iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Shed Under Roof

Started by dmartin, September 01, 2010, 07:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmartin

My sawmill shed is now under roof and the sawmill is too. Last fall I cleared an area for a new 40'x 36' sawmill shed and my neighbor removed the stumps and leveled the building site. The white pines were cut and milled over the winter and we poured concrete piers in the spring to set the Hemlock 6x6 posts on. When all the hardware, roofing and lumber was accumulated I hired 4 guys that had previously framed up the cabin and impliment shed to frame up the sawmill shed. They got it under roof with the windows and doors installed in 2 days. They work very fast and do quality work with minimal supervision, as usual I was impressed with the job they did. My neighbors helped to spread the stone for the floor and the mill is now out of the weather in it's new home. I still need to cut Hemlock and mill it for siding which is an enjoyable task. The attached pictures show some of the progress mostly just of the past few weekends even though the project was started months ago. I do have a question that maybe someone here can answer. The white pine logs that had been on the ground for awhile had alot of worm holes in them. The "worms" looked like big white grubs and left oblong holes about 3/8" long and 3/16" wide. Now that the lumber is in place and will they continue to bore holes and do I need to treat it with insectacide? They didn't bother the Hemlock, just the white pine.

bandmiller2

Demartin,those borers need the bark once you mill the lumber they will dissapear and if you don't mind the holes they do no harm. If you have some pine down and can't cut it right away get it off the ground and strip the bark when it loosens you can hold them quite a wile that way. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

"D" thats a nice shed you got there,Your really going to like being under cover,is it close enough to run electric  thats anouther spoiler. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

laffs

nice looking shed you got there.
like frank said when theres no bark the pine borers wont bother it
brent
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dmartin

Thanks for the info on the borers, I knew you guys would know about them. The holes dont bother me and the lumber is structurally sound. I am just glad to know that they wont continue to bore more holes. Bandmiller I could run power to it but it would be a long run (maybe 600 yards) through the woods. I did buy a small 900 watt generator for lights that will stay in the shed. I also have a gas powered Miller welder on a trailer with a 6000 watt generator that can be used when needed. For now that will be the only power available. The sawmill is more for a hobby and excercise than a business so availability of power is not as important as if it were my full time job.  

paul case

Quote from: dmartin on September 01, 2010, 07:34:16 PM

that is the coolest workbench made out of a stump ever sawed.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

whiskers

d, that's lookin good. I know you'll be pleased to be out of the weather. Since the bores won't be making anymore holes could I possibly interest you in a few thousand bees to replace the bores. The ones we have will drill a hole in a shovel handle. I know they would love it in Pa.
many irons in the fire.........

Meadows Miller

Gday

Like everyone else has said Thats one nice shed you got going together there it will look awsome when its done Mate  ;) ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Qweaver

Really nice shed!  But how will you handle the sawdust?  On my LT28, the logs load on one side and the sawdust is discharged on the other.  So I had to build a shed that was open on both sides. 
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

paul case

i want to hear the plan on that one too but i bet  that the mill can be moved out real easily and clean her out with the lil deere. i did see a pic on here somewhere of a trough made to catch the sawdust . looked like you could pull it away from the mill and dump it out. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

bugdust

Really great looking shed. I'm also planning to begin construction soon on my shed, and I really like your design. Just wondering, looks like your ceiling joists on the side shed are on about 10' centers, is that enough support to tie the rafters into for a heavy load. We seen 24" - 30" of "wet" snow in WV last winter which could easily be a 60#/sq. ft. load limit. Regardless, great job!
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

dmartin

Paul thanks for the comment on the workbench. Building that kind of stuff is fun, there is no need to be picky since its starting out as a stump. A chainsaw and a hammer some scrap wood and you have a workbench. As for the sawdust, with the tire and fender removed from the mill the little John Deere loader bucket will fit through there which is probably the best way to clean it up. I was also thinking of using the ATV with the little snow plow blade attached either way will work just need to see which way will work best. You guys are very observant, the original plan was to have enough room for the loader to fit through without removing the tire but I didn't "measure twice cut once".
Since it is a semi permanent installation I'll probably remove both tires and 1 fender.
Bugdust the joists are double 2"x8" on the 10' spans and double 2"x10" on the 20' span there are also 45 deg braces on them which add alot of support. I am not too concerned about the snow load but there have been serveral conversations about weather it will be a problem or not. The metal roof sheds snow very easily which is a good thing but as you know there could be quite a pile of snow on there under the right conditions. The guys that did the framing for me build quite a few barns and the guy in charge had no concerns with the joists he was confident that there would not be a problem there. What he did do was change the way I had planned to tie in the rafters on the top end where the side shed roof meets the main roof. He added additional support at that area and that is a good thing, the guy is experienced, has alot of common sense and very helpful. I do see why you asked about it though but I really don't think there will be a problem there.    

redbeard

Nice set up D"  Barn looks great you have plenty of strength, I built my drying shed same way using sauna tubes and post brackets and its been through alot of high wind storms. I'am doing the same thing your doing with the same mill part time and enjoying it. I bought the 10' extention but haven't installed it yet still figuring out if i want to keep it in spot i have although its been there since oct 96.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

redbeard

On eliminating saw dust on the port side, What i did is sliced a ABS double wall ribbed drain culvert in half and i added a longer plastic shute to band wheel cover so a good majority of dust fills the half pipe and you could drag it in and out with ATV. I off bear on that side so it got in my way but i do use it on occasion.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

customdave

Yes indeed a very nice building!, mine looks very simular in my dreams  :-\

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Handy Andy

Nice shed, what is the size of the lean-to for the mill?  And see the piers, how did you anchor your 6x6 posts down?  Can't wait to get my shed started, about have all the material scrounged up. 
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Burlkraft

Looks good  8)  8)  8)

Nothing like takin' boards right off the mill and puttin' 'em up.

Are ya gonna have a shed party?
Why not just 1 pain free day?

dmartin

Wiskers I apreciate the offer for the free bees but no thanks we have a few of them around also.
Andy the size of the lean-to is 12'x40'. The post anchors are made out of 2" angle iron 1/4" thick.
I think 1/4" is probably heavier than needed but I'd rather go too heavy than too light.
The angels are secured to the concrete with Tapcons and there are four 5/16" lag bolts into each post.
Redbeard how long of a log can you cut with the extensions?

Stan snider

"The angels are secured to the concrete with Tapcons"
D; I don't mean to tell you how to do things on your good lookin project, but having those angels hovering around in the rafters might  be better than tying them down. Sawmillin' can have it's hazards!  :D Stan

dmartin

I think maybe angles is a better word. A few Angels hovering around wouldn't be a bad thing.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: dmartin on September 14, 2010, 10:11:28 PM
The angels are secured to the concrete with Tapcons and there are four 5/16" lag bolts into each post.
Better check if your concrete is still there....
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

redbeard

Hello Dmartian i purchased the 10' extension when i got my B-20 and still haven't installed it yet. I have lost a dozen possible sales of longer than 20' beams and have been asked to resaw long beams right now my limit is 20'. It is a high priority this fall to finally pour my slab and install mill permenatly with the extension that will give me a maximum of 30' length of cutting. The log turner could mount forward one bunk that would help on turning 24'-26' logs anything over that i would probably have to use the crane.Having the boom truck it is a great piece of support equipment for handling the long logs safely. My plan is to anchor mill to concrete with brackets that i have and still keep the same height as the mobile set up. I will probably use the axel and tongue and make a trailer. I have never done a mobile job in 5 years that i have been sawing so it will be a permanant mill set up.   

Thank You Sponsors!