 60cc saw is great as a single saw, but if you own more than one saw, a larger jump in displacement makes more sense.

567paloggger

I would highly recommend the saw 361s are the best i own 3 of them 2 brand new for backup now but on ebay ive seen them going for 700 plus dollars for new 361s. I havent heard much on the new 362 so couldnt tell ya how it is but id go grab that 361

Warbird

Thanks for all of your opinions, guys.  I've crunched the numbers and thought really hard about it.  I am going to let it go.  It is a really tough decision but what with the things we are saving for and the budget I have, I just can't justify it right now.

Maybe I'll be able to pick up a used one later and rebuild it.  *sigh* 

ldcub56

Warbird the price seams a little high,I bought one last fall  for under $600. Also i know most guy's have a lot of good to say about the 361 saw, but i have had nothing but trouble with mine. The dealer has replaced the saw once,because the saw wouldn't run right. The second saw, the bar keeps freezing up at nose sproket, the dealer has replaced the bar once, same thing on second bar. Also the filter keeps letting  saw dust in to carburetor,which dealer can't fix, or figure where it is coming from.I have a older stihl saw i have owned for over 25 years, never any trouble out of it.I would never buy another ms361 saw.

windthrown

Quote from: nmurph on March 16, 2010, 08:19:45 AM
if you want the saw, get it. i don't think that is a bad price for you location. that saw will be a good bit faster than your 270. i own a 361 as well as a muffler modded 026, which is comparable to a 270, and i can tell you the one hp is a significant difference. what is the average size of the wood you cut and is it hardwood or mostly conifers? a 361 will pull a 20" bar in hardwood pretty well as long as you don't lean too hard on it. if much of your cutting is in wood larger than 14-16", i would consider a 70cc saw to go with the 270. a 60cc saw is great as a single saw, but if you own more than one saw, a larger jump in displacement makes more sense.

Agreed with this one, except for the need for a large displacement jump unless you are cutting and bucking large diameter wood. I have 026s, 361s and 044s (all modified). I use them all, and I prefer and use the 361 over the other two (though they are all great saws). Also the 270 is heavy for its power, only a half pound lighter than a 361. I think that you will use and prefer the 361 over the 270. They would make a good pair though for firewood saws (you can never have too many chainsaws now, can you?). 10 cords year is what I used to cut and burn, now it is more like 3 cords a year. I still love cutting with my 361s, and I bought 2 more of them after I got my first one.

The saw seems a tad expensive compared to here, where there are a few left for $610. But they are going fast, and the 362 is a lot more expensive.
Stihls: 440R, 361, 360, 310, 260, 211, 020T. Husky: 372xt.
I ship Stihl saws down under: message me for details.

windthrown

Quote from: ldcub56 on March 16, 2010, 02:35:55 PM
Warbird the price seams a little high,I bought one last fall  for under $600. Also i know most guy's have a lot of good to say about the 361 saw, but i have had nothing but trouble with mine. The dealer has replaced the saw once,because the saw wouldn't run right. The second saw, the bar keeps freezing up at nose sproket, the dealer has replaced the bar once, same thing on second bar. Also the filter keeps letting  saw dust in to carburetor,which dealer can't fix, or figure where it is coming from.I have a older stihl saw i have owned for over 25 years, never any trouble out of it.I would never buy another ms361 saw.

Well, you are in luck... the 361 is going away for good. Sawdust in the 361 carb is either the wrong filter (get the fleece one) or the air filter cover is beng kept too loose (that seats the filter body). Of course, maybe the 362 is for anyone having filter problems... I have three of these 361 babies and none of them has given me any trouble, ever. As for bars, dunno why you would blame the saw for a bar sprocket problem. But what the heck... maybe turn the oiler up more? I have run 3 types of bars and 4 lengths on my 361s, and narry a problem with any of them (Oregon, GB, Stihl, 16 through 25 inch). Of course I also grease my bar nose sprockets. Most of my bars have grease holes for that. Many hours of use on these saws, logging and thinning, and a tree butchering biz. Y'all do not like your 361s? Please send 'em my way. 4 years and running, zero problems.

Warbird

Actually, you should sell it to me for half what the new one would cost.  Or windthrown should sell me one of his.  ;) 

windthrown

Quote from: Warbird on March 16, 2010, 03:15:11 PM
Actually, you should sell it to me for half what the new one would cost.  Or windthrown should sell me one of his.  ;) 

I can get a new 361 here for $610, and it would be $640 shipped and fully insured. I do not know about the warantee though; not sure you can transfer it across state lines, or from one owner to another.

Warbird

You guys will be proud of me.  A buddy of mine just heard on Tradio that an oldtimer is selling some gear.  He has 2 used MS361's, both just tuned up, both with only 1 summer of work on them for sale for $350.  One of them has a new bar, he said.

I'm heading over to check them out in a about an hour.  I'm the first one who called, so I will get my pick.  I'm as excited as a little kid about to open a birthday present!!  ;D

*edit*  Oh, and they are apparently both the 'pro' model with the easily adjustable chain.  Won't know for certain until I get my hands on them.  Will take pics once I get it home.  Did I mention I'm excited? 

Rocky_J

All MS361 saws have the 'PRO' tag on them. It does not add anything. Sort of like saying that your Ford pickup has a Triton motor. It's been turned into a marketing tag is all.

Warbird

Okay.  Thanks for the info.  I do not know how to distinguish between the 2 361's (one has the quick adjust chain, the other has the standard nuts to tighten the chain) but these ones apparently have the quick adjust.  That is what my 270 has and I don't mind it.

Warbird

Picked it up and brought it home.  Made a few cuts with it.  WOW.  That thing chews through wood like a knife through soft butter.  I did manage to bog it down when I leaned into it but that extra 10 cc's makes an amazing difference.  I don't even feel the extra 1/2 pound of weight over my 270c, either.

Oh, and the guy threw in one of the Stihl hardhats that have the attached face screen and earmuffs.  That plus the saw, I feel was a pretty good deal.  He even still had the manual.

So y'all can count me as another very happy ms361 owner!  And I think I may keep the 270c as a back up saw.  I have to give 'props' to my good friend who pointed this deal out to me.  Sure hope he creates an account here someday.

SawTroll

Quote from: ladylake on March 15, 2010, 07:30:14 PM
If your 270 runs good go for a 70cc saw, the 361 won't cut thaqt much faster than your 270.  Steve

It sure will, but the 270c probably won't see much use after getting the 361, as the weight and bulk is nearly the same... ;D
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: Warbird on May 07, 2010, 05:51:24 PM

*edit*  Oh, and they are apparently both the 'pro' model with the easily adjustable chain.  Won't know for certain until I get my hands on them.  Will take pics once I get it home.  Did I mention I'm excited?  

Sorry to say, nothing "pro" with that feature, rather the opposite - I sure woudln't want it!    steve_smiley

The good news is that if you don't like it, you probably can rebuild the saw into the standard version, that really is the pro one!   :)

Regardless, you made a good decition - congrats with a great saw!    8) 8) 8)
Information collector.

Warbird

Thanks, SawTroll.  You are absolutely right.  That 361 cuts LOTS faster and smoother than the 270c.  I'll chime in again once I've a few hours cutting with it but so far, there really is no comparison.  I'm still undecided if I'm going to keep the 270c around as a backup saw or not but I don't see it getting much use now.  ;)  

As for the quick adjust chain, I hear you.  I actually liked it on the 270c, as it never slipped and made for nice quick adjustments when the chain heated up/cooled down.  We'll see how it fairs on this 361.

SawTroll

8) 8) 8)  Nice to hear that you like your new saw!   :)
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!