iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cabin Addition

Started by Magicman, December 21, 2010, 10:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

The rain slowed me down a bit, but I finished sawing the Cabin Addition lumber today.  Since I was working by myself, I had to just sorta dead stack/pile it up.  I have a Grandson that will help me sticker it tomorrow.  We will also haul the slabs to the road and I will put my "Free Wood" sign back up.

Rolling a stubborn logs with the end tong and log clamp.

Cabin Addition framing lumber.

From a different angle.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Well, there certainly is lots of building material there. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

My plan was to be able to sticker as I sawed.   :-\

Since I have no building plans, my lumber needs will change as I build.  I may very well need additional lumber later.  My interior wall paneling hopefully will be salvaged barn lumber.  My ceiling will be metal shingles that I salvaged from my Grandparents old home.

The good thing is that I have no building requirements, permits, or anything like that to think or worry about.   :)  My next backache is to lay about 150 8X8X16 foundation blocks.   :'(

The roofing shingles came from this old home.  The barn is barely visible on the far left.  I'll have to get a good picture of it to document this project.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Don K

Good pile of lumber, Lynn. A lot to stack and sticker. I needed some 2X4's today so I grabbed a log and whipped out 24 right quick. I love having a mill and dead pine logs. ;D I was added that to my tally book and run a total. Little less than 50 thousand more feet and I can get me one of those black WM jackets. Guess I need to build a few more sheds before I'm too old to wear one. :D

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Magicman

And, get your name in the book.   :)   I haven't totaled up last year yet, but  I doubt that I will pass the big "M" this year.  There's a chance for next year.

I did get the stickering done today.  This old man's butt is dragging.  20' 2X10's and 16' 2X12's are heavy.  Plus all of those 2X6's, etc.

My get up and go has got up and went.   :-\

SwampDonkey

That's a lot of handling for any man. I have been going threw piles in the barn the last couple winters and cutting (high grading) the good from the bad (firewood). Some day I'll have to rebuild my lumber reserves.  I have also become a whole lot more educated as to which is potential twisty junk and what is likely to be decent lumber when it dries. The forum has been responsible for a good bit of this, but also a lot of hands on. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

I tallied my lumber this morning.  I've sawed 3200+bf, and the lumber tally shows that I should be OK with my framing needs.  I still need about 450bf of 1X6 for mudroom ceiling, etc.

I may just fell a Poplar to meet that need. 

Burlkraft

That's quite the pile of lumber you have there.

I know after a day of stacking and stickering it feels like your arms are a few inches longer  :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Magicman

Mostly stretches my knuckles.  I can hardly close my hands the next day,  :-\  well that, and the heating pad on my back.   ::)

I was about 450 bf short on my 1X6's and guess what? A guy just stopped by and asked if I wanted about 6 SYP trees. That should completely take care of my building needs. I will fell them, he will skid them, and we will load them.   :)

Peter Drouin

Nice work MM. I like the tong and clamp idea   ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

clww

Nice looking pile all stacked and stickered! 8) I used to work building houses before the military, so I know those 2 X12s are quite hefty and akward getting them moved around.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

Earlier this week a guy stopped by while I was sawing.  He said he had six 12' Cypress logs, but he didn't need that much lumber.  (Read, not much money.)  I normally don't trade sawing for lumber, but I really could use some Cypress on the Cabin Addition.  He said that he also had some very nice ERC logs  ???

Another friend stopped by and asked if I needed any more SYP?  Yup, 450 bf worth.  He said that he had at least that much beetle killed trees.  Things are looking up with the lumber needs.   smiley_thumbsup

Anyway, he brought the Cypress logs over and we sawed them in a couple of hours.  My take was 288 bf of mostly 1X8's.

SwampDonkey

Looks like dandy lumber from the cypress.   ;D

WDH

Lynn,

You are living right!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

I've given a few sticks away to. In my situation I have no way to handle it. So the deal here is come get it or it's worm food. ;D

Magicman

I mistakenly thought that these trees were beetle killed.  Actually a tree fell on a power line causing and arc which in turn started a fire.  These trees were burning during last Summer's drought and didn't survive the stress.  I took three and each made three 12' logs.  I counted 25 other dead trees.  The landowner wants them out and they have no sale value, so they are all mine for the taking.  I did make an agreement with him if I find a market for any excess framing lumber.

These 9 logs will easily take care of my 450 bf of 1X6's plus some 2X6's thrown in for good measure.

Felled, bucked, and ready for the skidder.

Skidding the logs out.

Bunched and ready for the WoodMizer.

Don K

Good score. The sight of a bluestain pine log gets me excited. There is a good bit on my woodshop. ;D

The wood gods are smiling on you Lynn.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Meadows Miller

Gday

Magic thats a nice score on those trees Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) do you fellas get alot of beetle kill down in the south  ???

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Don K

Not usually in my area. It can be a scrouge at times. They usually won't attack a healthy stand. Knock the bark off till sap runs and chances are pretty good. I think they can smell sap a 100 miles. ;D WDH is our resident expert.

Don

Magicman

Meadows Miller, I corrected myself in Reply #40 that these trees were actually killed by fire.  If a fire is hot enough and has enough fuel to reach up into the needles, it's generally a goner.  Drought and fire stressed trees seem to attract Pine Bark Beetles.

WDH

Drought stress carries over, so a tree may become very stressed from drought and survive the year only to succumb the next, especially in hardwoods like oak.  The bark beetles seem to know the weak ones.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Occasionally, I see a SYP that only has maybe half of the needles that it should have or that the surrounding trees have.  Chances are, next year, that tree will probably "brown up".

When oak leaves starts turning in July/August, that tree is history.

Dodgy Loner

A lighting strike during the growing season will also attract pine beetles in scores. A lightning strike is often not fatal, the tissue damage causes the tree to release much more alcohol than normal, which can detected by pine beetles for great distances. Often the tree will be infested within 24 hours after a strike, and at that point, the tree is a goner. Nearby trees that have been stressed by drought will then be at greater risk as the pine beetles leave the lightning-struck tree.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Tom

.......so, it's the alcohol they are after! :P

Meadows Miller

Gday

Thanks for the info  Fellas  ;)  ;D Yeah Magic I notice that you had corrected yourself in reply#40 I just notice that alot of the Syp you mill in your posts is either dead or on its way there Mate  ;) over here we don't have to many bugs that affect the pines but in the 80 & 90s i remember some contractors hear where involved  in Syrex wasp affected stands the most common reason for infestations was butt scaring from poor thinning removals or drought stress so they had to go in and tidy things up or if it was a heavy infestation the would clear fell the whole block we did not loose to many blocks and have not had any large outbreaks since then  ;) ;D 8)

Regards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!