iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fessin' Up

Started by chet, October 15, 2003, 07:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

I spotted a large maple today while out cutting firewood that had half of it broken out about 20' up. The top end of the broken out section had fallen all the way to the ground, but the butt was still attached up in the tree. Well I looked it over, planned my escape route, and looked to see if tractor and spare saw where out of way. Yup all's clear except my red gas can about 30' to my left. NAW,,,,,,,what are the odds of that big broken section being sucked through three other trees then braking of at the precise instant and hitting my little red gas can.
Well to make a long story a short, the chances are PURTY DANG GOOD.    :(
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

:D

We want a picture!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

:D :D
I know whatcha mean, Chet.  I did the same thing, but it was Miz DanG's truck that was "well out of the way."  :-[  It only dinged the door when the big pine rolled after hitting the ground, but it took 3 trip to a Chinese restaurant to get me out of the doghouse. YUCK!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

She made you get rid of yer coon hounds? Well crap, that aint hardly right...
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chet

Not much ta take a picture of, it jist looks like a little red pancake.   ::)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Minnesota_boy

I dropped a white pine stub that fell toward my truck, which was parked out of the way.  It missed the truck just fine, but a dead limb stub broke off when it hit the ground, did a lazy loop through the air and broke the mirror on the opposite side of the truck.  :o
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

DanG

'Tweren't my coon dogs. Mighta been somebody else's though.  Thought I detected a touch of house cat, too. :-/
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Bibbyman

While we're all Fessin'....

Well,  we've got our first dent and scratch on the Terex.  And,  as luck would have it,  it was all "my fault".  :-[

Mary was moving logs with the Terex and I was using the AGCO to blade down some rough areas where we were going to have gravel dumped.  There was a disabled dump truck and power pole to negotiate around.  

Mary had just picked up some logs and backed around and pulled forward.  I had seen her pulling forward and started to follow her out.  But I had to watch where I was going to miss the power pole and stuff on the other side of the tractor with the blade.   I looked up just in time to see her backing up again to get a better shot at getting around the dead dump truck.  KLUNK!  One fork on the AGCO hit the rear lid on the Terex.   :o

It made a nasty scratch about 6" long and put a slight dent in it.  Could have been a lot worse if we had been travailing faster or the fork would have hit in the rear glass of the Terex.

Thanks,  I feel better now... :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Percy

I ran over my Husky 288 whut I had for 7 years with the Bobcat...ooops.....I seen flat saws before and wondered how anyone could be so careless...guess now I know :o
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

OneWithWood

A while back I was fixin' to weld up a pin in the track of the crawler.  I set my auto-dark welding helmet on the tracks to catch some sun - it is solar powered.  Got distracted doing something for the missus and when I came back I had forgotten all about the helmet.  Fired up the crawler to move it and get the pin in a good position.  Got all set to do some welding and DanG if I couldn't find my helmet.  Yup, crushed it about as flat as it could get.  The grouser treads didn't do the glass any favors either!   :o
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Kevin_H.

You know I am always tearing stuff up, but the one thing that I seem to do repeatedly is running over the fenders for the woodmizer...seems no matter where you put them they always migrate under a tire somewhere...

It use to be that they would fit on either side of the saw, but now they have been modified, so to speak.  ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Bibbyman

I only ran over a set of WM finders just one time.  Both were a little out of shape - one more than the other. The "tool" used was a 1-ton truck.  Missed them with the wheels.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

McGruff

I heard a story once bout a guy that was visitin' his sister and brother in law.  The live in a house that is surrounded by hickory trees.  One of them hickory trees was dead.  The brother in law didn't wanna cut it down cause he was afraid it might fall on the house.  Well there this guy was.  He had his trusty 1980's homelite super xl with a 16" blade in the back of the dodge.  He volunteered!!  Anything for his sis.  I'm not real sure of the verbage here, but he cut a wedge out, and then started his back cut.  Huh.  Dang saw quit.  He knew he shoulda checked the fuel level before he started.  Well as luck would have it, the wind didn't come up, and he was able to re-fuel the saw and complete the job.  The tree only landed a "little" on their black top driveway causing a little hole (crack, etc.) on the edge.

Boy, I told them how lucky they were they had me cut that tree down cause it coulda fell right on that house!! ::)

I know one other guy that fell a tree on my 1968 El Camino.  Yup my dad sure was embarrassed!!  Sure wish he woulda just took out his gas container.... :-X

Jim_Rogers

I had nothing to do with this:

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Captain

Hey Jim, was that from yesterday's winds?

We were out chasing downed trees in the fire department for 5 hours.

Captain

Jim_Rogers

No, it was on 7/3/01. Old picture from files. ;)
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Ed_K

We Had the bad winds yesterday here in leyden ma, I'm the tree warden for the town. Got call out at 8:30 pm to cut up a downed tree crossing the main rd to gilford vt. Well after discussing it with the road boss and police chief, I went to work cutting it up and they went to the next downed tree.
 I cut most of the branches and threw them off to the side, had one more to cut, finished it, shut off the saw and thats when I heard a CRACK  :o another part came down right on top of me  :-[. Only thing that saved me was it hung fron the power line  :o. Glad the power was out.
 I went back at light to get a pict of the top hanging down, but the power co got there first, so this is all I got.

Ed K

woodmills1

We lost a big willow in the back yard in the 70 mile an hour winds of yesterday but it went only into the yard and only damaged itself.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

oldsaw

I think I already posted my "ice storm branch" story before, first time I ever saw enough tension on a 12" branch to whip the tail end of it (my head was clear) straight up and over, right on top of a chain link fence.  Wire hanging loops popping all over the place.  Kind of like watching a karate guy flip someone over their shoulder.  Fence pieced together pretty well afterwards...felt pretty lucky there.

Had an argument with Dad once though.  We were up at church 20 some odd years ago when I was either still in high school or first year of college.  Had a real oddly shaped tree near power lines.  He was with his buddies, so he didn't want to look like the kid knew more than he did.  He did lop off a couple of branches to even the balance a bit (sometimes he listens to me) but cut the wedge about 45 degrees off of where I told him to.  Then I told him we would have to put a rope on it to make sure it fell the right way, since I couldn't really tell which way it was going to fall.  Well, he proceeded to do the back-cut and got DEEP into it, and the tree wasn't tipping, just standing there.  It was so well balanced, it just didn't move.  About that time he stops, looks up at the tree, down at the saw, then up at the tree again.  Right about then the tree started to slowly tip over the saw bar at a really funky angle and did a little quarter roll, swung over and ripped out one of the electrical wires which fell on the ground.

Well, he looked at his friends pretty sheepishly, then at me.  I told him that I wasn't even going to tell him that I told him so.  Fortunately the guy from the power company passed by not 10 minutes after the tree went down, out of the blue.  Turns out the wire wasn't being used.  We have had only one other discussion about where something was going to fall.  That was an old concrete silo.  I was right on that one too.
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

woodmills1

I left my chainsaw hardhat on the truck once and then proceeded to drive away and the hat fell, it seems at some point I drove over it and squashed it flat.  You should have seen my wifes face when I showed her the helmut while holding my head with the other hand. :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Paul_H

That's a dirty trick. I like it :D
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Thank You Sponsors!