iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anticipation

Started by Brian_Bailey, October 16, 2003, 10:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian_Bailey

Had a few extra bucks in the kitty, so I bought a couple of real nice red oak logs. The log truck also brought about 1500 bf of butternut too.

The red oak was intended to be quarter sawn, so I wanted the logs to be at least 20" in diameter. The length didn't matter.
Here's what I got.

The log next to the mill was 10' long and had a nice deep red color in the end grain. Something I don't see often in much of the red oak I get. The other log was a 9 footer and didn't have the red tinge that caught my eye in the first log.

So a change in plans occurred ( it's great to have a flexible business plan),  I decided to plane saw it.
Below are some of the boards. I sawed all 4/4. These boards are 12" wide.
The log had one bump and I turned the log so that defect would come out on the edge as seen in the board on the right.  
What I didn't like seeing was the circular grain in the board on the left. While making the board visibly interesting, it also indicates a defect on the reverse side or definately in the next board of that face. I wasn't happy seeing this in a $1200/mbf log. Oh well, that's life. I did get a lot of clear lumber from the log though.

The other log I quarter sawed and was real pleased with the results.

Now the anticipation starts, waiting for the lumber to dry. I did put a roof on the pile in case your're wondering :) !

Thanks for looking!
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

trey_w

Nice looking boards!  I had a piece of red oak that had circle grain that I used in a craftsman style tool chest.  I centered it in the front of the drawer and put the knob in the middle.  Made a nice visual impression I thought.  :)
If you put your two cents in and only get a penny for your thoughts...who gets the change?

woodmills1

Brian, I have to say it again, man you make the nicest stacks.
You should come over here for some $850/ logs. Nice and pink when fresh they are.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Frank_Pender

Hey ya Brian, are those temporary drying bunks or where you off bare your lumber from the mill ?  They sure look sturdy! :)  I do as you do with the stickering and stacking.  It pays off in the end for uniform lumber. ;D
Frank Pender

woodchip

SawInIt CA

DanG Brian,  That is one of the cleanest stacking jobs I have seen. 8)

AtLast

VERY NICE!!!....in the first pic  on the end of the log is what appears to be a stain....did you have any metal in any of the logs

Brian_Bailey

AtLast,  

Yes, there was metal in that log.  The logger had pounded 2 metal S shaped thingamajigs ( forgot what u call'm) into each end of the log to stop an end check from getting bigger. Seemed to work.

trey_w,  

I have a habit of stashing those visually interesting boards for my own use. They can really make a project stand out.

woodmills1,

I was kinda shocked at the price, but after checking the Sawlog Bulletin, the price was in line for that grade of log. In my area, logs like those get top dollar, you either pay it or u don't get the log.  
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Brian_Bailey

Frank,  

I've got some pictures for u.
The pile foundations are something that I have been using for a number of years and have really grown fond of them. They are easy to set up and keep level as there are only 4 points to shim if needed.
I got the idea for them from an article in the book, "Wood and How to dry it". One of Fine Woodworking hands on series.

Here is how I build them.
I start with a r-r tie cut in half and set on the ground as shown. The spacing is determined by the length of the lumber. You don't have to be too fussy on leveling these, just make sure their sitting firm and fairly close to level. The weight of the pile will settle them in. Obviously, u don't want to build these in a swamp :D.

Then u add the rails. I have different sizes. Some are 4"x 8"x var.', others are 5"x10"x var.', and even 8"x 8".  I made mine out of eastern hemlock. Just cut the log into a cant and then cut it in half length wise. Space the rails to the width of the layers of lumber. The wider, the more stable the pile will be.

Then add the 4x4 bolsters spaced to whatever your sticker spacings gonna be. Now take a carpenters level and check each end for level across the bolsters.  U want these level. This is why I like this setup as u only have two points that might need shimming,assuming the rails are straight. The points are where the rails set on the ties  :). On the length, u want one end higher than the other,so the roof sheds water.

All u's got to do now is place the 1st layer of stickers and start building that pile. You'll want to check the pile for level every so often, but after a few days things settle down.  Besides, the pile only gets lighter as time goes on  ;).

Thanks for looking.

Radar67

I finally found it. I've been looking for this stacking system/plan for a couple of months. I think there was someone else looking for it as well. I decided to bring it back to the front.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Jeff

Brian is the Stradivarius of stackers.  :) (Pesonally I think there may be a little bit of O.C.D. ) ;)  Such beauty and semitry in the piles ya hate ta make something else of them. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!