iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homebuilt Skidder

Started by Bobus2003, December 23, 2010, 08:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobus2003

Gotta chance at getting a Ditch Witch 3500 Trencher for free.. Has a trencher on the rear, and a Blade on the front, Powered by a Duetz Diesel, 4x4.. Thinking that i would pull the trencher, and put on a Hyd Powered winch.. With a set of chains and some fluid in the tires i think it would be a useful "mini skidder" for  yards/Small acrages. Places you wouldn't want a Skidder or larger equip. what ya think?

Autocar

My first skidder was V465 Vemeer ditcher/backhoe/road boring/blade. I made axle extension and put on combine tires then I had trouble with the air cooled motor vapor locking in the summer so I put a 300 Ford engine in it. More horse power got me in trouble I was pulling tree length ash and was coming down the skid trail and the butt of the ash hit a stump and hung up. I broke it in half right behind where it articulated. So then I made a grapple for it to go faster more production. But when I pulled over 350/400 bd ft the front end wanted to float and on turns you had to be very careful because it want to flip over on its side. So I pulled the grapple off and put a warn winch on it with a shar lin motor running it. It has made me money over the years but you have to know the breaking point of the machine and there dangerous because there so narrow. It has ford split axles and I never broke a axle and it has been abused. Now I pull some firewood poles here at home but mostley to push snow.
Bill

lumberjack48

It would make a handy dandy little skidder, sounds like a fun project. It would be nice in selective cut pine, or even row cut pine, it would be nice in anything just us with in its means[ price was right ]
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

WH_Conley

Sounds like the price is right. The first skidders I saw as a kid were cut down trucks. Front end, rear end and a seat somewhere in the middle. The nice ones had a winch on the back.
Bill

lumberjack48

I remember these, they called them a Bug, my uncle had one, it had 20" truck tires front an back, a flat head 6, with a 2 tran. set up, the damest looking thing.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

timberfaller390

I believe Ironwood has done the very thing you are describing.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Thank You Sponsors!