iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Soil supplements for raising Blueberrys

Started by Left Coast Chris, February 19, 2011, 06:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Left Coast Chris

Last year I planted 4 southern high bush Blueberrys in direct sun light and sandy loam soil.   The natural pH of the soil is around 6.0.   The Blueberrys like more acidic soil so I treated the soil with sulfur prior to planting.    The plants did not do well.   

I happened to saw a sugar pine for a friend so I saved the saw dust and mixed some in with the soil around each plant along with some acid loving plant fertilizer.  Im hoping they will like their soil better this year.

Anyone else raising Blueberrys in pH 6 soil and what do you add to the soil to get the ph down?
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

SwampDonkey

This thread might help ya Chris.

The information helped father's plants, they look a lot healthier now and are starting to produce.  :) 8)

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,30886.20.html
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Left Coast Chris

Thanks SD that is a help.

I PMed OntheSauk to see if he has some advice for plants already in the ground, in river bottom sandy loam with likely injury from planting too soon after adding sulfur. Im hoping the 4" of sugar pine sawdust and azelea acid loving plant fertilizer I just mulched in will do the trick.  Otherwise I have one out of four plants dead and the others stunted and may need to pull them and start over. :(
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Thank You Sponsors!