iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old mix

Started by OAP, June 14, 2010, 06:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OAP

I have found 5 gallons of mix that is at least 4 months old in my shed, if its to old to use in my 395 xp would it be ok in a car mixed with more petrol? The stuff is to expensive to through out.

Rocky_J

Absolutely. That's how I get rid of all my old mix (when I have old mix).

Al_Smith

I dump it in the lawn mower or my old tractor .They don't care .

bandmiller2

My old tractors think past prime mix is ice cream.Mix is also good in air cooled engines that tend to run dry and hot in the head synthetic mix more the better. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

jteneyck

The catalytic converter and O2 sensor(s) in your car/truck might not like 2-stroke mix.  Oils often contain metal compounds that can poison them.  A new converter costs someplace north of $1000.  I'm not saying it will happen, and it seems Rocky has had no trouble putting it in his vehicle, but I woudn't do it.  I put mine in my lawn mower mixed no more than 50% with straight gas.   

SawTroll

Quote from: jteneyck on June 14, 2010, 09:17:43 PM
The catalytic converter and O2 sensor(s) in your car/truck might not like 2-stroke mix.  Oils often contain metal compounds that can poison them.  A new converter costs someplace north of $1000.  I'm not saying it will happen, and it seems Rocky has had no trouble putting it in his vehicle, but I woudn't do it.  I put mine in my lawn mower mixed no more than 50% with straight gas.   

I wouldn't put it in my 1994 car, but that one has a 4 cylinder turbo engine - if it was a US car with a V8, I would probably do it.
Information collector.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: jteneyck on June 14, 2010, 09:17:43 PM
What about using old gas and gas/oil a little at a time in a 7.3L Powerstroke diesel (Ford 2001)?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Rocky_J

The two cycle oil won't hurt the diesel motor a bit, but the gasoline is a big no-no.

arojay

What do you mean 'old' tractor.
[/i]

I have a carbureted truck that I've poured any questionable mix into since I bought it in the eighties, with no problems.  I don't do it with my newer vehicles.

I remember a pump or compressor that was powered by a Rogers engine.  It was designed to be started on gas then switched over to diesel in cold tempereatures.  Never seen one before or since.  I read a post on a diesel forum where some guy runs about 20% gas in his idi ford engine in the winter!  Kind of like sticking your finger in the fan, IMHO.
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Rocky_J on June 16, 2010, 07:00:28 AM
The two cycle oil won't hurt the diesel motor a bit, but the gasoline is a big no-no.
Was thinking about a gallon of gas/oil mix at a time in a full tank (38 gallons diesel).  Have been told a number of times this is ok (but maybe it isnt??).  So am wondering about the old gas aspect. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Al_Smith

Quote from: arojay on June 16, 2010, 09:43:00 AM

[/i]

In my case a 1951 Ferguson TO-20 with a TRW big bore kit . 8.5 to 1 comp ratio instead of the stock 6.5 to one ratio .

Those old gas start diesels were most likely International Harvester .They had a lever which lowered the comp ratio and aligned the intake with a carb and used a mag ignition  to start on gasoline  . On gas they would only run maybe 600 rpm if that .Once the engine was warmed up the lever was shifted which raised the compression ,shut off the carb and threw in the diesel injecters . They were used on many crawlers and farm tractors .M diesel,TD 6-9-14 to name a few plus numerious stationary engines in saw mills and the like .

maple flats

I have successfully used real old stale gas in both of my 30 yr old diesel tractors. I am talking 12 mos old or more. I add about a half gal in 5 gal fresh diesel. That is how I get rid of stale gas. Not sure I would go any more gas in the ratio and I might wait til it gets older at this point. just my 2 cents.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Al_Smith

Years ago it was common practice to add a little gas to the diesel fuel in cold weather before they thought of "winter diesel fuel " .They didn't use much gas,maybe a gallon or two in a 55 gallon drum full . Most of the times the dang things wouldn't start anyway unless you wrapped a tarp over them and used a salamander heater to warm them up first . Then blow white smoke for twenty minutes untill they started hitting on all the cylinders .

OAP

I wont take the chance then. How old is to old for mix I dont want to ruin the saw either?

arojay

Quote from: Al_Smith on June 16, 2010, 04:42:52 PM
Quote from: arojay on June 16, 2010, 09:43:00 AM

[/i]

In my case a 1951 Ferguson TO-20 with a TRW big bore kit . 8.5 to 1 comp ratio instead of the stock 6.5 to one ratio .

Those old gas start diesels were most likely International Harvester .They had a lever which lowered the comp ratio and aligned the intake with a carb and used a mag ignition  to start on gasoline  . On gas they would only run maybe 600 rpm if that .Once the engine was warmed up the lever was shifted which raised the compression ,shut off the carb and threw in the diesel injecters . They were used on many crawlers and farm tractors .M diesel,TD 6-9-14 to name a few plus numerious stationary engines in saw mills and the like .

THAT WAS THE TRACTOR SPEAKING!
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

John Mc

Quote from: OAP on June 17, 2010, 04:18:45 AM
I wont take the chance then. How old is to old for mix I dont want to ruin the saw either?

Are you running gas with ethanol in it? When I'm stuck with that stuff, I dump it after a few weeks max. (Unfortunately, that's going to be all I can get around here before too long.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

OAP

I have no idea whats in the petrol because its sold as petrol  or 5 star petrol which is a few cents more and they dont advertise whats in it. I will try to find out now though, how long should it keep with out ethanol?
I live in Ireland .

Rocky_J

In the days before they started adding ethanol here, I used to be able to use 3-4-5 month old gas with absolutely no issues whatsoever. I would park my weed wacker in the fall with a half tank of fuel and it would fire back up in March or April with no problems. Been a little more difficult these last few years and now it needs a carb kit. Not bad considering it's about 17 years old.

Al_Smith

If it weren't for ethanol I wouldn't have got so good at rebuilding carbs . :D

jteneyck

QuoteI have no idea whats in the petrol because its sold as petrol  or 5 star petrol which is a few cents more and they dont advertise whats in it. I will try to find out now though, how long should it keep with out ethanol?

If you add gas stabilizer to your gas it will be OK for a year, whether or not it has ethanol.  The product I use is called Stabil.  I drain and run dry my saws after I'm done cutting for the year, but I'm not so nice to my weedwacker or two cycle snow thrower.  I've had no problem with either as long as I used Stabil in the gas.  Before I started using it I had several problems with both, and that was before our gas had ethanol in it.  The new Stihl HP Ultra two cycle oil has a gas stabilizer in it.  I still use Stabil  in the gas, even when I'm using HP Ultra, but I've heard others comment that they've left equipment over the Winter with no problems the next Spring having used only the HP Ultra in their fuel mix.  I think it is wise to use some sort of fuel stabilizer in any fuel you use, whether or not that fuel contains ethanol.
And I've heard Ireland gets just a wee bit of rain, so you should take extra precautions to use air tight fuel containers.  

boobap

I use my old mix to start my fire pit...after the black smoke goes away, it is good to go. of course i let it soak into the kindling and such!

jteneyck

Oh, I forgot one further and important comment.  Ethanol in gas shortens the life of most rubber fuel components - fuel lines, internal carb. parts, etc. - whether or not you use fuel stabilizer.  So it is good practice to drain your fuel tank when you're done cutting then start the saw again and gently run it 'till it dies.  As I said earlier, I'm not always that nice to my saws and, as a result, I've replaced a lot of fuel lines and rebuilt quite a few carbs. in the past several years, so many that I'm getting better at remembering to follow my own advice. 

And if you do have ethanol in your gas, make sure you retune the carb. on any new saw.  It seems as if the saw manufacturers tune them for straight gasoline and they are forced to tune them as lean as possible to meet emission regulations.  So if you run ethanol containing gas in the saw it will be too lean (because the air/fuel ratio to burn ethanol is lower than for gas) and the saw will have a much shorter life - a life most likely measured in months instead of years. 

John

OAP

[  So if you run ethanol containing gas in the saw it will be too lean (because the air/fuel ratio to burn ethanol is lower than for gas) and the saw will have a much shorter life - a life most likely measured in months instead of years. 

John                                                                                                                                             I better adjust the carb then if the damage has not already been done thanks for the tip.

John Mc

Now you've got me wondering... is ethanol in gas just a US / Canada thing, or has that farce been inflicted on those of you in Europe as well?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

OAP

Its here to I'm afraid,  I've been trying to get more information about what petrol has the bigger percentage ethanol and where to get ethanol free petrol but I have had no luck so far.

Thank You Sponsors!