iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Winch - Farmi, Tajfun, Wallenstein, Other??

Started by wesdor, November 12, 2010, 04:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wesdor

I am beginning to investigate purchasing a 3 pt hitch log winch to use with my John Deere 3520 tractor.

My first research suggests that I could use the Farmi 351 or the Wallenstein FX 65 (possibly the FX 90).

The tractor is rated at 37 hp but that is not at the PTO which I believe is more like somewhere between 25-30 hp

I have not found a local dealer for the Tajfun, but after reading reports here at the Forestry Forum, believe it should be one I consider as well.

All of them seem to run in the $4,000 range and I most of all want to make the best decision.

We have a lot of trees that have been blown down and are at the bottom of ravines.  My primary objective with the winch would be do get the trees out and cut up for firewood (lumber where possible but there won't be much of that).

A secondary objective is to use the winch to pull out honeysuckle bushes which are infesting the timber.  Currently I do that with a cable attached to the tractor, but if a winch would work that would give me a greater distance and hopefully faster production.

Any thoughts and experience you might be willing to share will be greatly appreciated.

Maine372

ive beat a 351 farmi to death and ive never even had to adjust the clutch. the only issue ive ever had has been that i wore out the mainline.  it was on a 990 deere so it was a similar tractor. theres enough power at idle to lift the tractor off the ground. farmi has the best dealer backup around me (not that ive needed it) but it also seems to be the most simple and sturdy.

dont forget to look at fransgaurd winches.

if you are pulling up out of a gulley you might consider hanging a block up in a tree to help lift the butts higher. if you are new to using tractor winches make sure you dont stand behind the tractor tire to operate the winch. its really easy to get run over that way. i always run the winch from the seat of the tractor like its a skidder. my father just stands back from the machine and keeps the strings pretty long.

wesdor

Thanks for the reply Maine372.

I'll add the Fransguard to my list. 

I hadn't thought about adding a block and tackle up in a tree  - that makes good sense to me.

Good advice on staying away from the back tire.  I understand you can move a small tractor like I have around quite a bit if you aren't careful. 

dsgsr

I have the Fransgard V4000, 8900 lbs pull. It's a tough winch. I have a JD4700 48 engine hp, 40 pto. and it can bounce my tractor around. It's nice too have a lot of pull
but remember the heavier the winch is the less weight your 3pth can lift.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

JDeere

wesdor, I have had a Farmi, Fransgard and now have a Tajfun. They are all good winches and you really can't go wrong picking one over the other. My Farmi was old and beat when I got it and I never did a thing to it. My Fransgard was new when I bought it and it worked very well. I now have a Tajfun 16,000 LB pull winch on a 115 HP John Deere tractor and I love it. In my opinon, it has the best braking and release system of all the winches. I can't tell you much about the longevity as I have only had it for 2 years. So far it has been problem free. As you are probably well aware, logging is dangerous and tractor logging is even more dangerous. Where I live there have been too many experienced tractor operators who have been killed by tractor logging. I am not talking about the local banker with a Kubota who decided to cut wood on weekends. I am talking about guys who grew up with tractors and still got killed. Read everything you can about the inherent dangers of logging with a tractor and always look two steps ahead and thinking what could happen. I believe the smaller the tractor the more dangerous it is. I love to cut and skid wood with my tractor, especially on small or sensative lots, but I always follow the rules. Good luck with your decison. Please let us know what you decide on.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

nas

I have the Wallenstein fx65 and I love it.  I can put it on my 16hp kubota, or my 65hp international and it works well.  It would suit your tractor well, and it is built on this side of the pond 8)

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

thecfarm

I have a Norse.Used it real hard for 5 years working in the woods.Now it's just used for my own use.This is sold by Labonville.Not many in your area.I like the butt plate that flips up when going over a stump or rock or just a uneven place.It can be pined to drag with too.If you do get one make up some short chains.I used the 8 foot ones until finally I made some short ones for the small wood.Finally got sick of pulling 6 feet of chain through a chocker to deal with the small stuff.Don't pull at a 90° with the winch.Try to keep things kinda at only a slight angle with the winch. Once you get one you will wished you got it sooner.It makes things so much quicker and easier and safer.Don't try to take too much.I like to keep things up close to me,instead of tree length,when I can.A lot can happen 40-60 feet back when the tree get hung up on something.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John Mc

I'm not familiar with the JD 3520. IF you have 37 HP gross, you should be around 30 or 32 HP at the PTO (Hydrostatic transmissions may have slightly less at the PTO). I would not be at all worried about using a Farmi 351 with that HP (or even down to 25 HP). The real concern is lift capacity on your 3 Pt hitch (the heavier the winch, the less is left for lifting the log), and the overall weight of the tractor (too light and your tractor gets yanked around too much during winching and skidding operations).

With 37 HP, my bet is that your 3 PT lift capacity if OK for use with a Farmi 351 or similar. I can't imagine JD making a tractor of that HP that didn't have decent lift capacity for this.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Reddog

I have a 601 Farmi mounted on a 70hp and like it a lot. Nice simple design that very little can go wrong on mechanically.

That said I have looked at a lot of the other names when given a chance and they all look very similar. I would not be afraid to buy any of them. :)
The biggest thing to watch when fitting one is getting the pto shaft cut right. Most sit very close behind the tractor, so measuring for the pto shaft at it's shortest point takes a little work.
A few things to remember:

You have the highest rated pull with most all of the winch cable out. So having a block to double your pull or do redirects is very use full.

If most of your pulls will be 30', buy a shorter main cable and save the long one for when needed. They are very easy to change out. This will save a lot of wear on the cable from it biting back into it's self on the drum. Plus giving you the higher pulling force.

You may find if you don't have a FEL that you need to add front weights.

beenthere

The 3520 is the same frame size as my JD4300, but has 3-4 more HP. You will have good 3 ph lift.
Mine can lift two pallets of firewood with the 3pt and I suspect it will handle the 351 fairly well.
(as long as you match the weight with a FEL and plant the butt plate when pulling straight-away).

This frame size is not a heavy-weight tractor like similar (but older) HP Ag tractors were, counting now on adding the weight when needed.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pineywoods

Other..mine's homemade. pto type winch off a truck, but I don't drive it off the pto. Hydraulic motor that runs off the tractor hydraulics. Plenty of pull, power out or free spool, no clutches, no brake, no adjustments. Mounted on a M series 50 hp kubota.
cheap..

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

JDeere

Here is a picture of my Tajfun winch on the tractor.

2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

Dougofthenorth

I have the JD3520 cab tractor 37.5HP turbo diesel
with the newer generation FX90 (older gens were iffy)
I tried the FX60 (actually their prototype) it was too small & lacked features)
FX120 was way too big :o

Wallenstein said it pulls ~7,500 lbs with the 37.5 HP motor.

It has worked perfect for ~4 years now.

When I ordered it, from Wallenstein, they painted it JD green for me  8)

I use a Farmi quick release snatchblock with it to do double angle pulls.
I love that it carries 2 chainsaws 4 chains & all my accessories.
It has not given me any scares either.
I use Trygg SMT chains on the 3520 in the winter & spring, as the commercial tires are useless IMHO  

[img width=600 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--/img696/1917/jd3520withfx90.jpg[/img]

Regards,
Dougofthenorth
Save Turtles: www.turtleshelltortue.org

Ed_K

I have the tajfun 9k# and really like it. I did modify the hitch,I cut a hole where the base plate turns up and welded a 2" reciever hitch in.That way the trailer isn't dumping when I carry the winch higher to get over stumps.
Ed K

Mark K

I had a Farmi JL 601 hooked to a 85 HP Belarus. Moved a lot of wood with that setup, usually a truck and a pup a week during the winter part time. I wish I never sold them. I love my skidder but the tractor was nice for sensitive jobs. I highly recommend Farmi's snatchblock. I used it to navigate logs around others and also to load running gears to haul logs as I didn't have 2 loader tractors and the loader stayed at the mill. Use to find a good solid tree, back the tractor up to it and stand on the cab to get the pulley up about 10 to 12 feet. Raise the logs up onto the trailer. Probably not recommended but I made it work.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

chevytaHOE5674

I have a Farmi winch from the late 70's or early 80's i believe. I use it behind a 70+ HP ford 5000 MFWD tractor and it has never failed me. I am unsure of the winches history but it just keeps pulling and pulling without any problems. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

snowsquall

Quote from: pineywoods on November 13, 2010, 10:07:13 AM
Other..mine's homemade. pto type winch off a truck, but I don't drive it off the pto. Hydraulic motor that runs off the tractor hydraulics. Plenty of pull, power out or free spool, no clutches, no brake, no adjustments. Mounted on a M series 50 hp kubota.
cheap..

I like your home made winch.  Here is mine - it was cheap too - as long you don't count my labor! 4 speed Chevy Trans, rearend off 53 International school bus/well casing fro drum. I tow it behind a JD 1050.
1980 John Deer 1050, Fransgard Winch, Homemade Skidding Winch/Arch, WM LT28G25, Stihl 029Super, Stihl MS290, MS170.

snowsquall

I have used a Fransgard model 3004 on a 1983 JD 1050 and it is a good match.  1050 was supposed to have 33(ish) PTO hp when it was new, but that was 27 years ago- it handles the the 3004 without any trouble.  The 1050 is pretty close in size and power to the 3520 so the 3004 might work for you too.

Kevin
1980 John Deer 1050, Fransgard Winch, Homemade Skidding Winch/Arch, WM LT28G25, Stihl 029Super, Stihl MS290, MS170.

Singlemalt

I've been using the Wallenstein FX 90 with my 3710 Kubota for about 3 years.
36.6 HP with PTO 30 HP (manufacture's estimate)

Very satisfied. The slide chokers and a portable snatch block are great.

I stand down on the ground, well to one side, to pull and watch the cable. If the cable stops go and find out why. If you are pulling on even the slightest of angles make sure you are on the outside away from the pull.

Seldom higher than 1800 rpm.

TessiersFarm

I run a norse 290 on my JD 790, love it to death.  Only other I have used is an acient Farmi, that was a good winch too.  We do a lot in the winter when the rest of the farm is slow, and have had no problems.  My recomendation is buy a self releasing snatch block, no matter what winch you buy.  I would go with something you can service or get serviced, Labonville is second to none in my opinion, and they will ship parts quickly, however they are in my backyard.  I am sure you will hear good and bad about all three, so stick with a good dealer you trust.
Stihl E14, 180, 026, 036, 361, 045
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

Banjo picker

Thanks to everyone who has posted, esp those with pic's ...I am in the process of building one and need to see those pic's....I have never seen a tractor logging winch here in this area so I am almost shooting in the dark...

Piney does yours pull straight out the back or does it have a headache rack of sorts?..Mine is a pto powered a Beldan...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

pineywoods

Quote from: Banjo picker on November 27, 2010, 09:03:58 AM
Thanks to everyone who has posted, esp those with pic's ...I am in the process of building one and need to see those pic's....I have never seen a tractor logging winch here in this area so I am almost shooting in the dark...

Piney does yours pull straight out the back or does it have a headache rack of sorts?..Mine is a pto powered a Beldan...Tim

Mine pulls straight out the back through a set of fairlead rollers. Didn't need a headache rack. The 3 pt lift on my kubota will raise up nearly 4 ft. pics in my gallery, I can get more if needed. Can't find a name on the one on the dozer, the one on the kubota is a koenig.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

dmulac

I have a 351 P that I have had on an 855,4400,4410 and now a 3720. It works great, but can pull the tractor back if you don't keep your foot on the brake! I have had no issues with it and have pulled some very large trees. My 855 didn't have the power to lift a heavy hitch but the 3520 should do OK.

vahighlander

Love my Wallenstein- has a high and low pulley, which is an advantage over the entry level Farmi.....
WM LT35HD, Stihl saws, Kubota M5700, Massey Ferguson 2750e, Wallenstein FX65Winch, Woodland Mills WC88 chipper

dmulac

Quote from: vahighlander on November 30, 2010, 09:24:19 PM
Love my Wallenstein- has a high and low pulley, which is an advantage over the entry level Farmi....
Not true the 351P has a lower pulley too!

Thank You Sponsors!