iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big Logs

Started by Autocar, December 09, 2010, 04:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

I finished a little job today I had 12 trees one red oak 11 white oak. I scaled them up the red had 971 bd.ft. the 11 white oak had 9000 bd. ft. The biggest butt on the white oak was a 16 foot butt log with 841 bd. ft. I took pictures of them on the first load,if I can ever figure out how to put them on here Iam sure you guys would get a kick out of them. They sure look pretty when you get them loaded up  ;) The red cut four logs and the first two were grade and the third and fourth was common. The white cut pretty well grade butt logs and the second was common and third was pallet.
Bill

loggit

Bandmill Bandit

the bigger the better. i cut one one that was a 42inch bell on the stump trimmed it with the chain saw and it was about 38" ish tapered to about 34". had to get a bit creative to get that sucker down to size. It was a 19 foot pine . Made 8x8 posts and 4X12 beams out of it and the the next up sister stick out of the same log for a customer. Also cut 2X10 for his deck joist out of the rest of the tree and one more 16 foot piece. deck was 16x 32 finshed.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Autocar

Fish Ive tried twice to e-mail you but they all come back not sure what the deal is .
Bill

tycoon139977

biggest logs ive yarded where some spruce 7 ft on the butt
Berger M-3, Mini Madill 071, Madill 171, Thunderbird TY-90, Yoader

captain_crunch

M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

clww

That's what I advertise for with my side business-"Big Trees". The bigger the better!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

tycoon139977

just out of curiosity, how big of trees are there back east? around here the average is about 30 in on the butt and 120-140 ft tall i believe. but the biggest ive yarded was about 7 ft on the butt and around 180 ft tall. it was some nice spruce first 26 ft and the next two 40 ft logs on them all had absolutly no limbs, made some darn good saw logs
Berger M-3, Mini Madill 071, Madill 171, Thunderbird TY-90, Yoader

madmari

I found a stand of hemlock with a tree at dbh of 52"- think it's the state record. A big white pine will go 30".
Hard maple will get to that size as they are sap producers for syrup and are sacred cows. ;D
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

bill m

In my area you can still find some nice timber. These pines ( average 28 in. dbh ) cut 86 feet to a 10 inch tip.

Some of the hardwood on this job cut 60 feet to the first limb.

NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

thecfarm

bill,good job on that stump.I've seen some guys that I guess they can't bend over to cut a tree.
Here's a picture of a white pine,that is a yard stick.

There were many more this size too.
When my father and me was cutting we chased down the biggest ones we had.Had one that was 52 inches across. The tractor groaned some on that one. We cut all the ones over 42 inches.At the time they were peeling the big ones by hand and getting them around the debarker. Since they redid the mill they can only take 42 inches now. My Father said he could never remember them cutting this place off.I can not remember how many logs we got out of some. I always said I would take pictures of some of them when my Father and me was cutting.I never did.We was always so busy cutting,no time,or so I thought.I know this size is no big deal on the West coast,but pretty big for around here.Yes,you may found a few this size,but we probably had at least 50 this size.Still a few this size on my land.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Autocar

I agree one hundred percent keep the stumps low  ;D Generally veneer buyers cut them off a little but remember your selling board feet so if he rejects it the sawmill will buy it. And that extra bd. ft. will add up.
Bill

treefarmer87

thats a GOOD cut on that stump. i need to cut that low :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Bobus2003

A stump should be no more than 6" High on the up hill side.. USFS rule.. I cut as low as possible, just cause i hate bouncin over them in the Skidder or Skid Steer

tapper2

Here in the Adirondacks, we find these trees from time to time. There's alot of big white pine and hemlock,oak in this area, but as madmari said, the sugar maples can get HUGE. If we head over to the back of our land that borders w/NYS land, you can regularly find Oak thats 30"+ @ the butt perfectly straight and White Pine thats 46-48"  with at least 20' logs. Those would fetch a dime but........New York State property.
Belsaw m14, 1992 Ford 1720, Homebuilt  bandmill, Franklin 120b & a bunch of worn out, banged up stuff........gotta love it.

clww

90% of the trees I remove are residential trees in customer's back yards. Last year I did one that was 86", one that was 50" and one that was 38". Those were the three largest diameter, and all oaks. The tallest I've ever had was a measured Red Oak at 131 feet tall. The latest one I started this past Thursday. A big Red Oak, 49" DBH, and 90 feet tall. At 50 feet, it's still 30" diameter.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

Not the biggest by any means, but I just sawed 7 SYP logs that yielded 7238 bf of framing lumber.  My largest was a lightning struck SYP that yielded 2781 bf of framing lumber.  Not a record but darn good sawing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!