iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Why do lumberjacks yell "Timber"

Started by Howdy, March 22, 2010, 09:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howdy

One of those things we just take for granted, but why and how did the custom of yelling "Timber" when falling trees start?

Ernie

It's a lot more effective than yelling "Fish"
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

chevytaHOE5674

I cut a lot of timber everyday and never yell anything. Make sure nobodies in my area and then let them rip.

Tom

Brother Dave tells a story of a little bird that couldn't say timber.  When his tree was cut down, he said, "Hom-me, Hom-me".

Faron

They don't always do that.  Sometimes we yell  "Oh crap!"
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

footer

Why does a golfer yell "4" when they hit a ball?

Tom

I looked that "fore" comment up just yesterday.  It comes from possibly several different places, one being the old British Artillery  saying when they fired behind friendly troops, "Beware before".   It meant "look ahead" or "heads up".   I would add, "look out!!"

tlandrum

sometimes i yell a few choice 4  letter words when tree is falling in an unintended direction
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

fishpharmer

Quote from: Ernie on March 22, 2010, 10:02:19 PM
It's a lot more effective than yelling "Fish"

You call? ;)

Well durnation, I knew I was doing something wrong.  ;D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

arojay

A-hem,  where I come from the term 'lumberjack' has come to have a somewhat different meaning.
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

captain_crunch

We yell across the hill(leaves more room for error) Belive Movie screne had more to do with this. But after logging for 20+ years you could listen to a saw(if you still could hear) and tell real close to what faller was up to so generally nothing was hollered unless it was I could sure use a BEER after that wreck
But my question is what the heck is a LUMBERJACK. We were Loggers and Lumberjack was a brand of syurp :D :D :D :D
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Bobus2003

I don't yell anything and I don't tolerate anyone yelling anything while I am/they cutting.. I figure if theres yelling someone is hurt or something went wrong.. no point in yelling for no reason

chucker

" TIMBER "!!! was just a call for heads up when the woods were full of man and animal power to limit the accidents.........  a "LUMBERJACK " was a term name for a person that could do all job facets in the logging industery( a multy tasker)........
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Howdy

Thanks for the replies.  Yelling something when dropping a tree when the woods are full of workers and work animals sounds about right.  It does sound better to yell "Timber" than "Fish" or "Lookout" as it is a sound that will get some attention. 

Letting other loggers know when a tree is falling and to be on the lookout for flying branches or other displaced material is something that would be good in a crowded work setting.  Anyway, it's something I can tell the Mrs. and she will accept.

chucker

lol !! glad to of been some help???  love the area your in!! lived just across the river from you in wash. long/kelso... nothing like the pnw woods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

DirtForester

If it's a good tree, grow it!
www.smithandwessonforums.com

Cedarman

The sounds of crosscut saws  sawing and axes chopping allow you to hear someone shouting.  Now with skidders blaring and chainsaws screeching you couldn't hear someone shout anyway.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Magicman

Power and Telephone Co. Linesmen yell "HEADACHE" when they drop something.  And it does NOT mean for you to look up.  It means to cover your head and get out of the way.

Many jobs have adopted "Danger Yells" to alert unsuspecting co-workers.......Thankfully.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

VTLogSlayer

Up here at Paul Smith's, we are told to have our last name on the back of your helmet in dark lettering, just incase you need to be yelled to get outta the way.
ms361 20" 
044 20"
Polaris xcsp 600
97' Land Rover Discovery

Tom

We holler "Dinner" here at the house, but with the all the skinny people downgrading the fat people today, that might be considered a yell of alarm by some.

The way the Government is taking over, we might have to find a closet, in which to hide, to eat supper.  :D

Cedarman

"ROCK" is yelled when rock climbing or caving when something is dropped or dislodged from any height.  I have seen quite a few fall.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

JDeere

My brother went to school with a kid named Tim Burr. Don't know what ever became of him. Maybe he is a logger out West now.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

Mooseherder

Quote from: JDeere on March 23, 2010, 08:06:40 PM
My brother went to school with a kid named Tim Burr. Don't know what ever became of him. Maybe he is a logger out West now.

Did the Burr's go to School up North? ;D

JDeere

He went to high school in Central NH.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

timberjack240

we usually holler when were lookin for eah other thats more of a yoooooo were ya at. or when when sumthin goes wrong thats more of a @$!%%^%$^%^&#75  ;D or if things are crankin and rele goin good we hoot and holler jsut to keep in the swing of things kinda keep the mood up

Thank You Sponsors!