The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

KNOW WHAT?
Between February 12, 2018 and June 18, 2018, this space displayed 13 Million, 871 Thousand and 87 times.

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Sawing at the county fair  (Read 6569 times)

Offline Qweaver

• Senior Member x2
  • The cabin is done and we love it
    • Share Post
Re: Sawing at the county fair
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2010, 07:49:57 AM »
The first day was very slow.  There was a threat of rain and very few people came out to the fairgrounds.  The rest of the week is looking better and some of the "old timer exhibitors" say that Friday and Sat. will be the best days.
Our setup is good and the loading, sawing and off bearing process worked well.  Bring on the crowds.  8)
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Offline Bibbyman

• Senior Member x2
  • Pro-Sawyer Mary and Bibbyman
    • Share Post
    • Warden Sawmill
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2010, 08:30:26 AM »
Sawing in front of the general public can be interesting.  A few have a clue and the rest dont.  Youll get some interesting questions.  It would be fun to take note of some of them and share with us.

Weve had people stand and watch the whole process and then question what we are doing and why were doing it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Offline Qweaver

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2010, 09:32:12 AM »
Yeah, people that haven't had practice making and working from drawings have a hard time orienting  3D objects.  A man last evening that had watched a circle sawmill once could not understand that all we had done was turn the process 90deg.  I tried to explain but he just never got it.  My wife is the same, bless her heart.  I make a drawing and when it's built I hear..."I didn't think it would look like that".
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Offline Bibbyman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Warden Sawmill
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2010, 09:53:27 AM »
I worked with an engineer on a major project.  He could not visualize anything on an assembly drawing.   I had to detail out all the parts and have prototype parts made and assembled in the development lab before he could get it.  It took a lot of extra time on the project.  He got caught in one of the early cutbacks and got a job at the bank as an accountant.  He was real good with numbers and anal about detail.  It was a better career for him.
Sawing since '94

Offline Qweaver

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2010, 09:43:29 PM »
The first day was pretty much a total loss.  Just a few watchers and the constant threat of rain.  Today was much better.  Several watchers, lots of questionsw and we sold 24 raffle tickets.  Tomorrows weather is going to be perfect and I think we will have a crowd.
Today was fun.  Woodmizer sent us a "show kit" with fliers and log scales.  We are trying to give these to people that show real interest in having a sawmill.  I'll get some pictures of our setup tomorrow.

Online Dan_Shade

• Senior Member x2
  • I don't want to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
    • Shade Custom Sawing
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2010, 10:15:26 PM »
sounds like you're having "fun"

I'm sure you'll end up with some stories to tell.  I vividly remember one fella passionately telling me that there was no way my rig could cut a board due to it's design faults, and his old belsaw was way better.  I got a headache over that one, but ended the conversation when I referenced the big stack of boards beside the fence i had just sawn.

Nothing like talking the general public to let us know how smart our friends are :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Offline woodhick

• I hope it don't clear off cloudy and come a dry drizzle!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2010, 09:25:12 PM »
I've done a couple of demos for a local woodworking club of which I am a member also.   Both times I supplied the wood and donated it to the club to be auctioned off at the end of the day.  Proceeds went to the club.  Remember this is woodworkers so I always tried to find something "different" or with character as that is what they always want.   Last time I had two killer nice persimmon logs that sawed out some very nice lumber.   Couldnt even get a bid of $.50 a foot.  I ended up buying it myself and bringing it home.  I also had some nice large basswood since there are some carvers in the club and they had requested it.   They all got together before the auction and low-balled the bids and then split the wood.  I told them that would be the last time I would do a demo for them.  Howver all-in all I met some nice new people and got a couple of jobs from it so it is fun but I would be careful of his offer to supply the lumber.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2010, 07:29:52 AM »
I've worked with friends at fairs and shows milling.Bibs right about some of the questions you get,but once in a wile you will run into an old codger that knows his stuff and can have a real conversation and learn something.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Offline fishpharmer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2010, 10:08:15 AM »
You could offer to saw on halves at the fair.  Take your time, a long time, to saw some of the logs.  Answer all the questions.  Take your time to teach folks, make friends and maybe customers.  Isn't that what a demo is  about?

When the demo is over saw the rest of the logs for full price. :)
Just an idea.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Offline Qweaver

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2010, 10:15:34 PM »
The fair is over and I have mixed feelings about calling it a success.  We sawed for two sessions a day during the week and there were usually only a few people watching.  We were able to run 7 raffles which made $150 and we split it 75/25.  The fair people were happy with that split and even offered to let me have it all to cover expenses.   But I know they struggle to stay in the green so 25% was plenty for me. 
Our last session today was the best with a pretty good crowd (15 to 20 coming and going) watching and asking questions.
I had several people say that they would like to have logs sawn but no actual jobs. 
We essentially gave away the lumber but I have more logs stacked than I can use...so no big loss.   And the main reason to do the show was to drum up interest and the lumber raffles helped.
Would we do it again?  Probably not.  It was a lot of work to set up and I will spend most of the day tomorrow getting every thing back home and ready to go back to work.  If each day had been like this last session, then OK.  It's hard to compete with dirt track races, mud bogs and bands. 
We'll have to see if we get any business from this and then think about other fairs.
Quinton

Offline DanG

• Senior Member x2
  • DanG, The Official ForestryForum Cussword
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2010, 11:04:45 PM »
Q, I'll bet you get some jobs from that.  Some of those folks are just glad to know that there is someone to cut their logs for them when they're ready, and you're the one they'll call.  If you decide to do it again, try doing shorter but more frequent demos.  If you're getting 15-20 onlookers twice a day, you can get 15-20 eight times a day.  They don't care to see you cut up a whole log, they just want to see a couple of boards come off and then talk with you about it.  If you have a cant on there and a guy comes along and wants to see you cut a board, then crank it up and cut him one.  More than likely, his wife and young'ns are pulling at him to move along, so make it short and sweet.  Most of them ain't gonna make it back if your next demo is 3 or 4 hours away.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Offline Bibbyman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Warden Sawmill
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2010, 05:19:44 AM »
Did you hand out business cards?
Sawing since '94

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2010, 06:11:18 AM »
Quint,you planted the seed thats all anyone can do.Sometimes the ones that want alot of milling done you'll never hear from and the quiet little guy has a big woodlot and needs a new barn.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Offline paul case

• Senior Member x2
  • Original wearer of the PCM.
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2010, 04:46:20 PM »
business cards are the ticket. i get more business from them than paper ads.pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Offline Qweaver

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2010, 11:15:30 AM »
Just to follow up here.
I have had more saw jobs in the six weeks after the sawing demo than I had all of last year.  In fact we're sawing a little more than us two old fools want to.    I usually ask how the customer found me and most either saw me at the fair or were told about me by someone that saw me there.  So it was certainly worth the effort...plus it was a lot of fun.  I also want to thank Woodmizer for their help on very short notice.
Quinton 

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2010, 01:48:51 PM »
Wonderful.  Your testimony should encourage others to do county fairs, etc.  Those events are the best and cheapest advertisement that I know of.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
County Fair

Started by cypresskayaksllc on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post April 12, 2012, 10:44:54 AM
by cypresskayaksllc
xx
Got home from the Wilson County Fair but

Started by just_sawing on Sawmills and Milling

3 Replies
Last post September 02, 2016, 03:02:08 PM
by halfkeck
xx
Demostrating at the Wilson County fair once again.

10 Replies
Last post August 17, 2012, 11:03:48 PM
by Lookin4lunkers
xx
Starting the Mill at the Wilson County Fair TN Fri

16 Replies
Last post August 18, 2014, 07:41:37 AM
by just_sawing