iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got My New Mill Today

Started by DeepWoods, December 03, 2003, 04:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeepWoods

My Norwood was delivered today.  Only took a week from the time I ordered it.  Counted all the boxes as recommended by Norwood, all there and in good shape.  Now normally I would be jumping up and down with excitement, but yesterday, I twisted my knee coming down ladder at work. :( :(  So tonight I started reading the assembly manual.  Seems very well layed out.  I will also be going back to Mark M's pictures for references as he did an excellent job with his pic's.  Mark M, I may want to pick your brain a little if that is OK with you.

I will hopefully be able to get the 25 boxes out of my trailer, and into the shop this weekend if my knee will let me. Maybe I can get Mrs. DeepWoods to help if she's not busy.  

Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

VA-Sawyer

Bummer about the knee man.  :(  Congrats on the mill.

Come on Mrs Deepwoods, have a heart here and help the man out.  ;D

Rick

Ed_K

Congrats, on getting a mill, Deepwoods  8). Its a good idea to read the manual  ;). I ended up walking back to the house to get the directions, for mine. Things sometimes look easier than they are  ;).
 Ed
Ed K

pappy

DeepWoods,

Sorry ta hear about you injury  :( :( :(

Between Mark M's pics and a triple reading of that manual will save beau coup time.  Sometimes luck comes in strange ways ?????????

have fun w/ the assembly and just think of all the fun you gonna have sawing w/ dat puppy.

heal quick + play safe,
termite
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

dan-l-b

Congrats and welcome Deepwoods,  8) 8)  My first mill was a Norwood.  Glad I had the opportunity to assemble it helped me understand the basic workings of a mill.  It took me three days with air tools.  Hurt my back so I went to a hydraulic woodmizer.  Luv it too :) :)

pasbuild

Deepwoods
 If you ordered your mill with the 20hp Honda do yourself a favor and leave it in the box it came in and send it back, I would hate to see anybody go through the grief that this motor will put you through.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Bigdogpc

Congrats on the mill!!!!  Bad luck on the knee, the good point is it lets you read the manual at leisure rather than trying to dive in headfirst.

dan-l-b

Pasbuild, I had the twenty horse power and had alot of trouble keeping it running in cold weather.  Is that what your referring to? ???

woodmills1

I was over at a customers today to measure up a trailer.  It is a paving company.  They have honda 20's on their whackers and small rollers.  I asked him about the cold and he said they let them run with choke part way to warm then feather off the choke and they are fine.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

DeepWoods

Pasbuild,   Actually I went with the 23hp Briggs VanGuard Engine.  I wanted the most hp availible, and the Norwood Rep advised against the 20hp because I live in Minnesota.  The price was the same, and I had read here and elsewhere that the 20 hp Honda should be avoided.  I would have prefered the Honda because I think they have had some very good engines in the past.  But I didn't want to take any chances.   I also have a 18 hp Briggs Vanguard on my wood chipper, and have had no problems with it so far.  

I took the day off work so I could be off my leg, but that trailer full of parts is calling me.  I hate waiting!!!!  
Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

Frickman

Congratualations DeepWoods on the new mill! Isn't getting new toys great? Whats nice about your mill is that its NEW! You don't have to fix someone else's mistakes.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

pasbuild

Dan-I-b
  Yes I was talking about the cold weather problems with the Honda 20hp >:( :-[

Woodmills
  The problem with running the engine with the chock on is your not getting the RPM or power to the blade that you should, It also dumps fuel into the oil when it is run that rich leaving you with having to change the oil and plugs far to often.

I wonder if all of the people with the Honda 20 were to get together and in a collective voice pitch there bitch to Honda if Honda would hear it and do something? They will do nothing on an individual level  >:( >:( >:(
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

HUNTER700

Hey Deepwoods, Congrats on the new mill. I think you made the right choice by getting the Briggs engine. :) I have a 10hp Briggs on my mill runs great no complaints. ;D Have a 12hp Honda on a generator unit, she gets really picky when it gets cold. Carb icing has been the main problem. This minor problem was fix by directing hot air blowing off the engine through a flex hose to the carb.By keeping the carb warm she really runs better now in the cold. :) Enjoy the mill. Let us know how the set up process goes.Hunter700

Paul_H

So,Deepwoods..
How loud did the mill call to you?Did you start on it? ;)

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

DeepWoods

Paul_H,  Well like I mentioned before, I hate waiting.  I spent three hours in the shop tonight putting the rails together.  My leg is a little sore, but it was worth it.  I put my leg up when I was finished, took a bunch of ibuprophen, and washed them down with a cold one.  I called my brother-in-law this evening, he has a laser level that I think will do a great job on getting the rails straight.  He is coming over tomorrow morning with it.  I hope I can talk him in to helping out for a while.  
So far I am very satisfied with the quality of the mill.  I was interested if any one knew where I could find out the proper torque for the 3/8 grade 5 bolts that are used on the rails?  I would like to use my torque wrench, but Norwood doesn't provide any specifications in the instructions.

Paul_H

DeepWoods

Even though my knee was hurting I managed to get most of the mill assembled this weekend.  I had some help from my Brother-in law yesterday.  Everything went as expected.  I am very pleased with the ease of assembly.  I only had one hole in the axle that didn't line up correctly.  I drilled it out to the next larger size, and all is well.

I do have one question to anyone that has a Norwood with the 23hp Briggs.  When you installed the muffler, were the bolts that hold the muffler brace to the engine long enough?  I believe there is a spacer that has two holes in it that is suppose to go  beween the block and brace.  If this is so, then the bolts supplied do not seem to be long enough.  Am I missing something here?

Paul_H

Ya gotta like it 8)

I can almost smell the paint.

chet

You've been a busy boy. Lookin' good.   :)   Sorry I can't help ya with your question, as mine has a Honda.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

danf38

lmao dude ur mill came in a box . why no buy one already assembled. :D

Tom

He's making sure that his mill is manufactured to proper specs, Dan. :)

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)

Stump Jumper

ill bet deepwoods is going need a saw shed.I dont see any room in the workshop for logs. ;D ;D 8)
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

DeepWoods

Hey Folks, I have been tinkerin with some of the finer details on the mill this week, and it's lookin real good.  I bought six trailer tongue jacks to raise and level it, and a Warn winch to get the logs on the mill.  I like what Mark M has done with his Norwood, and am going the same route.  I will be heading to the steel yard tomorrow morning to get some steel to build the winch stand and ramps.  I will post some more pics soon.
I am still looking for a cheap hour meter to put on it, so I can keep track of engine hours for maintenance purposes.  

To Danf38, one of the reasons I bought one I could put together is because I happen to enjoy that type of work, and also feel a sense of accomplisment with doing it myself.

To Stump_jumper, Yes I will need a saw shed, and that will be one of the things that I hope to get built with the lumber I mill.  I also plan on making my garage at the cabin twice its current size.  I just never seem to build things big enough the first time around.    

Norwoods has treated me well with any questions I have had, and I am very satisfied with them and their product so far.      

Thank You Sponsors!