iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

husqvarna 40

Started by Jims small husky, January 22, 2011, 08:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims small husky

I have a husky 40, a small saw that I have flailed mercilessly for 30 some odd years and finally fried the piston and scored the cylinder rather badly and the saw is, of course obsolete. I'm attached to the old bugger and would like to save it if I can find the parts. Do any of you guys know where I can get a cyl and piston for it or some other model that will fit it with minor work? I'm not a machinist but some filing, drilling and tapping is within reach. A parts saw with usable jug and slug would be great. I'd sure appreciate any help finding a solution.
  On the thread re. the husky 339xp somebody said that milling with such a small saw was not possible but I've got to say that I've milled 8x8s from Incense Cedar with this little guy and an improvised mill. I'd file the chain often, clean the air filter and clutch housing after every cut, (the chain brake was removed to reduce the drag from crud accumulation)(no, I'm not recommending this) and it would make a 16' pass in just about 60 seconds, chain top plate filed to 0 degrees. Oh yeah, 20" bar on this little feller which is 4" more than recommended but a very handy size for my uses., Jim.   

weimedog

I actually have one. Its  in a sugar shack out in  my woods..no idea of the condition..I'll get it next time I go out there/ Might have a piston & cylinder that's serviceable.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

sablatnic

Husqvarna made two models labeled 40. Is it the squarish looking plastic saw from around 1984, or is it the earlier metal one?

Saw Dr.

Pull the top end off and post up some pics here.  Many times, even well used cylinders can be salvaged if they are not grooved out.  Aftermarket pistons are readily available for that saw, and inexpensive.  On something of this vintage, I would personally opt for a nice tight aftermarket piston than a partially used OEM one.  If the cylinder is a tad loose, and you want to go another 30 years, every thousandth of piston diameter will help.

You WILL need to find out what caused the scoring in the first place.  Those things do not just fry for no reason.  It is most likely has an air leak.  Trick will be finding where it is.  I would look closely at the muffler and make sure there is no foreign material in there, as carbon pieces can cause scoring which will start the landslide of self-destruction.  Also, if you have really decided to salvage this saw, now is the time for a fresh carburetor rebuild and fuel line. 

Good luck.  We will expect pictures.
I don't try to explain to others why I play with chainsaws.  For those who already know, no explanation is needed.  For those who do not, no explanation is POSSIBLE!

Super 250

Spike60

That saw chassis was very reliable despite the fact that they feel kind of cheap when you pick them up. Based on the Partner 400, they were made in three sizes for Husky and Jonsered. Husky 40, 45, and 49, and Jonsered 2045, and 2050. The Huskys came in first in gray and then orange tops. P&C's interchange so you can do an upgrade on the rebuild. I'll have to check when I get to the store tomorrow, but I think the parts are priced fairly decent. As was mentioned, the cylinder may be salvageable, so a piston may be all you need.

I have a gray top40 that I haven't run in a while. Got it for free and used it as the "pallet saw" at the store for a couple years. It's fairly quiet stock, so I suppose it would respond to a muff mod. It's a good thing that this chassis is reliable, because they are a bit of a pain to work on.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

lumberjack48

Back in 82 i had a Husky 444 SE Pro i use for cutting small row cut Norway, it was super fast, really a fun saw to run.
It sounded like a model airplane, i cut 200 trees a day with it, this saw looked just like a Husky 44, the 44 had a white top, the 444 was all orange
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Jims small husky

Thanks to all of you guys for the responses. The saw is late 70s, orange and white. Lot of it is plastic, only metal on the exterior is the clutch cover but I bought it in 78 or 79. I'd send pics but the cyl is scored deeply just to the right of the exhaust port and about 5/8" wide so I see no way to salvage it.
  Saw doc, are you saying to hone or bore the cyl to a larger size? My local shop didn't mention that option but then they didn't mention after market stuff either. Spike if you can fix me up with the parts let me know please. Wiemedog I'm interested in your saw or the parts from it too so let me know. I'm in California for shipping considerations.
   I'd like very much to resurrect this thing as we've done a lot of stuff from log house and timber frame, general construction and demolition, lots of firewood and some small timber and the milling mentioned above. I feel like I know it pretty well. Currently I need to rip manzanita for some artsy crafty type things and clear out a bunch of scrub and small cedar and fir to open up the view and the old 066 is a bit of overkill and too heavy for this old coot. Thanks again all of ya, Jim.
  Lumberjack48, sorry to read about your accident. Couple years back my friend John got killed in the woods in a freakish accident. Taking a big sugar pine down the healthy looking black oak behind it had been leaning on it and it snuck up on him. My pal Greg got crushed under his log truck and damaged his lower spine so he's in a chair but he's still truckin' along, You keep truckin' too, Jim.

sablatnic

That is the "old" model 40. You should be able to use the cylinder/piston from any of the 140, 344, 444 series, and from the older brushcutters too. If I remember correctly the professinal brushcutter models before the 244rx.

Saw Dr.

Quote from: Jims small husky on January 26, 2011, 01:36:55 AM
   Thanks to all of you guys for the responses. The saw is late 70s, orange and white. Lot of it is plastic, only metal on the exterior is the clutch cover but I bought it in 78 or 79. I'd send pics but the cyl is scored deeply just to the right of the exhaust port and about 5/8" wide so I see no way to salvage it.
  Saw doc, are you saying to hone or bore the cyl to a larger size? My local shop didn't mention that option but then they didn't mention after market stuff either. Spike if you can fix me up with the parts let me know please. Wiemedog I'm interested in your saw or the parts from it too so let me know. I'm in California for shipping considerations.
   I'd like very much to resurrect this thing as we've done a lot of stuff from log house and timber frame, general construction and demolition, lots of firewood and some small timber and the milling mentioned above. I feel like I know it pretty well. Currently I need to rip manzanita for some artsy crafty type things and clear out a bunch of scrub and small cedar and fir to open up the view and the old 066 is a bit of overkill and too heavy for this old coot. Thanks again all of ya, Jim.
  Lumberjack48, sorry to read about your accident. Couple years back my friend John got killed in the woods in a freakish accident. Taking a big sugar pine down the healthy looking black oak behind it had been leaning on it and it snuck up on him. My pal Greg got crushed under his log truck and damaged his lower spine so he's in a chair but he's still truckin' along, You keep truckin' too, Jim.

Quote from: sablatnic on January 26, 2011, 12:35:44 PM
That is the "old" model 40. You should be able to use the cylinder/piston from any of the 140, 344, 444 series, and from the older brushcutters too. If I remember correctly the professinal brushcutter models before the 244rx.

What he said ^^^

I have never seen a gouge 5/8" wide in a cylinder.  If you have some aluminum transfer from the piston on there, it can often be cleaned off with some patience and muratic acid.  Once the transfer is off, you can see if the plating is comprimised, or if there are any gouges through it.  Some pictures would sure be helpful here.  Certainly it would be perferable to find a 444 top end and use that, but I doubt anyone will be lining up to let go of one of those.
I don't try to explain to others why I play with chainsaws.  For those who already know, no explanation is needed.  For those who do not, no explanation is POSSIBLE!

Super 250

sablatnic

I know why Jim likes it. I have one too. With real ignition.None of that new electronic stuff

Saw Dr.

Here is a pic of Jim's cylinder that I got in an email.  Looks like typical transfer to me.  I'd certainly give it a try cleaning that one up.  What do you all think?

Super 250

Jims small husky

OK, I'm gonna start trying to get that crap out of there. Muriatic acid huh? And where am I gonna find this after market piston? My local saw shop guys just look blank. Saw Doc, you mentioned an over sized piston if I understood right?? And one more, with the acid, do I just put it in there and let it work or do some scrubbing? I know not to slop it on myself and other stuff and beware the fumes. The ports have exposed aluminum or so it seems. Won't the muriatic attack them too? OK, enough, thanks, it's great to find folks who know something about this stuff. I've encountered a lot of ignorance of the subject locally, Jim.

Saw Dr.

Hey Jim,

I don't think I mentioned an oversize piston.  That is typically not done on modern chainsaws.  The cylinder is aluminum and is coated with a hard chrome or Nikasil coating in the bore.  It is very durable, and likely still viable if there are no gouges above the exhaust port.  You are correct that the muratic acid can and will ruin the jug quickly if you do it wrong.  You need to put a small amount of acid in a plastic container (I use a spray-can lid.)  Get a 1000 bag of q-tips at the dollar store.  Dab some acid on the smeared areas of the cylinder ONLY, and let it sit for a few minutes.  I then rinse it out with water, and follow up with 400 wet/dry sandpaper.  You will have to repeat this process several times.  Most of mine take a few dozen cycles.  I save them up and do 5 or 6 at one time so the per-unit time is much less.  Yes, it is a pain.  Finding a new top-end will be an equal or worse pain. 

I have not researched piston availability yet, but the good news is that those smaller pistons seem to be more prolific than the bigger ones.  Not very often you find a Jonnyred 90 piston just laying on a dealer shelf somewhere, but I bet there is a Husky 40 piston somewhere that a dealer would be glad to shed.  Lets get the jug cleaned up, and then the hunt for the piston can start.

Super 250

Jims small husky

Hi Doc. You said something about every thou. counting that I thought might mean opening up the bore and I didn't see how so you've cleared that up. I found a cylinder and piston at chainsawr today and sent for it so should be up and running in a week or so. I'll still clean up the cylinder I have just in case and if this doesn't work out, I'll be looking for a piston.

SawTroll

Quote from: Jims small husky on January 29, 2011, 02:32:47 AM
Hi Doc. You said something about every thou. counting that I thought might mean opening up the bore and I didn't see how so you've cleared that up. I found a cylinder and piston at chainsawr today and sent for it so should be up and running in a week or so. I'll still clean up the cylinder I have just in case and if this doesn't work out, I'll be looking for a piston.

Did you make sure that the one you found is for the old 40, and not for the newer one?

Part lists;

First model 40 (Practica)

Second model 40

To add to the confusion, Acres site list only one model 40, and the info is a mix of info on both models....... :D :D
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: sablatnic on January 26, 2011, 12:35:44 PM

Yes, that "family" consisted of the 140, 240, 340 (another model number that was used twise), 40, 444, 44 and 644 (probably japan only) - in roughly chronologic order.

The 40, 44 and 644 were Practica/Rancher models, the others were pro saws.

The second model 40 was a pure "homeowner" saw.
Information collector.

Jims small husky

Hello out there, does anybody read me? I've sent five posts now that haven't made it to their destination so I'm gonna try again and summarize a bit. Wrong cylinder, Scott took it back. Still no luck on piston. Sablatnic, I took the points out and replaced with electronic module which solved the chronic hard starting problem, hope that isn't blasphemy. I dug out an old Homelite auto oiler, tiny little thing with 12" bar. It seemed like the bar oil was finding a way into the combustion chamber cause it poured out smoke like a coal burning train. I think I see now how this might be possible but any of you guys got input on this? How about a blow up of engine?

Jims small husky

Well saw doc, the cylinder looks fairly good. I hesitate to scour it any more. Don't want to go through the plating. The acid and wet or dry worked fairly easily. It doesn't have that just been honed look, symmetrical cross hatch top to bottom but I think it's OK so I'm ready for a piston if anybody has a line on one. Think I'll try another thread with that title, Jim.

Jims small husky

Still looking for that piston. No luck on ebay. Some later model 40 stuff but no Practica. The 066 is way too much to wrestle with on these side hills to cut 8 and 10 inch stuff. Found an old homelite xl with a 12" bar in the junk pile and made it run so can get on with some light clearing at least but it's sure not the saw I'm used to. Clutch is going on it too. I'd hate to have to go to the saw shop and part with five or six hundred to have a new, shiny, state of the art, trouble and vibration free, work of the saw makers art to fondle. Nah. Probably get on craigs list for a hundred dollar "project". Keep lookin' out there, Jim.   

weimedog

Is the 40 Practica in the same family as the 238 and 42 I built a while back? Maybe you can build it to a different more available size...also I have this Husqvarna 40..but its a first generation plastic  looking thing. Not a Poulan but a cheaper looking saw. If that's the same we can work something on that one as I have no plans for it..it just sits in storage.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Jims small husky

Hey Weimedog, thanks for the reply. I don't know about the 238 and 42. I'm told the 44 and several others,interchange but got hold of a parts list for the 44 and the crank cases are different part numbers. Same crankshaft and some other parts and cyl flange looks similar so I don't know what to think. I'd be happy to add a few ccs if it's a matter of bolting on a different cylinder but don't know how to ascertain that. Sablatnic and the Saw Troll say there are "several in that series" but I don't know if that means parts are compatible. This saw looks just like the one Sablatnic posted on this thread back in January if that tells you anything. I'd be happy to work a deal if the saw you have is compatible. Thanks again, Jim.   

Jims small husky

Well I've found a 444 top end at Jacks Small Engine for a mere $243.00 plus shipping. I'm about half tempted to give it a go but I'd sure like to know for sure it would bolt up. On the other hand, what sort if idiot pays half the price of a good new saw for a few parts for a 33 year old saw that's been worked hard? Are there limits to this keeping old stuff alive business? Is this a metaphor for our own mortality? Mustn't go all philosophical here. This is practical stuff. Jim.

SawTroll

Quote from: weimedog on February 11, 2011, 09:29:53 AM
Is the 40 Practica in the same family as the 238 and 42 I built a while back? Maybe you can build it to a different more available size...also I have this Husqvarna 40..but its a first generation plastic  looking thing. Not a Poulan but a cheaper looking saw. If that's the same we can work something on that one as I have no plans for it..it just sits in storage.

No it isn't, it is an older basic design, that started with the 140 in the early 1970s, and ended with the 444, 44 and 644. The 238 and 42 (etc) is based on the later and smaller 133 design.

The "plastic" model 40s are based on the Partner P400, also known as the very first plastic cased saw.
Information collector.

weimedog

Quote from: SawTroll on February 13, 2011, 09:18:11 AM
Quote from: weimedog on February 11, 2011, 09:29:53 AM

No it isn't, it is an older basic design, that started with the 140 in the early 1970s, and ended with the 444, 44 and 644. The 238 and 42 (etc) is based on the later and smaller 133 design.

The "plastic" model 40s are based on the Partner P400, also known as the very first plastic cased saw.

Thanks ST..I guess i can't help here then..but good to learn a little history!

Jims small husky

Yeah thanks for the info. It looks like I'll be going with a different saw. Hate to do it. Saw Troll, or anybody who knows,will that 444 jug bolt up? Just in case. Thanks, Jim. 

Thank You Sponsors!