iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need a review of the EZ Boardwalk Jr ....please

Started by T.J., November 08, 2010, 08:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T.J.

i have done a search on the EZ Boardwalk here and have learned alot - thanks.
there have been a couple of mentions on the Jr. but i was wondering if it is as good as the 40? from what i have read on here nobody has anything real bad to say about the 40.the Jr. fits my price range.

reason for buying a mill and what i plan to mill :

a couple of weeks ago we had a tornado come through and knock down a bunch of trees.right now i plan to mill alot of southern pine & alot of maple.a little red&white oak too.
i am hoping the maple will have some "figure" in it and pay for the mill.
i have the use of a tractor that has forks on the front end loader so right now i'm not concerned about log handling

would love to be able to afford a woodmizer lt40 or timberking 1600 but cant right now ....who knows maybe all the maple i cut will have birdseye or quilting in it and i can sell enough to pay for a "big" mill  ;)

any help or advice would be appreciated.
T.J.

paul case

tj
i was contemplating a smaller mill when i purchased my ez40 and i found that edwards mills were just a tad more heavy than most of the competetion. plus the price is right in line or a little less. a neighbor of mine has the jr mill and really likes it . those honda engines that edward puts on his mills are real tough and fuel efficient.
for me it makes more sense to have a easy to work on mill that dont have a lot of extra things to go wrong so when i want to mill some i dont have to work on the mill first. eds ads are as far as i can tell true, '' more mill for less money''.    pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

T.J.

paul,

thanks for the help.i appreciate it.i am thinking along the same lines as you where - tuff,easy to work on, etc.

i was hoping to hear from someone that owned the jr. and see if they regretted not scraping together a little more money to get the 40. how about your neighbor? after seeing your mill does he wish he had the 40?

again thanks for the help.
T.J.

paul case

he saw my mill before he bought his. i gave him the info on the 40 and the jr models. pc
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

T.J.

paul,

thanks again for the help.i talked to Edward - he seems like a pretty good guy.now i just need to scrape together enough money and go ahead and buy the Jr.

thanks,
T.J.

paul case

edwards help and good attitude dont stop when you buy a mill. his bunch are all good help when you need it . long after the sale.  pc
pc

inspectorwoody

Paul--

Is there anything you don't like about the mill or any problems you have ran into while using it?

How do you like the hand crank set?

Does it have the lumber scale on it like some of the mizers or other mills?

Mill caught my eye while digging around on the net and Sawmill and Woodlot had a good review.

How are the dogs?

Any pictures you could share? Even a short video clip?

Thanks

paul case

the one i have is the 40 model.
the scale resembles cooks mp32. the log dogs work real squaring arm is fixed to move at the same height as the clamp.height adjustment moves about 1'' per revolution on the crank and the brake is ingenious and works flawlessly. for me anyway. heres some pics.

first pic is the clamp and log stop.second is the add on turning winch.
in the third pic
the lever sticking out at an angle starts the blade and speeds the motor up . just in front of that handle is the scale(sorry its the best pic i had of it) the black wheel to the back is the height adjustment with belt brake. it has fully adjustable roller blade guides. mine has the honda 20 hp motor . 372 hours when i quit today with no motor trouble.
i had a belt wear down close to the bandwheel and on closer inspection the wheel was taller on the back of the belt than on the front. i called edward and he said to bring it to the farm show. he looked at it and sure enough his machinist didnt turn the back side of the wheel down. he traded me wheels free of charge. pc
pc

paul case

i am very pleased with the saw and it works very well. easy to learn to use and very accurate.
i am more than PLEASED with this mill. pc
pc

inspectorwoody

What bands are you using?

Is your 4/4 lumber true 1" or 1 1/8"? Curious how accurate the scale is with thickness variation.

How much have you milled since you have owned it?

How does the trailer system do....Tow well....easy to remove/attach etc.?

paul case

if i remember right the scale has a true 1'' plus kerf,1 1/2'' plus kerf  regular ruler and 2 other scales plus kerf on the scale.
it saws real accurate. i havent kept good track of how many boardft i have sawn. i have had the mill for a little over 2 years. yesterday i had a customer bring logs and watch me saw them. started at 1 and got done around 4 (with lots of talk breaks in between sawing).cut 590 bdft of 2x 6,2x8, and 2x 10's. all post oak. the grade lumber buyer i cut for wants them plump at 1 1/8''.
i have used cooks super sharp, timberwolf and simonds. they are all good but edward recomends timberwolf at $26. simonds ar considerably cheaper.1 1/4''  7/8'' tooth spacing
i am set up stationary and i didnt purchase the trailer kit.
pc
pc

inspectorwoody

Thank You Sponsors!