iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timbery Sawmill

Started by Wilson, December 23, 2010, 01:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilson

Hey gang,

I am in the market for a portable sawmill to use just as a bit of a hobby.  I am looking for a bandmill with at least a 13hp gas motor on it.  So far I really like the Woodmizer and the Norwood, but very recently I saw a mill made by Timbery.  Does anyone have any info on this mill?
Running a Timbery Mill

jim king

Magicman

Good luck with your sawmill search and Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Wilson.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

they look a little expensive for what you get. are they close to you? i have never heard of a subaru motor on a mill. i really dont like those blade guides either. roller guides are better in my opinion.
if a manual mill is in your future, look at ez boardwalk's jr model. heavier frame, 13 hp honda motor,for $3600 last i checked. although i am sure shipping is a concern for you, i am certian that can be overcame. look at them under ez boardwalk's icon in the column on the left of this page. happy looking. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Fil-Dill

I just got home from EZ boardwalk's shop a few hours ago. I know he has a very slightly used (4.9hrs) jr. model on hand. He said is Jr. mill business has been excellent this year. I traded mine back in on the larger 40 size after only sawing a few logs. The mill sat in my yard a few weeks and logs and work started showing up. So before I used it much, I just traded up to the bigger one. Call him and he will put a brochure in the mail immediatly.
EZ boardwalk 40

paul case

now i am jealous. i have never been to ed's place.
trading up huh? i sure like my model 40. got 400 hours on it and NO harm done. where's central mo anyway? pc
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

Fil-Dill

Just a few miles south of I-70 around the Boonville area, which is 20-30 miles west of Columbia. I think I have sawed about 500 bft of lumber in my life and am already on my second mill. It is 125 miles to his place from here, but all good driving. This is alot more mill than I had. But I really liked the jr. size as well.
EZ boardwalk 40

NB sawdust

Hello! Just thought i'd throw my two cents in here. The fellow that makes the timbery line of equipment is located about 20 minutes from me. Although i don't know him very well , I did manage to have a brief conversation with him at the forestry show.He is also the local norwood dealer,and if I understand correctly he worked for norwood previously and helped design the norwood products. He is a very smart fellow that knows the manual mill market and equipment inside and out.

Although I own a norwood and do not know much about the timbery sawmill, I have looked at the edgers and log loaders that he builds and was very impressed. I would suggest a phone call to him .......  Take care.

edit: P.S google eastern compact equipment . This is the same place that makes the timbery i believe, but they have a different website for timbery.

paul case

Quote from: Fil-Dill on December 24, 2010, 07:14:28 AM
Just a few miles south of I-70 around the Boonville area, which is 20-30 miles west of Columbia. I think I have sawed about 500 bft of lumber in my life and am already on my second mill. It is 125 miles to his place from here, but all good driving. This is alot more mill than I had. But I really liked the jr. size as well.
ed is 5 hours or more from me. i am just in the ne corner of ok. maybe i will just take off for a day sometime and go visit with him, but from what i understand ed dont have a lot of spare time during harvest or planting season. he is real helpful when you do have a mill problem. made in usa should mean something and i can say with certianty that the ez boardwalk is a good mill with good people who stand behind it.  pc
pc

Wilson

That's a whole bunch of good info fellas....thank you.  I will check out EZ Boardwalks website.  When I finally decide on and purchase a bandmill, can any of you tell me which blade sharpener and setter to purchase?
Running a Timbery Mill

paul case

oh boy,
you just opened a big can of worms there.

if i had it to do over, i would build a dual tooth setter out of a bench vise.  as sharpeners go you can find sharpeners that cost more than half of many mills. the kind of shaperner you buy is up to you but most wont tell 1 important thing. blades wont last forever no matter what kind of sharpener you use on them.
i like the sharpener i purchased from ez boardwalk and it cost less than $500. it only sharpens the face of the tooth though. i get 6 to 8 sharpenings out of a band and usually i throw it away or it breaks. pc
pc

Wilson

Thanks Paul,  I'll jump on their website and take a look.  I already like the price!
Running a Timbery Mill

barnyard51

I have just purchased a 280 timbery mill with the 20.5 hp motor. I pick it up in about 2 wks. I hope to be able to give some positive feedback in 2 wks and a day. My father has a generator which has the Subaru Robyn motor. The last 2 yrs in the mtns of WV has resulted in a lot of power outages. One power outage was 16 days the other was 10. It ran 24/7 and would run several hrs longer than mine on the same amount of gas. So I have high hopes for my mill.   

thecfarm

barnyard51,welcome to the forum. Good choice on the hp. What's the plan for the lumber?Have your own trees?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dgdrls

Barnyard 51 welcome aboard,  look forward to hearing about your experience
with your mill.

DGDrls

dboyt

Wilson, welcome to the Forum.  Lots of good information here.  I've run a Norwood MX34 (my 3rd sawmill) for nearly two years. It is a good, solid machine, and great folks to deal with (a real person answers the phone).  They've just upgraded both of their mills.  Definitely worth a look.  Let us know what you decide.  What sort of wood will you be cutting.. size, species, final product?

Barnyard51, welcome! I look forward to seeing posts about your mill, as well.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Country6543

OK, been following you guys for some time and finally decided to join the forum.  I have own my own tree business (trimming and removal) and just recently bought a used Lumbermate 24 to get my feet wet. I really like it and it makes good lumber but is really a lightweight machine and has it's place.  Ok, as for the topic at hand, I went to the Paul Bunyan show in Cambridge Ohio today and made aquaintance with Timbery sawmills, spoke to the reps and ran there bigger trailer mounted mill.  Take all the short comings of the Norwood mx 34 and improve them.   After looking at all the mills and running the majority of them,  I really would have spent my money on the Timbery, even over the woodmizer LT28.
I enjoyed everything about it and the reps really explained the why's very well.  I told my partner that I could see myself owning one and upgrading with-in a year.  I must say though, that was my choice of the mills I saw but I am really interested in the Cook's mill, those guys know there stuff and would love to pick their brains.  I know this is my first post but you guys will be seeing alot more of me now that I'm registered.  Timbery if definately a mill to take a closer look at if your in the market. 
96' Ford F-800 Bucket 60ft wh- Vermeer BC935 chipper  - 02' F-350 7.3 Powerstroke pristine - 2000 Case 1845c - Lumberlite 24 - Speedco kinetic log splitter, Earth Mtn. Man 505 wood boiler.

thecfarm

Country6543,welcome to the forum. Planing to go to next years show all ready???  :D   What's all the lumber going to be used for?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Let us know when you go pick one of those mills up,

and we like pics, as you probably already know.  ;D

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Country6543

All the lumber that was chipped, cut, split or otherwise will be auctioned off on Sunday at 2:00 o'clock.  The proceeds were going to be donated to a charity but I don't remember what charity they said.  I have to say, If your interested in anything to do with logging, milling, cutting, hauling or moving of wood, the show is a fantastic wealth of information. It was about a 2 hour drive for me but was well worth it and my guys loved it to. Kinda adds a little spark to them and gives em' a boost. 
96' Ford F-800 Bucket 60ft wh- Vermeer BC935 chipper  - 02' F-350 7.3 Powerstroke pristine - 2000 Case 1845c - Lumberlite 24 - Speedco kinetic log splitter, Earth Mtn. Man 505 wood boiler.

thecfarm

Country6543,I meant what is the lumber going to be used for from your mill? We have a small show in Bangor Maine once every 2 years. I went to it both days so I could see it all.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Country6543   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Country6543

Magicman, thank you, I have read alot of your posts and you, Sir, are a wealth of information. Yourself and Bibby are two that I look forward to speaking with in the future.
Cfarm, Well, I have a laundry list of stuff to do. Kinda funny, I get a mill and Dad puts his order in, then my brother jumped on the bandwagon.  As for me, Make board fence, extend current deck, I really want a to make a board and batten horse barn for a couple of my daughter's horses.  I love the look. I have enough room that I will never run out of projects and as it seems my dad and brother are itching also. 
Lumber wise, well as of now dead ash is very plentiful but this is a get it while you can because it will be gone for good. Oak and hickory are also plentiful in my area along with the wonderful Honey Locust.  And I know your next question, what about the thorns.  Well I have a grapple and while the logs are still hooked the the drag tractor, I grab ahold with grapple and the tractor pulls the log though. Doesn't get em' all but gets alot and there bearable.   I really love honey locust, hard, strong, plentiful and semi rot resistant.

Nomad

Country, welcome to the Forum.  I was at the Paul Bunyan festival too.  I looked at the Timbery mills, and I admit I was impressed with them.  They look like a well thought out, well designed small mill.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

bery

It looks like I'm a little late on the comments for the Timbery Sawmill. I have not checked in for a while. I live in NW Ohio and bought a Timbery280 last Feb. Same as the 285 except no trailer. I mounted mine on my own trailer and added hydro log turner/ lift system I made from scratch which made the unit faster to work with as well as on my back.
  I looked around a lot for my size of trees to decide what size I could get by with starting out as well as my investment. So far I'm happy with this mill and bought it from a dealer that sold WM saw mills also. My blades came in a WM box and they sharpen them also. The mill is not a high production mill but I can saw a 24" dia x12" foot log in less than an hr. I like the many features and the design that was thought into it. The 20hp Subaru eng., runs nice, the built in tac/hr meter works well and also tells you when to change the oil. You stand to the right, the saw dust go out the left on the other side away from your face. You can see the blade from where you control as you cut with complete detail. This saw was well thought out and made simple. You can add any length of bed sections and the are all ready welded together. Push the handle turns the water feed/clutch/rpm as you push it through the log. I dont understand why people that have them don't show them on you tube, may be there's not enough out there yet. The drive belt runs in 1 pulley as the blade runs over the top ( I was told WM does the same). In any case it has many good , easy to replace features. When I bought mine, I was not sure of the ceramic's that hold the blade (most band saws use barrings ), so I bought an extra set. They are not even showing any ware and have not had to adjust them at all. The blade does not run hot and it more quiet running that the barring types. It's just a good manufactured mill but not for a full time production mill yard.
  I live in a farming area and as many trees are done away with for water ways and such, I thought I'd try this as a way to make a little money as well as save some of the trees from going to fire wood. Many people wont the slab wood to saw for fire wood as it is easy to handle. The nice thing about this mill, is mine was built in IN., in the USA and the service for them is outstanding. That about as important as the mill it's self.

Thank You Sponsors!