iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

suggestions please?

Started by 1270d, February 26, 2011, 07:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1270d

Last fall I was cutting a sale here in the UP, when i came across two large seemingly rotten logs.  As they were in my way i batted them with the head of my processor.  WHAM.  sound as all get out.  After further inspection, it seems they were in a depression that i assume was untill recently a pond. 

I found the stump, which now has a 14 inch dbh yellow birch growing out of it.    There are the remains of an old logging camp nearby.     

so now i have these old logs  (with landowner permission) that i will probably have sawn (sp) this spring.    I would like to make a nice dining room table first  but.....    I do not know how to identify the species of the wood, since it is old and stained.  (reddish) i would guess its been cut down for 70 - 90 yrs.  the dimensions are 24 " x 12' and 26"x 14'   

I was thinking of having them slabbed at two inch full width as this seemed a very versatile size   

the table would be roughly 4' x 7'

thanks a bunch

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

Close-up pictures of the growth rings will help, showing a freshly sliced area, preferably with a razor blade.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

red oaks lumber

if the stump is growing a yellow birch, and the unknown log is reddish in color... my very un professional guess is yellow birch
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

1270d

sorry i have no pix  maybe once all the snow goes.    I thought it was pine or hemlock but im not well versed in this area.   I believe birch will sprout on an old stump like this though no matter what the specie

Coon

On the land the we own I can find several cases where white birch are growing through old rotten spruce stumps.  Moreso than not the patches that we clearcut spruce off 10-15 years ago are comin back with white birch and now a bunch of little spruce seem to be growing  and scattered beneath the birch. In a few years we will have to remove the birch to let the spruce through.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

wannasaw

My buddy built a house and wanted to build a special cofee table so broke out 2 mohahgeny boards that had been given him years earlier that were originally sawn 2-1/4 thick. After resawing in half, planing and sanding we reflected how smart the original owner was not to saw 2" thick. My 2 cent and I dont know doodle about species as my customers teach me more than I teach them. But I know all wood behaveth differently.MJ
LT28 70something Int'l Backhoe loader  Kubota L285, Husky 55, F-250 7.3, 12'x6' single axle trailer, Kubota RTV900 w/remote hyd. Iron will...

Thank You Sponsors!