The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Skid steers to work around your mills?????  (Read 7204 times)

Offline oakiemac

• Senior Member x2
  • God bless the U.S.A!
    • Share Post
    • Hickoryandoak
Re: Skid steers to work around your mills?????
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 08:34:08 PM »
ely, I got my steel traks at Ell river http://www.eelriversteel.com/index.php?nav=trax
I beleive they were around $1000 which is a lot of money but about a third the price that Bobcat wanted and they work great. Get the special tool that they make for $100 or so to help install the tracks-well worth the money.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Offline jpgreen

• Senior Member x2
  • My Boy- Snoopy Dogbone Green
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 10:03:33 PM »
I love my ASV 2810...

I live in the mountains and it will walk up and down inclines lifting large diameter bucked up logs with ease. It's got an 85 Hp Isuzu Turbo diesel- excellent running engine with plenty of power. Excellent visibility.

This machine is truly unique. It's bi-directional. The seat swaps directions and the machine operates like a dozer with the engine up front as well. Tremendous pulling power for a compact machine.

I use this bucket jaw attachment for bringing logs down the mountain, pulling and digging stumps, and moving large piles of brush. Ripping manzanita brush and small trees.  With this one attachment and a chainsaw, I can thin forests and brush quickly. Don't need nothin' else.

Flat tracks last longer the other rubber tracked machines.
I shopped and looked a few years before I could buy one and I'm very happy it...  8)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Offline Handy Andy

• I'm not new anymore
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 06:57:23 AM »
  I have a Case 60 XT, just tires, but amazing what all you can do with it.  I have a brush grapple used to pile limbs, can pick up an amazing sized log, sometimes I have to just pick it up a few inches to avoid leaning the skidsteer forward, it will lift more than it will load high. Other day I loaded a car on a trailer with it.  Got a bit tippy but I got er on the trailer. Junk is high priced right now. Yes it is hard on the grass.  I try to turn around on gravel, and not spin around on the grass. So far mine is low maintenance.  Had to take it to Case last summer for a repair, when it was built someone forgot to tighten a spool.  Came apart in the valve, and wouldn't lift.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 01:18:53 PM »
I've always said a skid steer is kind of like a Leatherman tool, kind of a jack of all trades, master of none. I own a case 1845c, they are a great machine. I wouldn't trade mine for anything, either. I do gravel work, landscaping, slab prep, pile wood on landings, move wood around the mill, use it for scaffolding ::), rent it out on occasion, plow snow, on and on. I wouldn't want anything smaller than mine for my purposes. It's about 6500lbs. and 60HP. They do tear up the ground, especially with an inexperienced operator. If you take it easy you can really lessen the damage around your mill site, but, by design the things "skid" their tires to turn, so things get tore up. I just backdrag my tracks now and then with the bucket and I'm good, but if you have a wet or muddy site it's not as easy to fix things once they get tore up.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline oakiemac

• Senior Member x2
  • God bless the U.S.A!
    • Share Post
    • Hickoryandoak
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 10:14:29 PM »
That's quite a machine you have there jpgreen. I have seen those before and I wondered how well they worked.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Offline Tom Sawyer

• Share Post
    • Tom Sawyer Sawmill
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2011, 11:36:25 AM »
I use a Case 1845 around my mill.  My first skidsteer was an 1838 but it was just too small too often.  I love it around the mill and wouldn't trade it, except maybe for one a little bit bigger.

Tom

Offline jpgreen

• Senior Member x2
  • My Boy- Snoopy Dogbone Green
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2011, 11:58:30 AM »
That's quite a machine you have there jpgreen. I have seen those before and I wondered how well they worked.

For a one man mill it's a good machine. It had 750 hours on it when I bought it, and it's only for personal use, so It should last me the rest of my life.  Need a backhoe attachment. Always somethin' .. ;D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Info on skid steers

Started by killerman on General Board

32 Replies
Last post February 23, 2015, 11:15:14 AM
by barbender
xx
? about older small skid steers

Started by whitepine on Forestry and Logging

1 Replies
Last post December 18, 2005, 10:19:45 AM
by badpenny
xx
Options, attachments, mods for Skid Steers?

Started by SawDust_Studios on Sawmills and Milling

7 Replies
Last post November 08, 2006, 10:26:11 AM
by slowzuki
xx
How well do the board returns work on the WM mills?

Started by Dave Shepard on Sawmills and Milling

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2007, 01:53:07 PM
by DR_Buck