Draw for handbuilt acoustic guitar get your name in

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Land  (Read 4983 times)

Offline Ernie

• Senior Member x2
  • I woke up without a toe tag, I'm in for a great da
    • Share Post
Re: Land
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 10:14:58 PM »
Our local council has valued our 40 acres at $660000.00 bare land not counting improvements like fences, trees, houses, sheds.  At that sort of price, you can only farm till the money runs out.  Surprisingly enough that is the value upon which they base our property taxes.  It's just as well I get the old age pension of $256.00 a week or I wouldn't survive.  Property taxes are only 18% of my pension. So I have a few pennies left for gas for the mill >:(
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2011, 09:23:42 AM »
The driving force with our land value is "Recreational Use".  Also, hunters pay $15 and up per year for hunting leases.  Those folks also shoot what walks to justify those hefty leases.   >:(
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline northwoods1

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2011, 10:11:13 AM »
The driving force with our land value is "Recreational Use".  Also, hunters pay $15 and up per year for hunting leases.  Those folks also shoot what walks to justify those hefty leases.   >:(

Now days around here the driving force behind values is increased need for farm land. Tillable land is at a premium, mostly caused by large dairies w/thousands of cows. They need so much land for hay and more importantly , to dispose of waste. Decent tillable land is going for about 3k an acre. You won't find much for less than 2k and that is any kind of land. I have watched what has happened closley in the last 20 years here and it is amazing. Land prices just never seen to drop it is an ever increasing spiral up and up.

Offline Norm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2011, 10:45:56 AM »
In Iowa the farm land is being used for urban sprawl. Developers come in and section it off into 5 acre parcels so city folks can feel like they are in the country. The pols love it because it drives up the tax base.

Offline northwoods1

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2011, 11:10:27 AM »
In Iowa the farm land is being used for urban sprawl. Developers come in and section it off into 5 acre parcels so city folks can feel like they are in the country. The pols love it because it drives up the tax base.

Norm, it is the same thing here when you get within 50 miles or so of the larger urban areas. I'm a fair bit farther out than that luckily. On the farm where I grew up near Green Bay it is all sprawl now, in fact the entire property is a golf course surrounded by $1,000,000or more homes , this is it
http://thornberrycreekcc.net/
all those photos are of the woods & fields I grew up on hunting and growing up as a lucky kid in the country. The last lot I saw sold there where the house I grew up in is on sold for $650k , and the beautiful brick house my dad had built in the late 50s' was torn down. So was the beautiful barn he built it made me about sick.
Oh, I think some day people will come to there senses and see that farm land and keeping it in production is what it truly valuable. Just my personal opinion, but why someone would feel the need to have a 10,000 sf house for maybe a couple people to live in just does not make sense. But what are you gonna do ??? :(
Me, I love having some farm land to take care of and make productive whether that be through crops or forestland. My belief is simple, leave it in better shape than when I got it.

Offline Autocar

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2011, 04:25:56 PM »
Where I growed up we had fence rows and woodlots in every section as the years ticked away the city comes closer. I use to stand outside and hear nothing in the winter but a hound barking treed or a horned owl. Now it is trucks hitting the rumble strips on the four lane thats half a mile south or speaker systems in three Japanees factorys a mile southwest of use. Between city sprawl and agriulture the fence rows are gone and woodlots disappear every year. It breaks my heat to think that we are literally losing are county side. Who the H wants to mow five acres of grass and on top of that they waste water like it will be there forever. Well I better settle down or Jeff will be shaking his finger at me. Personally I don't think theres to many people that thinks beyond the hood of the car. Sorry there I go again  ::)
Bill

Offline indiaxman1

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2011, 08:45:16 PM »
All the comments on urban sprawl are true for every rural area near a city.   Its a material mindset that makes folks think they need a mcmansion on a postage stamp of land.  Twenty years ago, our area was immune to development/subdivisions.  I was fortunate to acquire what was seen then as worthless wooded knobs.....am determined it will remain woods.  What was 500 an acre is now closer to 5000...there might be an upside to the housing recession....slow down the wiping out of woods and small farms.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Log value vs Land value

Started by terry f on Forestry and Logging

16 Replies
Last post May 24, 2012, 11:08:51 PM
by terry f
xx
Land use

Started by Texas Ranger on General Board

1 Replies
Last post August 03, 2018, 10:44:53 AM
by DDW_OR