iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cabin Addition

Started by Magicman, December 21, 2010, 10:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Migal

;) your a hard worker I'm proud to be a member of the forestry forum and follow your post's Magic is a Man's Man! Looking forward to your Cabin updates and love your pic's.   Migal
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Magicman

Three days turned into five days.  I did get a couple of sawmill calls, but they were both asking for advice about future saw jobs.  At least I will know that the logs will probably be staged correctly.   ;D  I also had almost a full day of bushhogging to do, along with one tractor breakdown/repair.

My first job was planning the lumber.   I made a couple of passes on one side and then brought the other side down smooth.

I set my infeed/outfeed rollers up which made it easier for a one man job.

I did my jointing with a hand power planner.

Next it was T&G time.  I did use two hands.  ;D

While cutting the tongues, I found this guy.  A .22 caliber bullet that was totally encased within the board.

Changover time from tongue to groove.

Time to inspect my two dead horses.  Actually there was more damage on the end that I thought folded up.  :-\

And then this guy decided to visit.  That is the aluminum leg of my miter stand and I had just adjusted the support on that end.  My footprint was within 4" of his front end. :o  For the benefit of those that may not know, that is a Timber Rattlesnake, albeit a juvenile, but still a rattler.

The wall paneling is up on the North wall.   :)

And I made good progress on the East wall.   :)   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pineywoods

Looks good MM. Don't forget to clean up the shavings pile in the yard before it rains on them.. ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

I did not have my sawdust scoop, but you can see the seed fork propped against the sawhorse in the first picture.    ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tree Feller

You are a working machine, MM. The Pine paneling sure does look good. I'll bet the room smells good, too.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

clww

Always looking better, and better! :)
Did you skin that snake, Lynn?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

Nope, funny thing was the ants took to it immediately and by the next morning there was nothing but the ribs, backbone, and insides.  I figured that they would take care of it in another day and leave only the skeleton.  Well, something got it the next night.  That had to be one stinking snack.   :-\

Today I bought one of those Contour Gauge/Duplicator thingies.  I will need it to transfer the profile of the beams to the last wall panel board which will be only about 3" wide.  After it is up, I can make a decision about any crown molding.

clww

I love those type of gauges, although I don't have one. Yet.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

I was able to spend another day on the Cabin Addition and now all that remains on the paneling on the West, North, and East walls is crown molding.  After the door/window facings are done, then everything will get chair railing.

The West wall showing the door opening.

The East wall with two windows.

A slightly different view of the North and East walls showing the axe hewn beams and roofing tile ceiling,

Migal

:) Looking very nice MM!
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Dodgy Loner

Looking good, MM! I can smell the pine from here! ;D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Magicman

I spent two more days working on the Addition.  Of course, I had to plane and T&G before any real work could be done.  I have finally gotten to the existing Cabin wall.  The outside of the Cabin wall becomes the inside of the Addition.  First, I had a window that had to disappear, and a hole to cut through for the new doorway into the Addition.

The OSB is cut away for the new doorway.  The studs, etc. will remain until the doorway is actually opened.

The paneling is up except for the lower right corner.  I am gonna wear that stack of Cypress out moving it.   :-\

The window was on the left of the new doorway but someone forgot to take a picture.   ::)

"She" said that the new doorway is 16" too narrow.  Now guess who will have to lick his cat again and cut away some of his new wall paneling to reach that next stud.  I said "yes dear".   smiley_love

After all of the wall paneling is up, it will get a pickling stain (white wash).

WDH

"Yes dear".   smiley_heart

:D :D.  You are a smart man, MM. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bill Gaiche

Like they say, if momma isn't happy, no one is happy. bg

Holmes

One good thing about narrow doorways is less sound traveling from room to room. While you are talking on the phone she can enjoy here educational tv.. ;D
Think like a farmer.

Magicman

After the trim, I had it laid out for 44".   Oh well, 60" is better it just was not my idea.  I had laid out red crayon marks on the existing wall many months ago showing where the new doorway would be.

I will now have to move that wall switch and an existing outlet wiring.   :-\

WDH

The best laid plans of mice and men  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tree Feller

All I will say is that I am enjoying the updates...no matter who is in charge.   :D :D :D
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

Magicman

:D  "In charge" was never questioned. 

;D  Notice who is doing the pointing in the very first picture of this thread.   

Magicman

Wow, I was looking at that first picture and ended up looking at the entire 20 pages.   :o

It was sad to see that three of the posters who made contributions are now "In Memoriam".

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Magicman on November 18, 2012, 11:13:26 PM
Wow, I was looking at that first picture and ended up looking at the entire 20 pages.   :o

I did the same last night.  I must have read for over an hour.  MM, you are an inspiration to us all.  I'm 53, the youngest of 7.  I just bought a small parcel and plan to build a timber frame cabin.  My siblings commented that "you're too old to be doing that!".  I don't feel it and I need to send them a link to this tread!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Tree Feller

Quote from: ljohnsaw on November 19, 2012, 02:58:29 AM
Quote from: Magicman on November 18, 2012, 11:13:26 PM

I did the same last night.  I must have read for over an hour.  MM, you are an inspiration to us all.  I'm 53, the youngest of 7.  I just bought a small parcel and plan to build a timber frame cabin.  My siblings commented that "you're too old to be doing that!".  I don't feel it and I need to send them a link to this tread!

Tell your siblings to get a copy of the video documentary "Alone In The Wilderness" and watch it. Dick Proeneke, the maker of the documentary, was 53 when he went to an interior wilderness area in Alaska. He built a log cabin using hand tools that he packed in and then he lived in that cabin for 30 years...alone. I recorded it and the sequel on DVR from the local PBS station. I watch it regularly and enjoy it every time.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

Magicman

When I finish, I intend to go back and paste this thread to "MS Word" and print a booklet.  There have been so many interesting comments and encouraging words.  I had also forgotten many details and found a few surprises myself.

I have a photo album detailing the original Cabin build.

Magicman

Yup, "she" said that the doorway into the addition was not supposed to be a "doorway" but an opening. 

In this picture I had the wall almost paneled up which covered the existing window on the left and leaving a 44" doorway into the addition.  Well it got changed big time.

I have now removed the new wall paneling on the left and the opening has been extended from 44" to 94".  I will now remove the header from the existing window on the left and install a new header across the extended opening.

There will be a 48" closet on the right side of the room so the entrance will be about 20" on the left from the front wall and about 20" on the right from the closet.

A/C duct is next and then a pickling stain (white wash) will go on the walls.

clww

WOW! :o That's a big change from 44" to 94".
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!