The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Peterson Sawmills  (Read 12626 times)

Offline Rod

• I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
Re: Peterson Sawmills
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2003, 08:29:41 AM »
Phil,tell her that if you get a Peterson that you will make a bunch of money from owning it.

That should work

One more question KiwiJake

Does the mill have a place were you might be able to hook up a sawdust hose?

No big deal really,if not I'll just setup on a grate floor and let the sawdust fall through the floor,then use the loader to scoop up the dust.

But I might setup permanent and let the log trucks come to the mill

Offline DanG

• Senior Member x2
  • DanG, The Official ForestryForum Cussword
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2003, 06:49:47 PM »
Phil, here's what ya do.  Go out and rent a half dozen pianos.Get some big ol' oak logs and put them in the driveway.  Now initiate the following dialogue:

Phil- Honey, I've got all those logs to saw up before you can get the car out of the garage, but I have to tune 6 pianos, so you'll have to do the sawing.

Wife- Huh?

Phil- Really now, gotta go. Love ya!

Wife- B-b-but, I can't handle that chainsaw! :o

Phil-  Well unless you can tune a piano, you'll have to figure it out.  If we had a swing mill, we wouldn't be in this mess. BYE!

After this, she'll go for any kind of mill but a chainsaw. ;D

Trust me. I've been divorced 3 times, and I know what I'm talking about. ::) ::) :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Offline C_Miller

• Full Member x2
  • yes, we have trees in New York
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2003, 03:35:58 AM »
DanG now I feel compelled to bring up tha age old question.

Howcome you can tune a piano but not tuna fish?  they both got scales you should be able to tune 'em both. :)

On a more serious note (sorry)  I was thinkin to use the swing mill to  1) Break down cant on the loading deck
         2) use it on site in the tight  areas
         3) square up logs for log cabins and  timber frames
         4) can it cut dados for splines?
I'm sure I'll think of more stuff later.

C

CJM

Offline Sven Christiansen

• Share Post
    • www.woodmizer.com
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2003, 07:12:07 AM »
Also the reason I like your mill over the other mills is for one I don't have the bandblades to ajust

Also it will produce as may board feet per hour as an LT70 with the Cat motor.

And also the price difference  of about $15,000 more for the LT 70 Cat verses the Peterson
I'd suggest being very careful comparing any swinger's productivity to the LT70.  Apples vs Orange.

Offline Rod

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2003, 07:34:00 AM »
Sven, what do you mean?

Please explain

• Share Post
    • www.woodmizer.com
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2003, 08:24:35 AM »
Sven, what do you mean?

Please explain
If you use the production numbers we have published, that's based on cutting edged, 1" red oak.  The LT70 with the 61HP Cat engine comes up with around 800 bdft per hour.  Over an eight-hour day that's 6400 bdft of 1" red oak. (There are a number of other variables involved as well...)

You know what they say about statistics...

I'm simply saying that one should be very careful when making production comparisons.

Offline Rod

• Share Post
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2003, 09:47:44 AM »
Thanks Sven,Maybe when Jake gets back he can tell us how Petereson came up with their 800 bf per hour.

Or maybe its on their web site and I over looked it.

thanks

Offline KiwiJake

• Full Member x2
  • Swingin' for a livin'
    • Share Post
    • petersonsawmills.com
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2003, 09:56:35 AM »
Sven, for knowledge sake on a 38" log how would one cut 7"x9" cants, with out rehandling sections of the log (7x9 ties are HEAVY).  Would you cut the log through out horizontally 7" (surely the band would get some mega resistance from the wieght as it cuts), once this is done do you rotate the cut up log 90 degrees and cut the square ties out of it with the remainder 9" sections, surely you wouldn't cut every tie individually. If the log does cut this way would one have to fish out the slabs and the good wood at the end or does the machine have a hydraulic clearing arm to load the cut up sections directly on to eg a forklift.  3/6 logs at a time are handy. I would just like to know a little more on your machine. Wieght comes with horse power, and so does extra mechanical gadgets for the justification of the horse power.

SHOOTOUT, is around the corner so maybe it is a little early to be pulling comparisons.  :)

Offline Rod

• Share Post
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2003, 10:09:39 AM »
Thats a good point Jake :P

Sounds like your ready for the shootout 8) 8) 8)

• Share Post
    • www.woodmizer.com
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2003, 10:20:22 AM »
I would just like to know a little more on your machine.
http://www.woodmizer.com/sawmills/professional/LT70.html

Now, about the ties.  Here in America, one log produces one tie because you can only use the boxed heart.  Period.

So, the rest of the log is good for dimensional lumber. Perfect for the flexibility of the LT70 (or any other Wood-Mizer for that matter).

If someone simply wants to cut large cants for resaw, the LT70 will more than handle all the requirements.

The LT70 also has log loading and board drag back to make things easier (that's an understatement) for the user.  And don't worry about the blade... They do quite well.

If you or anyone is interested in seeing this done in person, you don't have to wait until next October at the Shootout.  Come to a show near you where we're exhibiting the LT70 (or whichever mill you're interested in).  We'll cut you a tie and other dimensional lumber on the spot.

http://www.woodmizer.com/support/servev.html[/i]

One final note.  I really don't want to get into a shouting match (and I hope no one interprets this discussion as such).

Offline Rod

• Share Post
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2003, 10:41:46 AM »
The tie buyers will take ties that are not boxed here in the US,but by the tie rules you are right that the tie is only to be boxed

They just don't like it if you cut straight through the heart but some times that doesn't matter,just depends how bad they need the ties.

And I have seen the LT70 with the Cat motor when I was I PA.

Its a great mill

Offline Rod

• Share Post
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2003, 11:06:20 AM »
Sven,I was just asking questions.

And they way I've got it figured is even if I did just cut cants for the pallet buyers I would need 4''x6'' or 5 1/2''x6'' cants that brings $300 mft,were a 5/4x6'' brings $250mft

logically I would think they would give more for the 5/4 by they don't.

I know they is a reason for that but I haven't figured that out yet. :P

Offline RevCant

• So. Maryland Swinger
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2003, 04:38:43 PM »
I can't resist :).  I've owned 3 Woodmizers and now I own a Peterson 8WPF.  The last WM was the LT40 Super Hydraulic with remote.  A very nice machine.  I got tired of sharpening blades, trying to deal with big logs, and wavy lumber.  I sold the mill, bought a Peterson, added a Lou Brown electric lift, and have seldom looked back.  Yeah, its hard to cut stuff under 8 inches, but who wants that stuff on any mill ::)?  I have cut some pretty big stuff (62" dia), but I mostly cut average logs and get consistantly flat, square lumber.

Important note.  Manufacturer claims are just that. The real world is a different place.  I'm sure the ASM is an awesome machine, as well as the LT70.  Nobody is going to cut 800bdft an hour day in and day out without a lot of support equipment and manpower.  But if you can afford an LT70, you can probably afford the little extras :D!
If cows could only tail....

Offline ARKANSAWYER

• Senior Member x2
  • Poor white Southern trash
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2003, 08:13:03 PM »
  Rod,
 You should check with them tie buyers again.  I do not know of a tie buyer (there could be one) that will buy a hardwood tie that the heart is not boxed.  Ties have to be straight and if you cut 4 ties from a 20 inch oak log they will not be straight very long.  If you put 3 oak logs under a swing mill that are 15 inch in dia then how are you going to get them out?  You will have 3 200lb ties to pick up and move before you get 3 more logs in there.   Logs in and waste out then more logs in and waste out.   I call it a good day when I cut 20 to 25 ties and 1,200 bdft of lumber.  You can make more off of the grade then you can the tie.
  What are you going to have to pay for logs?   What are you getting for Ties?  You said that you get $300mbdft for pallet cants and that is very good.  Do you have a loader that can lift 5,000 lbs to put them ties on the truck?  Do you have a way to lift them logs off of the truck?  Do you have a way to move all of them slabs and sawdust as well as a place to put them?  My little band saw cuts 200 to 250 bdft an hour and makes 1/3 the sawdust and at the end of the day you can shovel 5 wheelborrow loads of sawdust and 2 bundles of slabs will have to be hauled off as well 3 bundles of grade lumber and 1 bundle of ties has to be banded and moved.
 Just because a mill can cut 800 bdft an hour does not mean you can produce 19 ties an hour 8 hours a day.
 KiwiJake,
 My little 25hp can pull my 1 1/4 blade while cutting a 28x26 cant in half with out any problems but I have had a 12 inch hickory grab it and not let go.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Offline Rod

• Share Post
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2003, 09:03:47 PM »
I have checked with the tie buyers,I can get 17.50 for mixed hardwoods,oaks bring 19.50,I can get the junk wood for free but I have to pay the loggers $160 mft to bring them to me.

The Peterson has a drag back

I was thinking of just letting the drag back slide the ties on to the forks.

and you don't stack the logs on top of each other But you place them on log dogs if there small logs.

And yes I have forks that will pick up 3500 lbs

The guys around here have grapples on there log trucks for unloading the logs.

If the slab pile get to big I will just burn them

Or sale them for fire wood

Or  dump them over the mountion

The ties don't have to be banded either

The sawdust I will just scoop up with the loader.

And I get paid fridays after noon on ties.

Pallet cants are FOB.

What they have done around here is they have been  cutting slective over the years and there are some big cull and junk wood that they need removed so the red oaks can have room to grow.

Like Hemlock,there are companies that are give $200mft now

I can cut that and sale it the the people aronf here for $400mft

A person could even bid on some timber and sale the high grade off and keep the low grade

The big timber companies like Plum creek,Coastal just to name a few need those tree removed

Offline DanG

• Senior Member x2
  • DanG, The Official ForestryForum Cussword
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2003, 09:04:47 PM »
That's sorta the point I was trying to make over in that other thread, Arkey. Most any mill can outcut it's operator. You either gotta have automation or lots of help to get the max out of the mill. As you add more overhead in salaries, fuel, payments on support eqpt, etc. you have to be sure these items increase production enough to pay for themselves. With wise management, the smaller operator can take a larger portion of a smaller pie, and put coin in his pocket with less headaches. You can't be skeert of hard work, though. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Offline Rod

• Share Post
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2003, 09:24:52 PM »
Also with the Peterson I don't have to mess with those bandblades either

The money I can save buying the Peterson I might buy a band resaw for cants if I need to.

Offline KiwiJake

• Full Member x2
  • Swingin' for a livin'
    • Share Post
    • petersonsawmills.com
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2003, 10:05:18 PM »
Hey Rod, to save loading down time and increase production (forklifts are cool) you could stack three logs on your dogged base skids, stack three logs on a second dogged skid on top of your three logs. So basicly you have two layers of 3 dogged logs. The ASM has a large frame, you might aswell use it. So, even if you can only get one tie out of each log you still get production at the end of the day. A band resaw IS a good purchase and I would completely agree that it is not a neccesity but a value added investment.

Arky, you may see a bit more sawdust with a swinger but it's the price you pay for consistancy and production.

Sven, whats wrong with comparing apples to oranges, one may have a bit more tang than the other (if thats what your looking for :D)

Offline Norm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2003, 04:47:01 AM »
I don't cut wavy stuff on my bandmill unless I'm doing something wrong like using a dull blade or trying to cut too wide a board in white oak. If I break a log down to a 12" wide cut they run very true and I can up the tension and go like a bat out of he!!.

I still have not seen how a swinger handles tension in logs. I wish we got all logs with a perfectly centered heart but most are not that way. Captain gave a good explanation on how he did it but I guess I'll just have to see it done as seeing it done sinks in better for me.

Hey I got an idea, WM can send me an lt-70 and Peterson's can send me their new mill and I'll do an un-biased report. I should have it finished in 2 years, 3 tops. :D

Offline Rod

• Share Post
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2003, 05:09:25 AM »
Thats a good idea Jake

And just for agrument sake lets forget the ties and move on to pallet cants

How would a bandsaw go about cutting 5 1/2''x6'' cants from a log?

We already no how a Peterson would do it,.

And ARKANSAWYER said that just because the company say you can cut 800 feet and hour doesn't mean you will average that in an 8 hour day

He said he cuts 200-250 average per hour per day

So my question is what does your company say you can cut per hour with your mill?

Blade cost on a Peterson for cutting an 8 hour,3-6 mbdf a day is almost next to nothing the way I've got it figured.

How much would it be for bands?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Peterson sawmills

Started by Dave Shepard on Sawmills and Milling

19 Replies
Last post November 24, 2007, 10:36:15 PM
by Furby
xx
NEED A LITTLE ADVICE ON PETERSON SAWMILLS.

Started by dredgeslavedave on Sawmills and Milling

43 Replies
Last post March 03, 2006, 09:35:09 PM
by dredgeslavedave
xx
Peterson Sawmills going down the tubes

Started by Mike_Barcaskey on General Board

22 Replies
Last post November 16, 2005, 06:24:54 AM
by Captain
xx
peterson,lucas,rimu sawmills