iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DR wood chippers

Started by DaveP, November 14, 2010, 10:24:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveP

Has anyone used he DR wood chippers?  I have a lot of buckthorn to clear and wonder how this chipper would work in a small wood lot.

Busy Beaver Lumber

I can not speak to the new style ones they offer with the 18hp engines, but I did have a 12hp one that was about 7 years old and in excellent condition. Nor am I familiar with buckthorn.

I can tell you this, it did a pretty good job on green, fresh cuttings up to about 2 inches in diameter and bush prunings and garden stalks. You had to be patient with it, but it cut through it pretty steadily and made nice small chips. Now hard, dry wood was another story. It was pretty much a joke to try to chip hard wood that had dried, even in the 1 to 2 inch range. The vibration of holding on to the limb and feeding it into the chipper was enough to tire anyone and it took forever. If you let go of the dry pieces, they would often bounce off the blade and shoot back out of the chute.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

isawlogs

I have an older verson , might be 15/20years old , it is a good little machine , but as said , soft wood is good for it , hardwood up to two inches it will take no problem , any thing over that and up to the trhee ich capacity is a chore. The vibration from holding the peice there to be chewed up gets old mighty quick, now it all depends on how much ones needs to do at a time, if you cut and chip , it goes well if you pile the limbs and  have half a mountain full and start chipping away at it .. well get something else .  ;) ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!