iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Attention All Fishermen

Started by Fla._Deadheader, December 06, 2003, 03:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Y'all make fun of our strange lookin logs and how they got holes in 'em and such.
  Well, here's a well kept secret. We use OUR logs for more than lumber. WE catch supper with 'em, too.

Fresh Catfish and Es'cargo. Couldn't find the Crawdad and the 1½ pound Bluegill got away from ED and made his escape. :o ;D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

EZ

I'll pass on that stuff, now if you pull out a couple of nice walleye, I'll be down. ;D
EZ

Fla._Deadheader

If the water gets much colder, it wouldn't surprise me none, to find some ::) ;D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

ARKANSAWYER

As a kid GrandPa and I would put hollow logs in the byous of Mississippi and they were called "catfish coffens".   We would come back all summer and "noodle" them.    Now you are a sawing up all the catfish houses and they have no place to hide from gators.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

Stan

QuoteNow you are a sawing up all the catfish houses and they have no place to hide from gators.
ARKANSAWYER

He'll quit laughin' when all he can git is farmed catfish.  :-/
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Fla._Deadheader

:o NOPE, I druther eat horses butts than catfishes. Them whiskers must tickle ::) :o :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

DouginUtah

I was eating at the local Golden Corral and tried something that appeared to be fish.

Took a bite and had to spit it out. Told the waitress that the fish was "bad".

She said, "You know that's catfish, don't you?"

I said, "No, but if that's what it tastes like I won't be taking any again."

So... does good catfish have a tangy, spoiled, rotten taste to it? ???

-Doug
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Tom

Fresh catfish is good whether farm raised or river grown.  I get a strong tasting one from the lakes and rivers now and again but they are still good.  The bad taste comes from people not protecting the fish from higher temperatures.  You can't leave them out on the counter uncooked for 3 or 4 hours.  Some of those resturants over cook frozen fish too.  That makes them mushy .....yechhh!

EZ

My wifes uncle use to live down by a river in Ohio called Will's Creek. There are big cats in their, 40 and 60 pounders, flat heads and blue. We would go down a couple times a yr and fish for them, for the fun of catching them. One time I caught a 43 pound flat head,  he told me we will keep that one for supper. He took it up the house and that evening he brought me out a plate of it, I said no thanks Jr. and he said just try it. So I took a small bite, wow it was really good. I ate about a 1/4 of the plate and started to think how bad the fish look when I caught it, then my stomack started to turn and I had enough. He boiled the meat in water and lightly brown it in butter. It was pretty good, but I haven ate it since.
EZ

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

Brian_Bailey

The best cat fish I ever et was at the Best Western in Clinton, Iowa.
My wife & I were on our way to the mecca of motorcycling, Sturgis, SD.
The restaurant at the BW had an all you can eat fish fry.
I asked the waitress what kind of fish was I eat'n after about the 3rd or 4th help'n. She said, "cat".
I never had anything like it before. Man, was it good!  
I think of that fish fry quite often as I reminisce about our trip.
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Tom

Another biker!!  woohoo woohoo wooho woohoo

That's my daffy duck rendition. :D

Oregon_Sawyer

My first time to have catfish was about 1973.  I was 19 and driving truck for Evergreen Helicopters.  They flew me to Arkansas for my first job.  We stayed at the Holiday Inn's.  It was common to have catfish on the menu.  I loved it. It was a little unnerving the first time as they served them with the heads on. 8) 8)

After Arkansas we moved to Georgia and were spraying power line right of ways with defoliate.  More about food.  The locals introduced us to restaurants that served food family style.  I had never had sweet ice tea.  They would have gallons of it along with fried chicken, fresh vegs that I didn't even recognize and corn on the cob, sweet corn bread and then watermelon.  We would all be seated at tables with other customers and you just passed the food around.

In about 1983 my wife and I went to a summer bible school in Tennessee and I tried to find that kind of restaurant but was unsuccessfully.

Arkansas:  We were working up in your area for the forest service.  We were spraying 2,4D and 2,4T on the forest to kill certain trees.  It was there that I drove on my first cable suspension bridge and drove thru my first water bridge.

I can't remember the town, but there is a cavern that you can go in.  I got to go with the first group of people being trained to be the tour guides.  In 1983 we went back with the family.  My kids were so small I had to carry them the whole way.

Back to catfish, Fried catfish and hush puppies.  Why don't they have them in Oregon? :D

Loren
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

Brian_Bailey

QuoteAnother biker!!  woohoo woohoo wooho woohoo

That's my daffy duck rendition. :D

Tom,  
I've been real careful using the phrase "biker" since my ordeal in Minden, Neb. My wife thought it was funny :D :D, I didn't! :D

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Frank_Pender

Ready fresh product availability, Loren.   :D  Just about the same reason we do not get to saw much Tulip Wood or Hickory. :-/
Frank Pender

ScottAR

Man I'm getting hungry!!  Catfish is a staple at the house.  Caught or farmed,  yummy.  

Oregon_Sawyer,  There are two cave systems I know of,  Blanchard Springs outside of Hot Springs. and a smaller one I don't remember the name of in Cave city.  

Blanchard Springs is a fantastic experience and one that should be on everyone's to do list come vacation time.  They've expanded the system since the early 80's and now offer a tour of a lower level that has the above ground entrance.  There is a third level that can't be accessed right now as it's still under water from the spring that built the whole thing.  Should be viewable in a few hundred years.  :)
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Oregon_Sawyer

Scott:  It was Blanchard Springs (Cavern) and it is a must see!!  It seems to me there was quite alot to see around there with some kind of local handmade trades and village.

Russelville is the town that I first worked out of.  It was a dry county but the Holiday Inn had a "club" that as a guest we could be members.  I was only 19 but they gave me a card.  I just assumed the drinking age was 18 in Arkansas.  Georgia was the same way.  It was latter that I found out I was supposed to be 21.

Loren
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

ScottAR

Oops my CRS is kicking in...  Blanchard Springs is in Mountain View...  They have the Arkansas Folk Center there also...  Show all the old ways of doing things, Very interesting.  Blacksmith shop was my favorite.  

Hot Springs has The Mid America Musem which is a must if one has kids or acts like one.  Could spend a day there easy.  The Mountain Tower is pretty neat and the old car musem was great.  There are many other things there as well, but those stood out.  
My different trips seem to run together.  Must be gettin old...
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

etat

Guess I'm a pretty big fan of catfish since I've got a stocked pond with a well fed bunch of em, nearly just outside my front door.  I like em filleted or whole if they ain't too big.  Trick in cookin is to get the grease or oil HOT before droppin em in.  Pretty simple recipe, rub em down with a little hot sauce, and drop em in a bag of corn meal and salt and pepper and shake em up good.  Deep fry em, not in no skillet.  If you don't fry em up thick they'll soak up grease.  Plain ole lard gives em the best flavor, but most times I use peanut oil.   Start gettin the grease Hot.  Simple way to tell when it's jest right.  Once the grease or oil starts gettin hot drop a match in it.  When it gets hot enough to light the match (it'll go right back out again) drop them battered up fish in.  Watch out for hot grease splashin on you.  After about a minute they'll float to the top.  Take em out and drop in the fries. In the meantime take whats left of that cornmill you wrapped em in and add some salt, pepper, onions, milk and such.  Let it set until you can dip it up in little balls.  Drop that in the grease and when they're all done it's time to eat.  Don't let nothin sit, eat while it's hot.  And work fast or you'll burn the grease. If they sit around everything'll start gettin soggy.  and not so good.  If that grease ain't hot enough everything will be greasy and not good.  Get it hot enough and nothing has time to soak it up.  Now if you catch up a bunch of catfish and you can't cook em right then keep em on ice until you skin em out.  When you freeze them put em in a empty milk carton or big freezer bag and cover em with water and freeze.  That way when you thaw em out and cook em they'll taste as fresh as when you caught em.  A catfish is a different kind of fish and I've tried em grilled, broiled, baked, and found either I didn't like em that way, or they come out not fitten to eat.  Cook em like I say, and eat em hot, , and I'll bet some of yall that didn't like em would change yer mind. A side order of cold slaw, and a slice of onion, mighty fine eatin.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

litewood

used to handfish the log piles but as I got older don't like to hang out with the cotten mouths so much anymore.

catfish is my favorite fish,years ago i used to snag alot of them it was legal then and it still is in three places for flatheads and spoonbills.
like the bluesbest,didn't have alot of luck this past summer with the ones I released into my pond over half died naturally it was the bigger ones small ones under 6 or 8 pound lived  the flathead lived except one and channel cats did well.(this is for grandkids and relatives who come up so they can catch a fish bigger than they ever have before.)had a spoonbill (paddlefish) about 65 lbs or more in pond and told grandkids it was a shark.it swam on top most of the time in circles and hung around the dock.
it caught itself up in the cattails and died,haven't got around to geting another in it yet.

I don't care for resturant catfish most places leave the red and grey crap on the meat and i always cut it all off down to white meat  presoak over night in  in salt and soda and that way u can see all the fat and trim it off.
 the flatheads in the summer  some of them especially if you handfish em taste rancid to me but my fatherin law broils them and likes it.I trim about a quarter or more inches where where there was skin mostly the belly.
we live by several large dams on the arkansas navagation system  usually do best in the winter for the big boys.I like it best when all the gates(flood) are open.

I have gotten quite afew small eels out of logs in the past from creek

cktate mentioned the best way to cook em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EZ

When my daughters was still living at home, I put two 20 lb flatheads in the bottom pond without them knowing it. The only thing that was in there was bluegill, small. They never did catch them flatheads but they sure did thin out the bluegills. Before I put them in there they would catch gills one after another, after the cats were in there for a month the girls would be down there for an hour and maybe catch one gill. I had to get them cats out of there.
EZ

Tom

EZ,
Did you read this?  How come Daddy's are always picking on their kids?  :D :D  I gave the whole neighborhood a run for there money. :D  click for my tale: A Catfish Story

etat

Oh yeah, there's quite a bit of varieties of catfish.  My favorite is channel cat.  Mud cat ain't a fittin to eat.  A big part of the taste depends on the water they come out of.  I had my pond dug over 20 feet deep, although that's a lot deeper than recommend.  I wanted the water to stay cool even in the summertime, and I didn't want it to dry up if we have a dry summer.  My pond is sorta on a hill without a lot of run off keeping it filled up.  That's another reason I dug it so deep.  Also I salt the bank and the edge of the water about twice a year to keep algie down.  Helps keep the water clear and purty.  
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Stan

I remember the first fish my youngest caught. It was an 8 lb cat. He must have been about 5 years old, and that cat nearly caught him. I rigged his pole to dangle a stinkbait about 2 ft under the surface, and was showing his older brother how to tie a palomar knot. Rob was intently watching us, when Waylone said to him, "you'd better get your pole". He was in the water up to his chest when he caught up with it, then turned with it over his shoulder and came back on shore, pulling that cat all the way. Quite a tug of war, good thing his drag was cinched down tight.  :D
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Thank You Sponsors!