iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jim Barry

Started by Tom, January 30, 2011, 06:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Remember Jim Barry?   He's the Nova Scotia Baker that made the American Flag cakes for downed passengers during the 9/11/21 debacle.   He is also Forestry Forum Member, Woodchuck Canuck.   I don't know why I keep thinking of him.  I guess I like his spirit. I've watched his businesses grow since he joined here.  The guy has spunk.

I've watched sawyers come and go from here.  Many, who are gone, have complained about too much work when the logs weren't placed right, too little money when the log wasn't big enough, aggravating customers who didn't know what was going on, etc.  Jim Barry, on the other hand, is the biggest little business I've seen.  He doesn't seem to back away from anything.  There is a lot of Internet business as he has sold woodworking, woodworking tools, given away plans, sold plans, and recommended equipment.  He still bakes, I think, and it doesn't surprise me to see him removing snow, splitting wood with a little splitter and just generally being busy.

He's the kind of entrepreneur you just can't help but admire.  I sure wish he were a more frequent member.  Maybe he hasn't the time.  :D

Back in the 1970's, I knew of and used a company for Odd jobs around our Computer Room. The name of the company was AFAB (anything for a buck).  The guy was right too.  If he didn't know how to do it, he got someone who did.  He was really a one-stop-shop.  I admired him too.  I think that Jim is of that ilk.

jimbarry

Someone say my name??  ;D

Thanks for that Tom. I'm still here. Don't get around this way much. Haven't changed much either ... why pamper with perfection  :D ::)  I still don't sweat the small stuff and still plugging away with woodworking plans trying to earn a buck or two. Still doing some baking at home, pics on my facebook pg. Do some twittering too. Doing some snow clearing, recent vids on youtube. And I agree with what you said, if I don't know how to do it, I get someone who can.

Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

tyb525

I always like hearing about someone that doesn't mind a little diversity in business 8)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

jimbarry

Wisdom says not to put all your eggs in one basket. Preparedness is always ready for opportunity. :)

customsawyer

Yea but what do you do with all these baskets? I tip my hat to ya. I admire anyone that goes out on a limb and is willing to take about anything on.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!