The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: What livestock do you have?  (Read 10239 times)

Offline Norm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: What livestock do you have?
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2010, 08:27:05 AM »
That moose probably was aware of you naming things Marcel and didn't want his written on freezer paper. :D

Offline D Hagens

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2010, 11:44:39 PM »
 I have eight chickens and a dog. Yup big time farmer here, think it's time to retire. :D

Offline Faron

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2010, 07:07:32 AM »
We have about 130 head of angus cross cows.  We are also starting a Boer goat herd.  16 does right now. We should start kidding in a few days. I am looking at expanding both herds. I need more pasture to expand the cow herd. I can expand the goat herd without  much trouble.  Three horses that are pretty much in retirement.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Offline fishpharmer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2010, 07:54:05 AM »
Faron, do you pasture the goats with the cows?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Offline woodsteach

• My wife, 3 daughters, and mill.
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2010, 09:21:55 AM »
We run 85 pairs of mostly registered Angus and sell as grassfed/finished beef.  And produce bulls for a ranch in cheynne wells, colorado.

We've always had hayburners (horses) and are down to 1 cripple, 1 30 yr old dead broke roping/kid horse, and 1 Shetland pony that founders just looking at green grass.
 1 very fat pygmy goat that I purchased from a student. 
And this year we ventured into chickens.  Did the free range thing on the chickens and butchered 75 and kept 25 for layers.

To help keep the cash flowing we also custom graze b/t 75-100 of fall calving cows each summer.

Might add goats into the mix next year to help with the brush, but hate to feed to coyotes and bobcats too well ;)

woodsteach

Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Offline Norm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2010, 10:36:23 AM »
To help with the predators I would suggest you get a young donkey or two to raise with the goats so they bond with them. Ours will kill a dog or coyote that goes after what they consider part of their family.

Offline Okrafarmer

• Senior Member x2
  • Avast! Here appeareth some sweetgummery about....
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2010, 01:01:25 AM »
To help with the predators I would suggest you get a young donkey or two to raise with the goats so they bond with them. Ours will kill a dog or coyote that goes after what they consider part of their family.

One would be better than two. Two donks together get cliquish sometimes and ignore the other animals. My boss's two donkeys let the yotes get a goat our of the same pasture-- evidently they weren't near enough by that night, didn't care. Hanging out w/ each other.
No matter how conventional wisdom may fly in the face of radical thought, it's still the most popular type.

Turbosawmill 8" cut GX390 Warrior Sawmill, 13hp Honda
MS290 Stihl

Genesis Hardwood Lumber

Offline Okrafarmer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2010, 01:07:28 AM »
We just added the two little piglets Saturday.  8) 8)

They are reported to be 1/4 Landrace, 1/4 Poland China, and 1/2 Russian Boar. I saw both parents-- that Russian Boar daddy is one mean looking varmint! The piggys are white. We got them around 15 lbs. I put them in the garden but they kept getting out through the wire  >:(  So I built an 8x8 enclosure for them out of OSB (2' high) and they calmed down and got happy. My incorrigible kids have named the little blighters (Yeah, I know, don't start) Arthur and Samantha. Why, I don't know.
No matter how conventional wisdom may fly in the face of radical thought, it's still the most popular type.

MS290 Stihl

Genesis Hardwood Lumber

Offline Patty

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2010, 08:05:24 AM »
We always used to name our piggies after cuts of meat...pork chop & hammie were my favorites.  :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Offline isawlogs

• Senior Member x2
  • A smile is contagious ... Start an epidemic
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2010, 11:35:45 PM »
 Those work fine with me Patty  ;D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Offline Pudge

• Share Post
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2010, 07:17:30 PM »
I have horses,Mr Gennie,one big brown hen that lays eggs but mr gennie eats them. A few barn cats an dogs. Lookin for a donkey so maybe I quit loosing the little animals

Offline Faron

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2010, 08:45:31 PM »
Faron, do you pasture the goats with the cows?

Yes, that is what we are doing.  I think it would work to keep one big group of goats and move them to different pastures on a regular schedule.  I am learning that our humid weather and damp grass are not ideal for goats. 
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Offline Okrafarmer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2010, 10:16:49 PM »
 :P It's ideal to have your pastures divided up (permanently or temporarily) to where you can move the animals every 1-3 days. That translates into about 15-30 different paddocks or subdivision plots. Some of us wouldn't have time to move them that often. . . . . . Anyway in that case you would leave them in there just long enough to eat everything down to the target level, then move them out before they overgraze.

MS290 Stihl

Genesis Hardwood Lumber

Offline Faron

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2010, 06:52:46 AM »
I rotate cattle some, but have never been able to do it the way it should be done.  One problem is getting water to that many enclosures, and the other is it costs a lot for fencing.  We used to fence cattle with a single hot wire.  In recent years, our cows will find a way out without at least three strands of electric barbed wire.

Offline Okrafarmer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2010, 07:40:39 AM »
I rotate cattle some, but have never been able to do it the way it should be done.  One problem is getting water to that many enclosures, and the other is it costs a lot for fencing.  We used to fence cattle with a single hot wire.  In recent years, our cows will find a way out without at least three strands of electric barbed wire.

Yes, that can be a problem. For water, consider setting up a lane system allowing the cows to go through a narrow lane dedicated to always letting them get to the water. (should be at least 16-20 ft. wide or the cows will feel claustrophobic in it). For temporary fencing, consider electric netting. Only thing about that is, you have to make sure you take a weed eater, lawn mower, etc, and cut the grass out of the path of where you put the netting, so it doesn't short out. With cows you might be able to put it off the ground a few inches, unlike with sheep.

MS290 Stihl

Genesis Hardwood Lumber

Offline sandhills

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2010, 09:29:58 AM »
We rotate also, with our largest group but the lane idea wouldn,t work in this country unless you wanted a really long blow out. ;)

Offline pigman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2010, 10:30:08 PM »
I rotate my cows about every 4 or 5 days most times.
Faron, I have the opposite thing happen. I started with three hot wires and am now down to only one wire on all new fences. The only difference is that I finally bought a  good charger.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Offline isawlogs

• Senior Member x2
  • A smile is contagious ... Start an epidemic
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2010, 11:39:02 PM »

That moose afore mentioned .. wellll  it came back last night and took two fences out in his wunderings  >:(  I had to fix um this morning to put the horses out to pasture, both fences are in two different pastures , he walked up from the river both places ....  He/she is quite high on list of things that need be put in Freezer.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Offline Okrafarmer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2010, 11:48:58 PM »

That moose afore mentioned .. wellll  it came back last night and took two fences out in his wunderings  >:(  I had to fix um this morning to put the horses out to pasture, both fences are in two different pastures , he walked up from the river both places ....  He/she is quite high on list of things that need be put in Freezer.

I had one that kept visiting my calves when I lived in Maine. I learned to build certain spring releases in the fence along the trails he used to get in there-- that way I didn't have to rebuild the fence-- only pick up the wire and put it back in place. Spiffy. (I mean, the calves were going to get out whether the moose knocked the whole fence down or just the release gate, right?)

MS290 Stihl

Genesis Hardwood Lumber

Offline Kcwoodbutcher

• Startin' to get the hang of it
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2010, 02:30:59 PM »
Right now I'm down to about 40 horses and one mini-mule. I'm smart enough not to own any of them, I own a stable. At one time I was up to sixty here and managed a brood mare operation down the road with another 60. That was way too much. I don't mind taking care of the horses, they don't complain much, but most seem to be an accident waiting to happen. The owners require a lot more care. There's nothing worse than a older woman with no children,that horse is her baby and most of the time I can't seem to do anything right.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Livestock and forestry

Started by Phil on Forestry and Logging

21 Replies
Last post December 21, 2002, 05:06:11 PM
by Ed_K
xx
livestock tattoo

Started by Dan_Shade on General Board

14 Replies
Last post March 20, 2006, 09:31:05 PM
by Dan_Shade