The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Small Saw  (Read 9136 times)

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
Re: Small Saw
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2010, 02:54:51 PM »
It's based on how long a saw can meet the EPA emissions. I don't know what happens to the 50 hour saws, maybe wearing out internally. I'm sure almost any saw will run longer than 50 hours.     Steve
  ;D I doubt I own a saw that would pass EPA emissions for 50 seconds let alone 50 hours .

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2010, 06:43:17 PM »
I have one still new in the box, most likely won't even run set to EPA specs.  Steve
Timberking B20 12000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Dino setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2010, 07:58:33 PM »
Well that too but I'm kind of an outlaw in the eyes of the more gentile of chainsaw operators .Been accused of having ties to the Ohio  and Michagan chainsaw mafia and other such trivial nonsense .

Good thing I don't use my real name else the chainsaw police would come and lock me up for a long time .Lawdy I'd be old and  gray before I got released .Wait a minute,I'm already old and gray . :D

Offline Bill

• Why Not ?
    • Share Post
    • Photos
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2010, 11:32:39 AM »
fwiw 

Tho joining this a little late here's my story . My ( old ? ) body wanted something smaller for most of my simple cutting needs - now firewood and occasional light tree trimming - as my " big " saw became  overkill ( think like hammer to kill a fly ? ). I picked up a stihl 019t new some years back. My experience has been that even using it for alot of my firewood I prefer its light weight and handling for anything 14" and smaller ( I use a 12" bar and try to make sure there's always enough oil going to the bar )  to cut a few cords a year. It easily " outcut " the homeowner saws I saw others buy - many times even bigger ones ( they probably had dull chains  ;) . Except for replacing chains its been easy to use - tho a bit slower if I ask it to cut bigger wood . I do make sure to be careful about keeping the chain sharp.

imho - even tho its not a pro saw its given great service and with regular maintenance has lasted and lasted . I'm sure others make good saws also .

Good luck

btw  - will the eco-volunteers complain about the " petro " based bar oil ?  I think I've heard of people running other oils - just can't recall which . . . 

Offline 6sunset6

• Share Post
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2010, 09:02:37 AM »
I have made a decision.  Actually my wife made it.  I got some unexpected  checks in the mail,  although not quite  enough to make up the difference between the 192 and the 200.  I read the Stihl explanation to her and she said,   I recognize the expression on your face. Go get that dollar stretcher tool you got and get the 200.   Hmmm  .   Today I think

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2010, 12:38:37 PM »
Go out and get it quick, before all the Christmas shopping bills start coming in...
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline 6sunset6

• Share Post
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2010, 02:38:52 PM »
I picked up the 200.  Nice saw.   I did not have time to spend with the dealer and five people came in behind me.  Maybe I shouild have waited till after new year.  But a saw is a saw is a saw.   I know all the basic stuff .
However  I opened up the tool kit and found a thing called a locking strip.  Number 2 in the picture.
Anybody know what it is for?

Offline Stihlnorm

• Share Post
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2010, 03:06:35 PM »
Congrats on the MS200 great saw!!!  The locking strip  is used for holding the engine from turning over while removing the clutch. You remove the spark plug place the tool into the cylinder through the spark plug hole and rotate the engine till it binds up. With the engine "locked" you simply loosen the clutch off of the crankshaft. READ THE MANUAL for proper placement of the strip, damage is possible if not in the proper position. 8)

Offline 6sunset6

• Share Post
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2010, 01:02:45 PM »
Now that I have fully investigated my new saw, never having ever done that before , I have found a little thing called a carburetor pre heat slide.   Turns out my 20 year old 026 has one also so.   The book says below 50d F set it up for pre heat.  Means turning it around so a slot is open.   Has anybody done that ?   Does it make a difference?

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2010, 01:51:44 PM »
I have it, but don't use it (MS361). Especially haven't used it below the 50 F as the manual says.
Will be interested to hear what others do. I thought it was very much colder temps than 50.   ::)
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Online Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2010, 02:28:12 PM »
The slide is mostly to prevent ice forming in the carb in cold humid conditions. Many cars have the same thing, in the old days there was a flap on the air cleaner, now it's automatic and the computer controls it.

In warm weather you want fresh cool air from outside as it's more dense and gives better power. In really cold conditions, sucking some warmer air from around the cylinder head should prevent ice.

I don't saw when it's that cold, so mine stays in the "summer" position.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
small wack,small logs,small project

Started by Dave H. on Sawmills and Milling

2 Replies
Last post February 01, 2016, 08:58:54 AM
by Sixacresand
xx
4900 International for small log truck ? To small or you think it would perform?

Started by RunningRoot on Forestry and Logging

38 Replies
Last post November 13, 2014, 07:59:01 PM
by Maine logger88
xx
A small (very small) timber frame project

Started by MattJ on Timber Framing/Log construction

2 Replies
Last post January 04, 2015, 09:14:23 PM
by MattJ
lamp
A small organized shop, small on the outside, big on the inside.

Started by woodbowl on General Board

44 Replies
Last post January 18, 2007, 10:21:13 AM
by Raider Bill