The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: My First Boat  (Read 13197 times)

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
Re: My First Boat
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2011, 11:23:55 PM »
Sounds like the Jet Ski Guy got his motor cranked  :D.  Good stuff, keep it coming.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2011, 06:29:43 AM »
Don't worry about the big shot, probably on his second mortgage. I woulda waved at him and his big hulk with a smile on my face. :D :D Too funny.

I have a 7.5 HP Evenrude just sitting around. It's got almost no hours on it at all, way less than 100. I have kept it because one never knows when I might take to urge to go boat'n. Now a days you have to take an examination on boat safety to even put it in the water. Regulators think these things keep idiots off the water you know. :D

You have yourself a nice little boat, although I'm not so sure I would be walking the deck without a hefty fella on the stern. :D ;) That little walk out there can be a little dicey. :D
Move'n on.

Offline fishpharmer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2011, 06:52:20 AM »
MS, the unforgettable memories with your family is really what its all about. The deck looks super.
 8) 8)
Keep stories and pics coming., thanks.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Offline Norm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2011, 08:08:08 AM »
Nothing perturbs me more than being in that secluded cove drowning worms when all of a sudden one of those bass boats comes screaming in full bore. Can you guess where my next cast goes.  :D

Great stories Chris, brings back fond memories. Well except for the bass boat.

Offline Coon

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2011, 03:35:25 PM »
I hear ya on the Boaters Exam there Swamp Donkey.  It's nothing more than a joke.  When I went for my certification it was nothing more than a multiple choice test and any of the questions that someone was unsure about they gave us the answer and explained it to us.  That consisted of over half the test.  Can't remember for sure but you needed either 80 or 90% to pass.  Somehow there were a few that still didn't pass.  :D  And to think that they charged us $60 per person for this.  ::) 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
  • Unofficial Team Physician
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2011, 04:24:47 PM »
I love the decking!  Nice job MS!  Great little craft.

Swamp + Coon -  I had to get a boater's certification for myself, my wife, and my two daughters just to use our boats up in Canada.  If you fail the test, you just take another.  I saw nothing in the test worthwhile, except maybe the emphasis that you should help another boater in trouble (duh!).  What is really great is the "security" of the test.  You can't have a family member monitor the test to make sure the person taking it isn't cheating.  The monitor has to be from another email address!  Totally a shameless, money-making scam.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Toms Saw
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2011, 05:12:06 PM »
It sure makes one wonder why a fellow can't just throw and log in the water and paddle it around, doesn't it?

It's a good thing there were no boating tests 100,000 years ago.  Man would still be in Africa.
extinct

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2011, 07:51:13 AM »
The boat decking looks terrific Chris.  Good luck with the motor.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline CLL

• Share Post
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2011, 01:46:14 AM »
Metalspinner, caught more fish in a 16' aluminum boat with a 5hp Sea King(Sears) than any of the bass boats I ever had. Good luck fishing, just be careful in the wind.
Too much work-not enough pay.

Offline metalspinner

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2012, 01:12:56 PM »
Before I winterize my little boat, there is some updating to do... ;D

Because of the way I fish, I found myself walking back and forth from the bow to the stern all the time.  And the middle bench seat was getting tiresome to step over.  The ribbed bottom was also kind of testing my patience because all my stuff wouldn't sit flat and just seemed to be in the way.

So the middle seat came out, and I installed a floor in the bottom.

Each rib was different, so they all had to be scribed to their particular rib in the boat bottom.  I cut and installed the front and rear ribs first and added the center floor board.  That gave me the refrence for all the other ribs and things moved along pretty quick. Under each scribed end, I put a piece of weather stripping that give some cushion to the floor.

Here are all the cedar boards installed...

They extend under the back bench seat but stop shy of the transom....

And a view from the captain's chair...

Fishfarmer,
You mentioned earlier a foam product and I think I will spray this under my flooring for some added floatation.  Under the front decking I have plenty of floatation in the form of about 100 plastic gatoraide bottles. ::)  But the middle and rear of the boat is is need of something.

A couple of other things you may have noticed... A new motor! 8) it's a 15hp Tohatsu with electric start. 

Also, on the front seat, I installed a solar charger for my battery.  It won't charge a drained battery in a day, but it keeps me from having to remove the battery from the boat when I get home to charge in the garage.  I fabbed a couple of aluminum brackets and installed them on the the back of the seat.

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Offline fishpharmer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2012, 02:35:40 PM »
The cedar looks very nice!    I've heard good things about the Tohatsu motors, electric start sure makes boating more fun.   8)

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Offline Den Socling

• Senior Member x2
  • just wondering
    • Share Post
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2012, 03:00:35 PM »
Nice work.  8) I bet you had fun sprucing her up!

Offline WildDog

• Share Post
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2012, 04:11:18 PM »
Looks good, the wood and rubber will go along way to deadening on board noise when fishing :)
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2012, 04:20:11 PM »
You did a fine job remodeling. :) Be careful out there, I know how tippy the smaller alum. boats were when we used to fish and anchor side by side on the Saint John river. We had a larger boat. Good thing, my grandfather liked standing up fishing sometimes and I think he felt he was still 30 when casting that fly for a salmon. He was always sober, but you know how you start to get unsteady after about 40. :D ;)
Move'n on.

Offline Leigh Family Farm

• Live life the way you want. You only get one.
    • Share Post
    • Isagenix
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
Spray foam can be expensive. If your using foam, I would get block foam from West Marine. Also, you don't need much to keep the boat afloat if its swamped. The only problem with too much foam (blocks or spray) is water logging and that can cause mildew and smells. The stuff I used in racing was ballast bags. They are inflatable bags that provide flotation, can be removed for cleaning, and will keep your whole boat afloat with just two small bags.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2012, 06:50:33 PM »
Your superb craftsmanship and thoughtful planning is very obvious.  It's a shame to have to winterize something like that, but "come on Spring".   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline metalspinner

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2012, 10:27:35 PM »
Thanks, guy's for the shared excitement. :)

I originally bought this boat because it was inexpensive and I thought it would stay that way. ::) ::) : Yeah, right! :D

At some point, it becomes a point of no return. It's just about how I want it now. ;D  Rod storage is the one thing I keep scratching my head about. ???
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Boat

Started by Peter Drouin on General Woodworking

5 Replies
Last post November 06, 2017, 05:48:57 AM
by Peter Drouin
xx
Anyone See the Boat

Started by Fla._Deadheader on General Board

8 Replies
Last post November 24, 2005, 05:24:54 PM
by Fla._Deadheader