iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cupping and end grain

Started by TLahti, April 29, 2010, 06:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLahti

Hi All:
I am new to bandsaw milling, and I am not experienced at fine wood working.
After squaring up a log, I usually start cutting boards from one side, and continue down thru the beam until it is too thin to cut anymore, usually about 2 inches thick.
  With this method, the first few boards have broad widely spaced growth rings, and as I get closer to the center, they get closer together, and more square to the face of the board.
I see from a book about lumber, that the first few boards are called "slash cut" and the boards that are cut close to (and thru) center are called "rift cut". The book also mentions "quarter sawing", which keeps the grain similiar to the "rift cut". I have heard of quarter sawing, but it seems nearly impossible with a bandsaw mill.
   My question is, how does the grain orientation affect cupping and warpage?
Do the outer boards warp more than the center cut boards?
   If either warps more, should an effort be made to cut thicker stock from this area of the log?
   Thanks to all the contributers of this great forum.
Terry

woodmills1

I have seen many boards cup, but the most have the pith, center of the tree, in the middle.  Some species of tree are more forgiving, but for the most part any board cut that has  the middle of the tree in it will bend up around that center

now, I think hickory will bend no matter what just to spite you, as well as small white oak.  Pine up here tends to be flat no matter what but don't try for a 22 inch board through the center

just for grins cut a nice 8 inch wide pine from the outside of a good log and just throww it on the ground........2 days later mr sun will curl it like you can't amagin....then turn it over...2 days later...flat...2 days later...o well you get it
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

SwampDonkey

This thread on quartering may lead to others on the same subject. A little searching (search function) can find you lots of information. ;D

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,27916.0.html
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Okrafarmer

Quote from: woodmills1 on April 29, 2010, 10:52:28 PM
I have seen many boards cup, but the most have the pith, center of the tree, in the middle.  Some species of tree are more forgiving, but for the most part any board cut that has  the middle of the tree in it will bend up around that center

So when you are sawing a log, what do you do with the pith? Most videos I've seen, people saw right through it and keep going.

Also, I am looking forward to finding ways to do quarter sawing on the bandsaw mill after we get it set up and get the hang of using it the regular way.  :P
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

SwampDonkey

I have some cherry cants here from juvenile and pith and every one busted apart from checking. Pretty much firewood.

I don't think they're sawing right through it unless it's a small operation and a well behaved species of wood that there is a demand for. With softwood like spruce they use pretty much the whole log, but hardwood I think they dry it for posts if they have the facilities or make firewood. Most small operators do saw it, but any I've had done are not stable, such as cherry, ash, maple and yellow birch. They all warp and check when air dried. But, with the nature of sawing you don't follow the true heart all the way down the log, you run out of it, so maybe you get a 4 foot piece of clear.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Just to make other info available and to save some typing time, this link on another recent thread might be informative.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,41916.0.html

Thank You Sponsors!