The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: "Gas-less" logging tools for Grizzly Adams  (Read 7685 times)

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there, done that........and still learning"
    • Share Post
Re: "Gas-less" logging tools for Grizzly Adams
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2011, 04:26:04 PM »
We had a TV series here in Canada called "Pioneer Quest" back in 2000. A modern day couple was picked to break land, build a homestead and live off the land as was done in 1875 here in Manitoba. If they survived for one year they would be paid $100,000 plus  expenses paid for.Minus -50F in winter [ coldest Manitoba winter in 120 yrs],+110 F in summer and mosquitoes.

The History Channel made 9 episodes and I believe they can be downloaded on Net Flix etc.

The couple survived [barely] and have a website www.pioneerquest.ca

Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Offline jaythecelt

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2011, 10:04:52 PM »
Check out the story "Alone in the Wilderness". The story of Richard Preneke. There are the i'net stories, but get the disc. Very informative. And very impressive.

:-[ :-[uh ... yea. mrcaptainbob already pointed that one out :-[ :-[

Sorry, guess I had a blond moment there. :-[  That's the guy - pretty amazing story. 

Leaving the grid and civilization behind sometimes sounds like a great idea, but the people who lived like that 100+ years ago were much different than we are today.  Most couldn't tell you the first thing about an internal combustion engine, but they understood things about the natural world that would be as foreign to us today.  I just don't think we have the skill set to survive without electricity and at least some powered devices.  Having the right tools is one thing, but knowing what to do and when is something different.

-J

Poulan 2750
Stihl MS390
Stihl MS650

Offline 01crewcab

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2011, 04:50:55 PM »
A good lawyer for when your wife(who isn't sold on the idea) tells you to shove it. ::)
2100(2),480, 281, 181,372XPW, 460,435,350,61(4),51-Huskys
49SP, 630Super(3),670's(4), 830, 920, 930 Jonsered's
S-XL925 Homelite
SP125C, 790, 250, 1010 Macs
27Ton Troybilt Splitter
NRA Life Endowment Member
Viet Nam Vet

Offline mrcaptainbob

• I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2011, 11:26:05 PM »
I was so impressed with that story of Preneke. The guy was a real artist with the wilderness. And a very fine presentation on it, too! The biggest let down to me was at the end when the story finished about his living there for over thirty years and the story being finished by his.....wife and kids. If mine couldn't make the change with me...the change wouldn't get made. Except for that, it was most impressive.

Offline jaythecelt

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2011, 12:21:31 AM »
If mine couldn't make the change with me...the change wouldn't get made.

I'm with you there!  I am lucky enough to have a wife that will put up with country living in Pennsylvania.

The thing that impressed me most was his skill with a handsaw.  He was resawing straight boards with a handsaw by eye.  And he was fast - he must have been really good at sharpening also.  I think I might try to get or rent that video to watch it again.
-J

Poulan 2750
Stihl MS390
Stihl MS650

Offline 01crewcab

• Share Post
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 10:24:04 AM »
I'm sorry, but I have watched that show(story) several times on TV, plus have his books and videos. He was not married. The only mention of family was his brother.
2100(2),480, 281, 181,372XPW, 460,435,350,61(4),51-Huskys
49SP, 630Super(3),670's(4), 830, 920, 930 Jonsered's
S-XL925 Homelite
SP125C, 790, 250, 1010 Macs
27Ton Troybilt Splitter
NRA Life Endowment Member
Viet Nam Vet

Offline john_boylan

• Share Post
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »
Add a fro, adze, and bent handle broadaxe to your list and I think you'll have most of what the better equipped pioneer ancestors had at their disposal.  Growing food and making servicable clothing would be a whole nother challenge.
009L (laid up), 029 (junk), 350, 346xp, 394xp
Shotgun, a Rifle, and a Four-Wheel Drive
Kubota L175, Gravely C-8 (we be busting brush now!)

Offline mrcaptainbob

• Share Post
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2011, 12:27:14 AM »
You are right, 01crewcab. I stand corrected. I watched the story again and was amazed at me. I can't figure WHERE I got it that he had a wife and daughters! I'd've stood on Bibles and sworn to God that that was stated at the end and that that's who donated his cabin!  :-\ Well, here's a small bio of him and his talents: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Proenneke. I recommend watching this talented guy at work. Very impressive.

Offline Bro. Noble

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2011, 11:01:39 AM »
I read the book 'Alone in the Wilderness' and also DickP.'s diary and found them very interesting also.  A story that wasn't told and that is still going on is about the Alsworth family.  Alsworth was the old man that flew Dick P. up to his cabin site and flew in to deliver supplies and to check on him.  He flew in from Port Alsworth on Lake Clark and was a real pioneer and adventurer in that area.  His son and grandson still run Lake Clark air and are still taking care of visitors.  They have regular flights from Ancorage to the Lake Clark area as well as taking people on guided fishing and hunting trips and sightseeing trips including Dick P.'s cabin.  One thing they do that isn't as well known is the rescue of downed flyers and the salvage of their aircraft.  Somestimes they can repair a downed aircraft on site and fly it out.  Their pilots are above average in skill and courage.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Offline mrcaptainbob

• Share Post
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2011, 12:24:54 AM »
This sure is an interesting thread.

Offline mad murdock

• Senior Member x2
  • The woods is the best "office"!
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2011, 05:46:09 PM »
Hi guys. I am brand new here, but was hoping you guys could help me in my thought process. My questions revolve around "early chainsaws" that ran on muscle instead of gas, so I guessed this might be the place to post.

I have a dream of one day going Grizzly Adams on the world... but with the wife and daughter. They may not share the same dream, but that is a different story.

If you guys were going "back to the basics," and you had to invest a few hundred dollars in "logging tools" for long term sustainability in the backwoods (no gas), which ones would they be? Assume that your needs were mostly for firewood and some very basic carpentry. I have a shop full of tools to work with processed lumber, but nothing to work with from scratch. I started my list but have not gotten very far:

- Fiskars 7884 X27 36" Splitting Axe
    - Maybe a felling axe?
    - Axe sharpener
    - 5-6' one man/ two man crosscut bucking saw for when friends Mad Jack or Nacoma come over (tooth style to look for? brands? easiest to maintain for beginner? ebay or new? lots of questions here)
    - Long jointer
    - Sharpening files

I am not married to this list nor is it complete, but I was hoping to start a dialogue with you guys. Any thoughts? Thanks for reading!

Simonds Internationalhttp://simondsinternational.com/ makes any file for sharpening anything, including all types and flavors of saw files.
http://www.crosscutsaw.com/ manufacturer of new "old" crosscut saws, saw maintenance tools etc. and other quality tools like axes, froe, adz, timber carriers, peavey, etc. etc. 

Logrite(sponsor of the Forestry Forum) has a very good line up of quality tools as well, just may not have the breadth of selection that the crosscut saw co. has, when it comes to old style tools.  The timber framers forum on here is a great place to look for old tools as well.
JD AMT 626, Turbosawmill M6 Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Offline ickirby

• Share Post
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2011, 12:26:25 PM »
...learn how to hang an axe with a wooden handle and maintain it properly.

USFS has a couple good publications on the topic.

Here is the link that you want all about axes.

Offline mad murdock

• Senior Member x2
  • The woods is the best "office"!
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2011, 02:37:46 PM »
Thanks for posting that link ickirby, that is a great resource.
JD AMT 626, Turbosawmill M6 Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter