The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: wood splitting  (Read 5482 times)

Offline StephenRice

• Full Member x2
  • "Pure gold fears no fire." - (Old Chinese proverb)
    • Share Post
Re: wood splitting
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 09:15:28 PM »
ill try to post pics .im pretty busy right now.i also remember the young and dumb days .i used a modified boat trailer .it had 1x1 square tube frame we made it heavy duty.... by pounding round pipe in the square. had to tighten the wheel bearings every trip.and couldnt go over 35 to 40 mph or tires got hot and blew .our binders were one old bent comealong .we put 1 full pulp cord on that thing.we cut and hauled a whole 40acrs on it. miss them days.no stress no bills .im over 40 and i can still split and load 8to10 facecords a day.but im not to quick the next day usually run the forwarder .sure hard to find help that will work.most last 1 day.

Yeah, saltydog, I think our generation was the last of the hard working Mohicans... 

I remember driving an hour home on the interstate with several cords of wood between my truck and a trailer borrowed from my ex-wife's uncle.  I was always severely overloaded to the point that I would have to floor it to race down one hill on I-131 at about 80-90 mph just to make in up the next "hill" (these were not even hills compared to what a lot of you think of as hills) at about 30 mph.  I bet I scared the bologna out of a bunch of people back then with my fast - slow overloaded rig.

I wore that 300 ci inline 6 cyl. in that Ford right out until it was using so much oil that I had to buy a case a day along with a bunch of STP Motor Honey to make it to work and back.  Then, I just started buying gallons of thick chainsaw bar lube and using it.

Also, I would always have to stop and get a used tire at Jim's Tire Shop a couple of blocks from my house because I would invariably arrive home with three tires and a rim full of cords instead of four tires.  Good thing he took care of me and did not charge much, especially since I was nearly a daily customer.  I guess that is what happens to severely overloaded automotive tires when run in excess of 100 psi to keep them off of the rims. 

Yeah, buddy... Those were the days!

"Pure gold fears no fire!" - (Ancient Chinese proverb)  What do you fear?

Offline Buck

• Senior Member x2
  • Another "traveling man"
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2010, 09:42:16 AM »
I hear ya Dog,  that ole" not as good as I once was" is common around here.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Offline John R

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2010, 05:19:42 PM »
  has anyone noticed how slow they make the cycle time on new splitters? must be to dummy proof them . harder to get hurt going slow. i know theres some fast pro splitters out there. anybody have any first hand use on any pro models?

Yeah, everything has to be made for stupid people, stupid people shouldn't use any power tools.

And if they do, it's called thinning the heard.
John

Sthil MS 361 20" Bar
Sthil MS 260 PRO 16" Bar
Oregon 511 AX Chain Grinder

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2010, 05:27:01 PM »
Need more gpm to increase speed. Likely that controls the speed more than dumbing down the splitter for users. My opinion, anyway.  :)

More gpm, need bigger pump and bigger engine hp. Higher cost comes with that.
A lot of trade-offs.

Design one and see what those trade-offs are.  :)
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline RSteiner

• God is good, all the time.
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2010, 07:36:54 AM »
Need more gpm to increase speed. Likely that controls the speed more than dumbing down the splitter for users. My opinion, anyway.  :)

More gpm, need bigger pump and bigger engine hp. Higher cost comes with that.
A lot of trade-offs.

Design one and see what those trade-offs are.  :)

To get more GPM you also need larger diameter hoses and valves to handle the increase in volume.  You have to get more oil moving in and out of the cylinder at an acceptable pressure. 

I don't know if all the hydraulic splitters come with two stage pumps, first stage to give low pressure and high volume for speed second stage to provide high pressure at a lower volume for splitting power.

Could be some of the less expensive splitters have single stage pumps which provide pressure but not volume making them slower.

The speed limiting factor could also be in the valve body itself because internal port sizes. 

Randy
Randy

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Splitting wood can be fun??

Started by DR_Buck on Firewood and Wood Heating

11 Replies
Last post December 01, 2014, 09:58:50 PM
by DR_Buck
xx
wood splitting

Started by Button on General Board

18 Replies
Last post April 11, 2009, 07:00:36 AM
by Ironmower