iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood Processors ?

Started by logloper, May 22, 2010, 07:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logloper

I hope this is the right place to post this. We sell alot of firewood, utilizeing our junk logs in this way. As you know its alot of labor. We are looking at firewood processors to eliminate most of the labor. Have been looking at the Woodbine Pro. Do any of you have any input ,good or bad, on this brand? How about on another brand? Looking for advice and input before we buy and are stuck with a poor quality machine. We are looking at the "under 50K" money range. Thanks all

woodmills1

I like my multitek 1610, but it is small, but it is half your price limit
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Ron Wenrich

There are several things you want to consider when you're buying a processor.  One is the type of saw you want to use.

The Woodbind Pro uses a slasher type of saw from what I've seen.  They run fairly well and have their limitations.  Other types use a chain saw type of apparatus.

You have to look at the type of hold downs.  Those without hold downs are an accident waiting to happen.  Pieces can fly, saws can pinch, and stock can roll.  They don't seem important, but after you run for awhile, you can see the difference.

How does the equipment advance stock.  Flat belts and chains seem like a good idea.  They work well with straight logs.  As long as you keep them straight, all works well.  Put on a few crooked pieces and then your production slows. 

A booth for operator comfort is an added feature.   No booth means that your worker works in the rain and snow or blistering sun.  Those are the probable times that it won't be sitting idle.  Its an add on you'll have to consider.

We're running a large Multi-Tek.  I'm not saying its the best machine in the world, but it does have some good features.  We're running it about 4-5 days per week all year long.  The demand for firewood remains strong, and we sell to wholesalers. 

If you're only planning on using it a few days a week, then you don't need the bells and whistles.  You can bypass the weather.  But, if its to be a linch pin of your operations, than you want to look at every processor out there and get what will give you optimum production for the least cost.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!