iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Adventures of the Turner Mill

Started by Okrafarmer, October 20, 2010, 01:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

I don't have much time to write tonight, because I'm past due for bed, but I did a fair bit of milling today-- much of experimental-- ok all of it new and experimental to me. I cut one dead shortleaf pine to investigate the possibilities of making posts and such out of the centers of many of these we have-- good wood inside but bug-eaten--, I milled up a short sweetgum log for some cribbing blocks for my lumber stacks, I sawed up a partly rotten maple log full of ambrosia, I cut a bunch of dry stickers out of 1x wood scraps, and I changed the blade for the first time.  :P

Here is a picture of my maple stack when I was nearly done with it. You can also see one of the sweetgum 4x4's I made, holding it up.

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

customsawyer

You are doing good might try making those stickers strait up and down on top of each other.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Okrafarmer

Quote from: customsawyer on October 20, 2010, 05:12:38 AM
You are doing good might try making those stickers strait up and down on top of each other.

Ah yes, I shall have to straighten them up.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

WDH

Doubling the sweetgum cribbing will get the stack higher off the ground and will allow better air flow under the stack.  The maple looks awesome!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

customsawyer

Ah yes, I shall have to straighten them up.
[/quote]

I said the same thing about my boys.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on October 20, 2010, 09:23:47 AM
Doubling the sweetgum cribbing will get the stack higher off the ground and will allow better air flow under the stack.  The maple looks awesome!

I was only using the sweetgum cribbing for temporary stacking purposes while sawing. I put the lumber in the barn at the end of the day. We're a little at a loss for a real good place to stack lumber under cover just now-- maybe I'll have to build a shed for it. :-\

Okrafarmer

Here are the sweet gum beams after I made the final cut through the middle.
This was when I became pretty sure my blade was getting dull. The thickness became inconsistent. When I tried touching the blade, it wouldn't even prick my finger.

Okrafarmer

After changing the blade I cut some dry stickers out of dumpster-diver 1x material. Here are some of them, from the bottom layer.

Okrafarmer

And just in case anybody was falling asleep, smiley_dozy_bored I found out that hogs really enjoy eating maple sawdust. And yes, they did swallow some.

And yes you see correctly, they are eating inside the dull blade I took off.

vadimo

My cat also eating sawdust from chain saw, where I used canola oil for lubrication  :D

SwampDonkey

They thought is was mash until they get bunged up.  :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bandmiller2

A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Okrafarmer

WDH

I sometimes eat sawdust too, just not by choice :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

paul case

Quote from: Okrafarmer on October 21, 2010, 07:42:23 AM
Quote from: bandmiller2 on October 21, 2010, 06:51:52 AM
Maple flavored bacon.FC

We might be onto something.

yeah ''on to ''''''sumtin'''''.''  i bet it dont influence the meat much and their ''droppings '' i am certain will not be maple flavored.  the hog growers around here have used sawdust in floor sweep - free range sow feed- for a long time.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

sandhills

DanG it!!!  I thought I was gettin' back in the hog business again see'ins how you guys figured out a way to make the pooh smell sweet.  Well I guess I'll letcha work on it a while longer. :D  Okra, glad to see you're making dust wish I could say the same, but we plan on having the mill planted by early November so we'll see....

paul case

Quote from: sandhills on October 21, 2010, 01:17:22 PM
DanG it we plan on having the mill planted by early November so we'll see....

are you planting it trying to grow a better one?  pc
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

Okrafarmer

Quote from: paul case on October 21, 2010, 03:06:14 PM
Quote from: sandhills on October 21, 2010, 01:17:22 PM
DanG it we plan on having the mill planted by early November so we'll see....

are you planting it trying to grow a better one?  pc

Thanks, Paul, somebody had to say it, and it wasn't my turn!
:D :D :D :D

Okrafarmer

I didn't have all day to mill, but I did cut a couple 4x4 beams out of dead pine-- we will use them for building a log dock for the mill. There are many more dead pines nearby we are slowly clearing out-- a small microburst or something hit the woods a year or so ago and there are a lot of dead pines there, mostly on the ground.

After that, I slapped a 16" maple log on to cut it up. It was slightly curved, so this was my first experience dealing with that. This log is from the same tree job as the other maple log I did earlier. I have several more logs from that job that can be milled some time.

Since it was curved, I laid it on its side, so to speak, such that it was lying down flat on the same plane as the mill, but curved sideways. I sliced off the top and bottom (saving all these slabs for burl turners) and then I set it up smiley-wise, clipped the ends and such off, and then I flipped it frown-wise and clipped the bowed top off. Then we were starting to have a cant.

Because the log was so curved, I didn't get too many clear wide boards out of it, as you can imagine, but I did get 5  1x10's, although two of them had a small hole all the way through. The ambrosia and figured grain are stunning. At least to me. Maybe I'm easily impressed. . . . . .

I've been having a little trouble getting my height gauge adjusted properly on the mill and the dog board keeps on being too thick. I'm learning to compensate (after adjusting the gauge, I think I'm reading it wrong or something).
Anyway, I had saved one of the slabs aside that I had decided I had cut too thick, so I wanted to get at least one more 1x out of it. I was hoping for two-- but after I reslabbed it, it was obvious the second 1x wasn't going to happen. So, contemplating what to do, I decided to practice cutting veneer. I had to eyeball the blade to make sure it was close to level each time, as the winch-controlled up-down on the machine can be off by 1/8" left to right sometimes if you don't watch it. I peeled back 5 veneer slices (the first was practically worthless) and worked my way down to my dog board 1x, which will need to be edged.

Then I ran out of time. I have several that need to be edged and I didn't get to that today, but I did learn a lot. I already had one FB friend inquire about buying wood from me.

sandhills

No guys, after this year I'm not sure if I could even grow cockleburs ;) just want to get it in place and have some fun with it.  Heck I couldn't hardly afford the one I bought so why try for one better? :D

Meadows Miller

Gday

Okra It looks like your having fun and turning out some nice boards Mate ;D ;D 8) 8)  Now we did warn you that this can get just a tad addictive Didn't we Mate  ???  ;)  :D :D :D :D ;D 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Okrafarmer

I've found out it is intoxicating, mate. ;) I just want to do it more and more.  8) And I haven't even started walnut yet. :o I might even do it some today. 8)  I think I'm what you Aussies call a wowser  :o that is, I don't smoke or drink, and when I was there in Victoria some people were offended  >:( that I wouldn't even try Victoria Bitter to see what it tasted like  :-\ and I told them not to worry I had never tried Coors, Budweiser, or any other American beer either  :-* so not to worry  8) but you see now I do have an addiction I can experience to make me more normal mate!  :D :D ;D ;D

paul case

oh no, theres nothing normal about this addiction. most folks shy away from a job that is so dangerous that probably 1/2 of the people who were involved in it 50 years ago were missing body parts from it. not only that this job/ addiction is one that will cause you to get real filthy in every way except rich.
why we love to saw???
1 looking for gold where we cant see???
2 need the next project made of wood a little cheaper???
3 want a piece of ground cleared and no one wants small logs.
4 sawdust is theraputic
5 we like to make products they dont sell at the box store
6all those logs are just waiting for us to look inside
7 the wife already asked us to get out of the house more
8 it is neat to take a rough log and make real nice boards out of it
9 the lumber at the lumberyard is mostly imported
10 it is good for a sideline- hobby to pay off once in a while.

just my thoughts on the matter pc
pc

SwampDonkey

Well you sawmillers are like us brush cutters, still out cutting your fortune. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Okrafarmer

I regret to announce i was unable to mill today because I had to work. :-X  I mean I had more pressing work.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Thank You Sponsors!