The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Good books  (Read 23107 times)

Online Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
Re: Good books
« Reply #160 on: December 17, 2011, 06:16:07 AM »
Stephen King has a new book "Dark Tower". Apparently, it was slated for a movie. But the studio figured it would be a very expensive film, so cancelled plans.

When I was a kid, there was a game out called Dark Tower, it was a battery operated gizmo that sat  in the middle of a game board.

The Dark Tower is a whole series of book by Stephen King. (7 books)

The first one (The Gunslinger) was written in 1982. The

They are well worth reading, but a bit mind bending. King manages to write himself into later the novels, not as some cameo, but a main character that the other characters come to realise is the "writer of their story".  His nearly fatal accident is also in the story as the later books were finished after that.

As to what genre the books fit into? Pretty much all of them. Sci-fi, fantasy, vampires, mystery.. they cover it all. Other characters from his other books pop up in the series as well. Somehow he tries it all together, maybe by just not trying to explain everything,,,

As for making a movie of it... Maybe 7??  Peter Jackson is the only person I think would even dream of trying with such a huge and convoluted story... Makes Lord of the Rings / Hobbit seem like it's alternate title "There and Back Again"

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline JD350Cmark

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #161 on: December 17, 2011, 07:28:51 PM »
If you're interested in float planes, this is a very good read;  Success on the Step: Flying with Kenmore Air

Over the last year or so I have been reading the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child.  I have passed the books on to 3 other people and they are unable to put them down.  I think there's around a dozen or so, maybe more.  I suggest starting with Killing Floor and then the order does not matter.   -Mark
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25

Offline limbrat

• step back and look again
    • Share Post
« Reply #162 on: December 17, 2011, 11:15:50 PM »
I just reread a confederancy of dunces. I compare it to the movie sling blade, in that sadly i know someone that is like every main charcter.  ::)
ben

Offline Chris Burchfield

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #163 on: March 05, 2012, 08:02:13 PM »
Just completed: "One Second After," by William R. Forstchen, Ph.D.  Electromagnetic Pulse, ever heard of it?  I had relating to solar flares.  Caused by thermonuclear war heads, I had not.  This is a fictional read but, like Tom Clancy, is based on technical, existing, facts.  Not to ruin it, but one, two or three of these placed over the U.S. 150 to 300 miles into the atmosphere and we're talking the U.S. of A back to the 17th century.  "All" electrical including the planes in the sky shut down.  This story is about a man trying to protect his family during such an event.  I'm not a survivalist though I do have some skills.  The Foreword is by then Speaker Newt Gingrich.  I'm not looking for the end of the world with the Mayan calendar in December.  You are all my friends, I hope you all consider and/or have the opportunity read this.  Chris Burchfield
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
    • Share Post
« Reply #164 on: March 06, 2012, 09:14:33 AM »
Just completed: "One Second After," by William R. Forstchen, Ph.D.  Electromagnetic Pulse, ever heard of it?  I had relating to solar flares.  Caused by thermonuclear war heads, I had not.  This is a fictional read but, like Tom Clancy, is based on technical, existing, facts.  Not to ruin it, but one, two or three of these placed over the U.S. 150 to 300 miles into the atmosphere and we're talking the U.S. of A back to the 17th century.  "All" electrical including the planes in the sky shut down.  This story is about a man trying to protect his family during such an event.  I'm not a survivalist though I do have some skills.  The Foreword is by then Speaker Newt Gingrich.  I'm not looking for the end of the world with the Mayan calendar in December.  You are all my friends, I hope you all consider and/or have the opportunity read this.  Chris Burchfield

Chris, Both my SOon and I read this book. We both enjoyed it.
The First 60 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline red

• Senior Member x2
  • we will never forget
    • Share Post
« Reply #165 on: March 07, 2012, 04:43:44 PM »
Birds of a Lesser Paradise by www.mayhewbergman.com  top notch emerging writer  check Amazon for reviews
We have a lot of good boys and girls in harms way
lets all support them and their familys.

Offline RobJ

• Live and let Live.
    • Share Post
« Reply #166 on: March 13, 2012, 08:00:51 PM »
The book "The Golden Spruce" is really good, its by John Vaillant.  And another one called "The Wild Trees" by Richard Preston.  Both kind of focus around the West Coast Redwoods and each of them are true stories.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #167 on: March 13, 2012, 08:13:45 PM »
The book "The Golden Spruce" is really good, its by John Vaillant.  And another one called "The Wild Trees" by Richard Preston.  Both kind of focus around the West Coast Redwoods and each of them are true stories.

The first book is about a Sitka spruce on the Queen Charlotte Islands off BC's west coast. I worked there for 3 years and lived near that tree, although I never went to see it. I cruised timber out there, so I saw lots of Sitka spruce 60-70 meters tall. And not all cruised timber gets cut.
Move'n on.

Offline red

• Senior Member x2
  • we will never forget
    • Share Post
« Reply #168 on: June 09, 2017, 06:24:49 AM »
I came across an interesting book this week . www.40chances.com Finding hope in a hungry world. It talks about each of us having 40 chances to accomplish our goals in Life. Farmers can expect to have 40 growing seasons, giving them 40 chances to improve on every harvest. This also applies to anyone because we all have about 40 productive years in our careers to do the best job .

Offline timberking

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #169 on: June 09, 2017, 09:13:45 AM »
Just finished VICIOUS CIRCLE by C. J. Box.  A continuation of the Joe Pickett Wyoming Game Warden series.  I have enjoyed them all.  Next was G-MAN by Stephen Hunter.  This book fills in the back story of the Swagger clan from Polk Co. , Arkansas.  I like his writing partly because the Ark. references hit home for me being a native.

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
    • Share Post
« Reply #170 on: June 09, 2017, 09:59:35 AM »
I like Tom Clancy's books, have most of them. Favorite is "The Bear and the Dragon" I couldn't put the book down..It's fiction, but very relavant to the political/power situation in today's world.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #171 on: June 09, 2017, 11:03:37 AM »
I just finished Frozen Hours by Jeff Sharra. Korean War about the Chosin Reservoir battle. I couldn't read it fast enough.

He's one of my favorite Authors. Got started by reading his fathers Book Killer Angels.
http://jeffshaara.com/index.php

Offline timberking

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #172 on: June 09, 2017, 03:32:57 PM »
I will keep an eye out for that one Raider Bill.  Sharra's work is always a good read.

Offline woodmaker

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #173 on: June 09, 2017, 10:36:52 PM »
I like almost everything by Clive Cussler (especially from the Oregon files),anything by Louis L'amour , and most everything by Tom Clancy (especially "the hunt for Red October")
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

Offline 51cub

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #174 on: June 11, 2017, 05:14:28 PM »
It seems like when I do have time to read anymore, I have a hard time focusing anyhow. I'm slowly working my way through The Industrial Revolutionaries, and The Age of Steam. A couple of children's books  that I like to think make kids interested in reading are, The Broken Blade, and a sequel, I think it's called Wintering, if I remember right. They're set during the fur trade era
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #175 on: June 13, 2017, 11:19:22 AM »
Just found this thread last night and finished it this am, looks of good reads and new ideas for me.  I've read all of Tom Clancy's - Jack Ryan Series, starting at "The Hunt For Red October".  I had a hard time putting some of these books down, some of the things he wrote about / predicted was scary true!  I also enjoyed "The World Made by Hand" series by James Howard Kunstler, that somebody else mention, pretty sure there are 3 or 4 books in that series.  They were a good read also.

"Lights Out" by David Crawford was another EMP type book similar to "One Second After".  It was a great read, had a hard time putting that down too.  Been a while since I read that book.

"Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline was a fun book too.  Takes place in the not too distant future, I can't describe it and give it justice, just a fun read.

I've read and now listen to all of WEB Griffins "Corps" and "The Brotherhood of War" Series.  I like to read these longer series, because as others have said you get invested in the characters!  I have a 30 to 40 minute commute to work and listening to the books helps make that time pass, and it's cut down on my temper with other drivers...
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO

Offline timberking

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #176 on: July 07, 2017, 01:08:37 PM »
Read Frozen Hours as recommended by Raider Bill and was not disappointed.  What our guys went through is unreal.  Stacking frozen Chinese to fortify a position.  I was cold reading about it.  Back on another John Sanderson novel.  If you like Lee Child (Jack Reacher), you might enjoy Sanderson.

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #177 on: July 12, 2017, 04:18:00 PM »
Read Frozen Hours as recommended by Raider Bill and was not disappointed.  What our guys went through is unreal.  Stacking frozen Chinese to fortify a position.  I was cold reading about it.  Back on another John Sanderson novel.  If you like Lee Child (Jack Reacher), you might enjoy Sanderson.

All of Jeff Sharras's books are great. Basically he starts with the American Revolution and goes to his last book which you just read. He did not write them in order but I'd suggest following the dates he writes about.

I can't suggest his dad's book Killer Angels enough. The mini series Gettysburg was based on it.

Offline red

• Senior Member x2
  • we will never forget
    • Share Post
« Reply #178 on: November 15, 2018, 12:00:24 PM »
Lots of good info on popular books for those that like to read

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #179 on: November 15, 2018, 03:34:24 PM »
I just finished Ghost Rider by Neal Peart. He is the drummer for the band Rush.
He lost his daughter in a car accident, within a year of that his wife caught cancer and passed then he had to put his dog down. 
He jumped on his bike for 50k miles and about a year to clear his head.
The books about his journey during that time.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Any good books ?

Started by burtle on Tree, Plant and Wood I.D.

12 Replies
Last post June 08, 2019, 11:30:49 PM
by lxskllr
xx
Any good beginners forestry books?

Started by Zero on Forest Education

8 Replies
Last post April 08, 2007, 12:53:03 AM
by WDH
xx
Good books or websites for small woodlot management?

Started by SineWave on Forestry and Logging

11 Replies
Last post January 22, 2016, 06:07:11 PM
by ten_mile
xx
Any books?

Started by Bigbo1234 on Sawmills and Milling

21 Replies
Last post August 25, 2013, 09:09:33 PM
by GAB