The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: building a band saw mill  (Read 6431 times)

Offline jwood

• I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
Re: building a band saw mill
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2003, 08:52:19 PM »
PA, ClunkerPlunker...LInn Lumber has a tape you can get on assembly and test of their 190 mill..it gives you all the info you need on the acme rods and the installation..it shows their head design ,how to adjust bands,wheels,blade guides,etc..  
Linn also has the belt clutch for less than some others..i have built two mills on linns design and they work well..i used the acme rods on the first and gears , chain an cable on the
second...the head on the second mill is so easy to raise an lower i'm thinking about changing the first one from the acme rods to gears an chain..cooks saw  has gears, chain ,blade guide rollers,sheaves..etc 1800 473 4804 ..they have a paper they can send to you with parts an such....good luck..

Offline PA

• Mans-burg en Plano
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2003, 09:26:07 AM »
CP, Thanks for the lead.. I checked them out on their site.. It looks like they hang the head on a couple roller chains from a top cross shaft, and maybe use some large springs on the tail of the chain like a garage door--Like a counter weight?? Then a bigear/little gear reduction roller chain to the crank??

Interesting!! I'll give the # a call..
'preciate it-
PA

Offline PA

• Mans-burg en Plano
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2003, 04:17:23 PM »
I decided to try the Cooks Saw method to raise and lower the  saw head . I ordered bearings, #40 roller chain, and gears from Cook, to hang the head,.I also ordered a 44", 1" keyed shaft and a #35 60 tooth gear and hub and chain, and a 4" brake from Northern for the crank reduction... The local overhead door shop has a 100# spring set for $30 I think I'll try. I hope to be able to use the 12V gear reducer /motor I have to raise and lower the head, and hopefully the counter weigt of the 100# springs will allow the motor to do the job. I appreciate the help and ideas, and will try and post some picks in a few weeks. Thanks for the input.
PA

Offline jwood

• I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2003, 06:22:40 PM »
 PA i was gonna use a garage door spring like on the lumber mate but after  seeing a homemade mill over in cross city an how easy it worked i skipped it..for the brake he used a piece of fan belt over a small sheave.it worked great.. i also saw that system used on a hud-son ..i think..at the ag show in moultrie..anyway it sounds like your well on your way ..
 good luck

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

question
Information on building a band mill

Started by sabre_tooth on Sawmills and Milling

4 Replies
Last post February 08, 2004, 01:01:14 PM
by jwood
xx
Building a band sharpner

Started by Kbeitz on General Board

6 Replies
Last post October 29, 2016, 11:35:01 AM
by Ox