The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: $677.07  OR   $870.03  (Read 4658 times)

Offline Oregon_Sawyer

• Full Member x2
  • Sawing for the fun of it!
    • Share Post
Re: $677.07 OR $870.03
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2003, 04:57:14 PM »
A 6/4x6x10  would be considered and billed as 2x6x10.  On the west coast I don't very often have request for lumber by 4/4, 5/4, 6/4, 8/4.

Softwoods are almost always cut and sold as "1 or 2in".  

If I was to do an order for 5/4 I would scale it as such but would charge more per bd ft than I would 2"

Some one somewhere suggested the possibility of charging by actual saw cuts.  That was an interesting suggestion.  That would be more like what most of the molding shops charge as they charge by the lineal ft.

Hourly is definitely the easiest, but most of my customers want to know how much the lumber is costing them before I start cutting.

Loren
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

Offline RevCant

• So. Maryland Swinger
    • Share Post
Re: $677.07 OR $870.03
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2003, 05:44:18 PM »
Most of my work is on site.  Therefore, I do not have the advantages of a stationary set-up.  I charge by the hour.  I have for years and most customers seem content with this.  There is always the customer who wants to nickel and dime me.  Usually these are old guys who last paid $8/100 to have someone saw their lumber in 1950.  I tell them to go somewhere else.  
Someone who has a stationary set up can control most of the variables in sawing.  You know the log chain, the green chain, the offbearer.  Everything is set.  On site sawing looses contol of all these things.  I have spent one day sawing one log.  This precious walnut log had enough metal in it to build a house.  And then I've been able to saw 4000+ bdft in a long day because the customer had his act together.  In the end, I've come out ahead charging by the hour.  I give my customers an estimate of what I can do in a 7-8 hr day with normal logs and a normal set up.  I try to look at most of my jobs before I take them.  And in the end, most folk are happy.  All my business now is by word of mouth and repeat business.  If you are interested in staying in business over the long haul, let somebody else be the cheapest guy on the block.  
When I sell lumber, I sell by the nominal size.  When folk go to the local hardware store and order a 2x4 they expect to get something 1 1/2x3 1/2.  They pay for a 2x4.  Same with me.  I guess it boils down to region and competition.  
If cows could only tail....

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
English walnut trees      

Started by Left_Coast_Rich on Sawmills and Milling

6 Replies
Last post January 21, 2004, 03:50:53 PM
by D._Frederick
xx
PTO circle mill  Good or Bad  ?  

Started by WV_hillbilly on Sawmills and Milling

67 Replies
Last post January 08, 2005, 11:43:56 AM
by Buzz-sawyer