iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Growing Mushrooms

Started by Patty, April 26, 2010, 03:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patty

We decided to try to grow our own Shiitake & Button mushrooms this year. So we bought the kits from Gurney's and here is what they sent to us.

Just add water!

We should have mushrooms in a couple weeks.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Patty

In 1 week, we are harvesting shiitake mushrooms!  8)

Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Patty

Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Jeff

Hey! That's pretty awesome. Where do you keep the box?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Patty, are those the kind you have to send samples off to Canada for testing?  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Roxie

Now, that's what I call FRESH!  They look wonderful.  How are you planning on serving them?  Did you have any luck with the button mushrooms? 

Say when

Patty

Yea it is pretty cool, isn't it.

Jeff, I keep the Shiitake's down in the basement near a window (they require just normal light, not direct sun) and they need to be relatively cool around 65 F. The button mushrooms require more heat (around 70F) and zero sun, so I have them upstairs under a blanket.

Norm served our first Shiitake this morning in an omelet w/ fresh asparagus. Yes it was really tasty! The button 'shrooms are not up yet. I peeked at them this morning, and all I could see was a bunch of silvery mold stuff. I re-read the instructions and I guess this is to be expected at this point. I shouldn't begin to see any 'shrooms for another week or more.

Donk, I am not sure I know what you mean by having to send them up north for testing. When I ate my omelet I didn't experience any psychedelic colors......was I supposed to??  :o
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

SwampDonkey

Taste test.....not into the hard stuff. Unless it's coffee. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

Can we tell Patty grew up in the 60's.... :D

I've never had them before but they were pretty tasty.

SwampDonkey

Looks mighty tasty to.  :)

Out where I worked in northern BC, mushroom picking was a seasonal industry. They would set up camps to buy from pickers.

Right now, some folks are picking fiddle heads to sell in Toronto for $12 bucks a pound. ;D

Paschale

Every year, my neighbor gets a few morels in his backyard.  This year, just one--and I ate it, because he always gives them to me. 

I wonder if it's possible to grow morels at home... ???
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

fishpharmer

Norm and Patty, those look very good. 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Ron Wenrich

Quote from: Paschale on May 02, 2010, 02:30:05 AM
Every year, my neighbor gets a few morels in his backyard.  This year, just one--and I ate it, because he always gives them to me. 

I wonder if it's possible to grow morels at home... ???

There are several places that offer morel spawn.  Cost is about $30 for a kit. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Patty

OK so here it is May 5th, and I harvested another batch of shiitake's. 

8)
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

SwampDonkey

Wow, that's quite a bowl full. You got enough crew around there to help eat'm? ;D

Burlkraft

I am just salivatin' lookin' at that bowl full. I love mushrooms....I guess maybe it's cuz I grew up when Patty did  :D  :D

Mushroom and asparagus omelet........I can almost taste it now........now I gotta go look for morels today!
Why not just 1 pain free day?

LeeB

To the best of my recollection, which I may add is fairly distorted from that time period, the mushrooms from back then tasted horrible. Much better to make koolaide with them.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Burlkraft

Quote from: LeeB on May 06, 2010, 09:11:19 AM
To the best of my recollection, which I may add is fairly distorted from that time period, the mushrooms from back then tasted horrible. Much better to make koolaide with them.

The Kool Aide from that time was not good to drink either!

Remember Jim Jones?

Patty

Wow, I guess we all are pretty old, eh? It is truly amazing we lived through those days back then. I figure I only lost about a zillion brain cells ! :D
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

LeeB

Refresh my memorie, how many is that.  ??? :D :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

LeeB

I really am suprised how many of of us walked the same crooked path I did.

SwampDonkey

I wouldn't trust neither one of you bad actors. :D

Burlkraft

Quote from: LeeB on May 07, 2010, 06:00:35 PM

Yup!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Patty

Alrighty then! This has taken a crooked path, but let's go back to the original subject of my home grown mushrooms.  ;)  I checked on my button mushrooms yesterday and the dirt is covered with a silvery web of mold.  :o I quick read my instruction sheet and apparently this is exactly what is supposed to happen. Now I have to remove the plastic cover and just lay some cardboard over the box, spritz it every 3 days or so with water and wait another 2 weeks.

Norm cooking up some more fresh Shiitakes!

These are my button 'shrooms after 2 weeks under plastic.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

trapper

found some morels under my apple trees while cutting grass monday.  Wife cooked them last night.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Dan_Shade

Patty,

how long/how many mushrooms did you get from your experiment?

where they worth the trouble by the time you were done with them?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

SPIKER

With those Shiititake to keep them going just add clean sawdust wet well and keep the spawn going that way they love hardwoods.   chips are better or logs drilled and plugged with some dowels that you first shove into the bag you have there and let set for a month to get the dowels impregnated with the spawn.

for the button mushrooms use some dried cow patties to mix in with shredded & ground up newspaper.   the manure should be composed for a year and then heated to kill every thing that is in the leftovers heat in oven to about 180F for 15 min.   then enjoy...

Mark M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Dan_Shade

Do you use the oven while your wife is away, Spiker?    :D

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

SwampDonkey

I know a couple of women that would put him out in the cow pasture for good. :D

Patty

The mushroom experiment was a bust in my opinion. We got 1 good crop and then they died. I tried mist, water, everything I could think of and they still died.  They turned out to be pretty expensive mushrooms sine we only got 1 lousy crop. I am not sure I will try that one again. Or at least order the kit from another vendor.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

isawlogs

Patty, them pics of those 'shrooms was worth every penny for me. I will going for a walk here over the weekend and see what I can bring home. We do have some of those funny coloured ones that where fairly popular at one time  :P

Quote from: Burlkraft on May 07, 2010, 10:17:54 PM
Quote from: LeeB on May 07, 2010, 06:00:35 PM

Yup!  ;D  ;D  ;D

It's amazing how many actualy made it past the teens. :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

LeeB

Norm

Or the 20's for some....of course not me!  :D

LeeB

I see them growing every now and then and for just a fleeting second,,,,,,naw, no way. I barely survived my last dose and not sure at all if I retained any sanity.

D Hagens

Quote from: Patty on June 17, 2011, 06:12:31 PM
The mushroom experiment was a bust in my opinion. We got 1 good crop and then they died. I tried mist, water, everything I could think of and they still died.  They turned out to be pretty expensive mushrooms sine we only got 1 lousy crop. I am not sure I will try that one again. Or at least order the kit from another vendor.

When the shrooms are ready to pick, take the spores off of them, sprinkle them on top of the dirt and the silver web will appear again and act as a canopy.
I would say that they got too much water and rotted. A cool room with a very little amount of mist is what they like.
I know a lot about growing shrooms but it's better if I don't post it here :) :)

scgargoyle

I read an article put out by the University of North Carolina on how to grow shiitakes in your woods. Deep shady woods, oak logs, and some spores and you're good to go. I'm going to try it once I'm living at my place in SC.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

SPIKER

One day I'll remember to take a few pics of the ones I got growing at my place.   they are on Red Oak and some Hard Maple.    I got a nice batch of white oster mushrooms about 2 weeks back one quick flush of them and they were gone.   I got to them a little late as the bugs had 3/4 of them ate up pretty good...

got nothing off the chicken of the woods yet or the Morel patches 2nd year for them all.

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

SwampDonkey

Whiskey jacks harvest mushrooms to, they hide them up in the fir thickets. Seen them doing it.  :D

cinnabar

My Dad has been growing the shiitakes for almost 20 years now in his woods.  What they can't eat they sell locally, both dry and fresh.  Quite a production as he now needs help, cutting the oak, inocculating them, moving the water soaked oak logs out of the tank and stacking them.  He's 80 and I think he will scale back the operation due to health issues.  We help when we can and we(I) love to cook with them.  They are soooo good for you too.
cinnabar

Thank You Sponsors!