iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cabin Addition

Started by Magicman, December 21, 2010, 10:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richhiway

Just went through your addition build. Really enjoyed it. Great work!
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Magicman

Thank You.  Many times I have needed a picture to answer a question and end up reading for an hour.  My hope is that my sharing the build here will inspire someone else to tackle a similar project.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jbjbuild

Just finished going through all 42 pages of the cabin build and thoroughly enjoyed it. You did a great job and are an inspiration. Thanks for documenting the project, it gave me a lot of good ideas.
Woodmizer LT35HD, John Deere 790, Logrite Cant Hook

PA_Walnut

Really inspiring build. It's more motivation for a cabin project I'm planning at my Lookout Point. (top of the hill with an AMAZING view). In the process of cutting a road up to it. I guess I'll begin a thread and start posting!

Thanks for the thread and motivation to keep moving.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

TimW

Lynn,
  I just finished reading your thread.  It is inspiring to me.  I plan on building a log home and I am waiting patiently for my LT40 diesel.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Magicman

Hopefully you gleaned some ideas, but anyway it shows what you can do with rough sawn lumber.  Congrats on ordering a new LT40.

I am proud to inspire you enough for you to finally make your first, now don't be a stranger.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gdaddy01

thank you for the ride , really enjoyed it and learned a lot .

Magicman

You are very welcome.  I shared some pictures today with a potential customer that called me for a sawing quote and also for some building ideas.  Hopefully this build will inspire folks for many years to come.  :P

Magicman

I did a bit of Cabin work today.  The LP water heater has always been a burden of sorts because even with only the pilot burning it is still sucking on my LP tank.

It's time for it to go.

But first the water needed pumping out.

Before it was dollied out.

Wow, that left plenty of wall space for an electric tankless water heater.  That is a 240 volt #6 wire unit with a 60 amp circuit breaker.  I gained the extra space in my breaker box by removing 4 breakers and going back with piggy backs.

We shall see how it works but at least it will not be drawing "juice" when we are not at the Cabin.

Walnut Beast

A friend Put one in several years ago. On  demand water heater and says he would never go back to the tank. He loves it

Ljohnsaw

I suppose electricity is real cheap by you?  I would have put in a propane powered tankless.  I replaced my two 30 gallon natural gas tanks (when they failed) with natural gas tankless.  Saves a LOT on my gas bill.  And tons cheaper than electric out here.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

My goal was to get rid of the LP and it's cost plus the aggravation of having to schedule delivery when I would be there.  Then there was the total house inspection when delivered.

I may reconfigure the above installation a bit with some "swivel" 90° elbows....or not.  I still have to remove the vent pipe and close the ceiling opening. 

Ljohnsaw

Ah, I get it.  Plus, you are not there most of the year?  You're on the road, sawing!
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

btulloh

John, what's the kwh rate in CA theses days?  I'm sure it's gone up since I left there in 2005. 
HM126

Ljohnsaw

I am still on the tiered billing but they are forcing everyone to time of use.  My tiers change (generally upward every few months.  Right now, T1 is 24.373, T2 (above ~700kwh) is 29.675 and T3 (above 1,000kwh) is 51.99.  Time of use is crazy numbers like 22 off-peak and 54 on-peak where on-peak is from 3pm to 8pm when A/C load is very high.

I have 4.6kw of solar and plan to add another 6 to 10kw soon.
John Sawicky

btulloh

Those are some high falutin electrons they're selling in CA!  I think it was around 0.11/kwhr when I left there in 2005. 
HM126

Ljohnsaw

I'm in PG&E (Pacific Graft & Extortion :D) territory.  Near me is a couple public power islands that the rates are significantly lower.
John Sawicky

Thank You Sponsors!