iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Real food for type 2 diabetics.

Started by Bibbyman, March 21, 2011, 04:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

I've suspected it for a few years now.  Seemed every time I took a load off to West Plains I'd feel bad for a day or two after.  I got to thinking about it and I had gotten into the habit of filling up the tank just north of West Plains on my return trip.  A 74 oz fountain drink only cost 49 cents.  I wouldn't nearly drink it all on the trip back but would work on it more in the evening. 

I got to noticing too when I'd have that big piece of apple pie and ice cream I'd feel bad the next day.  I got a home blood glucose checker and sure enough,  when I had indulged in some massive amount of something sweet,  my blood glucose the next morning would be up.  So for at least the past year I have sworn off sweets. (With some success.)

I was doing pretty good until mid-February.   I may never know why but my blood glucose shot up out of sight for about a week.  I won't go into the misery I went through but I lost 20 pounds that week through dehydration.  I finally got some medical help and test showed that my overall average blood glucose had been too high.  I'm now on one of the least troubling medication to keep my glucose levels in check.  With this medication, diet, exercise (I get plenty of that anyway.) and maintain or lose some more weight, I should be fine.

It's the diet part that's been a struggle.  I knew about pure sweet things and have been avoiding them.  But I didn't figure on carbohydrates and how much I liked them.  Mary has armed herself with a small library of cookbooks for diabetics.  She's put everyone on the same diet. Trouble is, there is scant little in them that look appetizing to me – like a snack of green spinach and strawberries.  Yuck!

But we're learning to count carbs and calories to come up with a total for the day.  But then there is what kind of carbs.  Some are better than others.

We can keep control of the diet when eating at home.  Eating out is more of a challenge.  But most restaurants and even fast food places have choices.  We eat at a restaurant last Saturday.  I ordered the fish sandwich.  It came with fries and a choice of salad or soup.  I took the salad and traded my fries for green beans.  I left the bun on the plate and just eat the fish.  I didn't remove the breading.  That would be going too far!

One of the biggest challenges is with snacks.  Most every tasty snack is filled with carbs, fat and salt.  That's what makes them good.   Cashews have been my snack of choice for some time.  But they contain a lot of fat.

Anyone got a suggestion for a good snack food for a type-2 diabetic?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Roxie

Hickory Smoked Beef Jerky Tender Tips are one carbohydrate and 50 calories for a one ounce serving.  That one ounce is a lot of chewing pleasure. 

Cashews are the highest carbohydrate nuts and walnuts, pecans, macadamia and Brazil nuts are lower. 
Say when

sprucebunny

Cheese. There are so many kinds. If you are looking for something crunchy, microwave some nice cheddar for a minute or so ( choose the plate carefully).
Sour pickles.
Pepperoni.

I keep walnuts and almonds in my car to eat instead of other temptations.

Once you stop eating many carbs, you may want to add more fat to your diet.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Ianab

Know Exactly what you are going through....

My "go to" snack is "Trail Mix". Nuts and dried fruit. Raisins, apricots, nuts, dates etc, and even a small ration of dark chocolate. Get the good stuff, not the crappy "chocolate flavoured sugar". You can buy ingredients separately and mix it up to your taste. Easy enough to carry around a plastic tub of this mix so you can have that snack when needed.

It is "concentrated" food though, and does have some sugar and carbs, but even though you are diabetic, you still need those carbs. You just have to ration them out over the day, and not stuff yourself with pie at the end of the day  ;)  Your body is still needing and using sugar, it just can't regulate the amount in your blood properly.

For meals, my dietician give me these "hand" guidelines.

Look at the palm of your hand.
Then get one palm size serve of protein. Lean meat, chicken, fish etc.
One palm of carbs, potatoes, pasta, rice etc.
Then Two palms of veges to fill you up and get your vitamins and minerals.

Try and do that for each meal.
The palm thing also accounts for your size, a bigger person with a big palm naturally needs to eat a bit more, so gets a bigger portion.
Things to avoid, anything just loaded up with empty carbs and fat.

We haven't really changed our diet much, but just more adjusted recipes.

Spaghetti Bol gets more onions, tomatoes and peppers, and less pasta.
Stir fry gets more veges and less rice.
Herbs and spices count as a vege, so it can still taste good  ;)

For Takeways, Subway gets my dieticians approval. Sure it has bread, but you do needs some carbs, and at least you can load it up with salad and get something that's close to a balanced meal.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Burlkraft

I don't know Bibby........

Ya can't beat a good berry  food6 food6
Why not just 1 pain free day?

thecfarm

Listen to Ianab,dietician. I know you don't like them doctors,but they can set you up with a dietician so you can eat right. They know what is good for you and will tell you how you can eat with what you like and don't like.You need to keep this under control,as you are trying to do.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bibbyman

Good to see I'm not alone.  I didn't think I was.

You mentioned Subway.  Just the other day I seen their ad came up on one of the weather web sites.  It said something about low fat sandwiches.   I clicked on it and did some reading.  I've not been into a Subway even thought they are everywhere.   There are two in our little town and another out at the highway intersection about 7 miles out.  I read the other day that they had replaced MacDonald's as the biggest franchise chain.   

We did our shopping last Sunday morning.  We were at the Super Wal-Mart in a town just north of us.  It was about noon when we got done. It has a Subway right in it so we got a foot-long and took it home and divided it.  It was ok.  It had very little meat on this model.  More like a salad on a bun.

Mary read on the napkin they gave her that Subway was owned by a doctor's association.  Mary has printed off all the nutrition info from their web site. 

One thing that annoyed Mary about Subway was that you couldn't just go in and say you wanted a #5 deal.  You had to tell them what sandwich and then run down 20 questions on how you wanted it built and toasted or warmed.

Mary has got cranked up making whole grain breads.  Trouble is, they're so heavy that a small piece goes a long way.  Too,  we've found that home-made bread does not keep nearly as long as any store bought bread.  I'm guessing it lacks the preservatives.

Mary has also been making chili and hardy soups with very little salt.  I looked at canned chili but it contains so much salt.  Her homemade chili and soup goes over well.
Sawing since '94

thecfarm

I prefer subways to others. This way I can have more onions and less tomatoes. I just tell them to put another handful of oinons and peppers. Other sandwich shop will change me more to put on extra onions even though I don't want the tomatoes.My wife makes bread too. Same way here too Bibbyman.She makes me 2 sandwiches plus a meal and wonder why I tell her she is trying to kill me. She always says you always eat thet much. But that's with bread you can just about see through it. Our bread does not keep as well either. My wife cuts back alot on the salt too.I just don't like alot of salt on anything.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Bib, I'm not Diabetic but it's in the family. I don't eat a high fat diet and I don't really eat a lot of bread. But that bought stuff isn't fit to eat and will last on the cupboard for 2 weeks before it even molds. I am making my own now and I make whole wheat with a little buckwheat and flax and honey in it. It's also got regular unbleached flour, more than the whole wheat portion. But, I'll tell ya it don't mold either, but because it's down right good stuff. :D :D I usually make a couple loaves and freeze one. I mostly make bread for a sandwich or soup. I don't eat bread with a full dinner type meal. You have to be careful with the bread intake to if your diabetic. I wish I could find larger pans.  Got to admit though, ain't really looked much. ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jasperfield

Subway has more locations, but McDonalds is yet way ahead with revenue, sales, profit, & market capitalization.

Ianab

QuoteOne thing that annoyed Mary about Subway was that you couldn't just go in and say you wanted a #5 deal.  You had to tell them what sandwich and then run down 20 questions on how you wanted it built and toasted or warmed.

:D It is a bit of an interrogation the first few times isn't it  :D

Once you work out what your favourite is you can pre-empt them and rattle off your order. You still probably forget the "salt and pepper?" of course...

The thing is, at least you get the sandwich YOU want. Low salt? don't add any. Allergic to tomatoes? Don't get any, but ask for double onions ect.

McDs may be ahead on sales and profit, but they come a distant 2nd on nutrition.  :-\

The home made Chilli is another good one, adjust the recipe for more tomatoes and onions, and less salt, and you can get into the right area on the dietary guidelines, and still have a good meal. One measure of meat, one measure of beans, 2 measures of veges and spice it up to suit your tastes. We have cooked with very little salt for years, once you get used to it, you don't miss it.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

I use very little salt in cooking as well. A 1 kg box lasts and lasts around here. ;D Now, some spice mixes have salt in them. But I use them as a salt substitute so just a dash, like celery salt for instance.

Bibbyman

Hopefully,  my diabetes will only be a minor inconvenience.   I had already adopted some major diet changes, lost weight, learned to use the blood glucose meter and did some research.  My blood test for all my liver functions came back within range or excellent.   The doctor seemed to think that my level of diabetes would be easy to control with a small amount of medication.  I asked him for instructions on when and how often to take my blood glucose count.  He seemed to think it would not be necessary but said I could do it whenever I "felt bad", or was curious as to what it was, but not to be obsessed with monitoring it.  I would assume I will go in for A1c tests every now and then to see where my overall glucose level is.

I asked the doctor if I lost another 20 lbs (that would put my BMI in the right bracket) and kept to a strict diet,  would it be possible to get off the medication.  He thought on it a bit and he replied, probably not.  He based that on that I'd already lost weight and had already adopted some diet constraints, and I was already getting plenty of exercise and still my blood glucose level was above normal.  

Our Sunday morning breakfast is often chipped (dried) beef on toast. I didn't want to give that up so in the early hours of Sunday morning I got up and did some homework.    I got out the jar of dried beef.  It was good food.  The whole jar was only 160 calories with only 4 carbs and nearly 0 fat.  The skimmed milk, margarine and flower added a bit.  But the rye bread added the most.  I totaled it all up and divided by two as Mary and I would split the batch.  I think the totals were 543 calories and 57 carbs per half batch.  I can easily clean up two plates full but I stopped at one so my total intake was a good bit less.   We ended up with enough left over for me to eat another plate full for lunch today.

The big diet offender was the salt content of the dried beef.  I think one serving was half the daily allowance.  But the jar instructed that if used in a recipe to soak and rinse the slices in water first.  I would assume to remove some of the salt.

Mary got up and out to the kitchen before I did and had seen my notes and the jar of dried beef setting out.  She already had a batch made.  She mentioned the high salt content and I mentioned the directions to soak and rinse first.  So maybe next Sunday?

Sawing since '94

Kansas

The sweet onion chicken teryaki at Subway is pretty good. And you can get wraps now that I would guess would be a lot lower in carbs. One thing about the chain stores, all you have to do is Google their websites and you can pull up their nutrition sections and get the lowdown. There are actually some healthy choices at McDs.

SwampDonkey

Your diabetes will also influence your blood pressure. It does dad's and some days you will wonder how and why.

I had an uncle (through marriage to an aunt) who lost both legs to diabetes. He went down hill when my aunt died and didn't look after himself. So my cousins lost both parents way before their time.

My grandfather had it and thought he could beat it, guess which won?

Roxie

I'm type II also and I take no medication, but I also keep my carbohydrate intake between 30 and 40 per day.  My A1c is consistently 6 and my highest blood glucose occurs in the morning and is 113. 

The carbs that I do eat come from vegetables, nuts, berries, and dairy products.  The only artificial sweetener that I use is Stevia. 

My favorite recipe website is:  http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html

Eating out is no problem for me because most restaurants serve a steak and tossed salad (with vinegar and olive oil) or even a cheese burger without a roll.  Once you give up bread, you'll find that it was just distracting from the taste of the burger or chicken salad. 

Say when

Bibbyman

Giving up bread is the toughest thing - that right next to potatoes.  I use to say I had to have bread with every meal - except with biscuits and gravy.

I can give up white "Wonder" type bread real easy.  I like dark rye and other whole grain breads.

I guess most beans are ok on the diet.  And I love beans.  But I like my ham and beans with cornbread, fried 'taters and a big slice of onion.

I've been hungy since 9:30.  Time to eat!
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

Roxie,  I'm impressed.   It must take a lot of discipline to manage your diet that stringent.

My A1c was something over 9.  But that include more than a week where I was hitting readings in the upper 300s to over 500!  And a couple of weeks where it was in the mid-250 range and erratic.   My average for the past week with medication and improved diet would be in the 150-160 range.  Still a ways from "good" but a lot better than it was.

Thanks for the web site.  I looked at a few recipes.  The country biscuits looked good.  I looked through the fish dishes and didn't find any with catfish – my fish of choice.
Sawing since '94

Roxie

The thought process that helps me the most is to think of all the foods that I can have, and not to think of foods that I can't eat.  Having first hand experience with people that have lost legs and ultimately their lives to this disease, I ask myself if I want that piece of bread (or potatoes) or if I want to keep my legs. 

Another angle that I take is not to think that I'll never have cornbread or pizza again, but that I'll limit those forms of foods to once every two weeks, and then only on a day when I completely limit the rest of my diet to very low carbohydrate foods. 

You'll notice in the recipe website that I posted that Linda rates her recipes with stars from one to five.  Her five star recipes are wonderful and to give you an example, I love the taste of roast chicken with stuffing and with this recipe (using Bob Evans Sage Sausage), you'll get that sense of comfort from the dish:
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/mushroom_chicken-sausage_casserole.html

I've made it without the mushrooms, and didn't miss them. 

I started this program on 1/1/2011, and I've lost 30 pounds.  My cholesterol went from 220 to 170 and my current blood pressure is 107/70.  Like I said, I didn't give up bread, potatoes, or pie...I'm just postponing them for rare occasions. 

:)
Say when

Roxie

By the way, since catfish is probably not something you eat daily, I'm sure the recipe that you are using to prepare it would be fine served with coleslaw (no sugar in the dressing) and roast green beans instead of french fries.  I don't quibble about breading on my fish.

Say when

Chris Burchfield

Bibby, my wife and mother have type II.  I do most of the cooking and have it underway or about finished when she gets home from work.  We also use the Splenda brand and Apriva/Kroger's brand sweetener.  On occasions I'll cook down some dried peaches or apples and make fried pies.  She will sometime make sandwiches using the Wonder Smart White.  Two slices 100 calories 10 from fat. 0 cholesterol, 200 mg sodium, 4 g sugar.  Mini carrots, apples and celery are good for crunchies.

My family likes the Paula Dean Beef Vegetable Soup.  I use sirloin or london broil instead of the beef short ribs.  Much more lean.  I've served it with cornbread made using Apriva or a french crusty style white.  I'm with you on the dried beef and gravy, I just have to put it on scratch made buttermilk cat head biscuits.  Once every three to four months.

We use a good bit of minced garlic for seasoning not just because we like the flavor.  Stringbeans with onion and garlic.  We don't seem to use as much salt for flavoring.  Garlic is suppose to be good for your heart, vampires cross over to the other side of the street when passing our house.   :D :D :D
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Patty

8)   Thirty pounds!!! Holy buckets Roxie you are a rock star!  8)

We have been on a serious exercise regime, and I am losing inches, but I have not lost one ounce of poundage.  Depresses the heck out of me.  I will take the loss in inches any old day though !.  ;) Swim season is fast approaching.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Roxie

Maybe I'll be ready for the 2012 swim season!   :D
Say when

Bibbyman

Quote from: Roxie on March 23, 2011, 06:50:23 PM
Maybe I'll be ready for the 2012 swim season!   :D

Me too.  But I'm going to have to learn how to swim first.   ;D

(Do those speedos come in a bib style?)  ::)
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!