The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Arborwear

Author Topic: Possom huntin  (Read 1889 times)

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
  • A goal without a plan is just a dream. Elbert H.
    • Share Post
Possom huntin
« on: April 16, 2011, 08:52:56 PM »
I don't ever rember going hunting just for Possoms, but when I was a young lad I had a shepard dog that would tree one if it ever came around and you would either go get the critter or you would not get any sleep....In recent years I have bagged several because my bulldog will raise a rucus when the Possoms get in the porch swing to eat the cat food...but this morning Possom hunting took on a whole new meaning....we have been having some really bad weather...so my bride insists on keeping the kitchen window open just a bit...Don't want the house to blow up if a tornado creates a vacum...( I don't buy into that but an open window is not worth the trouble to debate with her)...any way  the kithchen window is open about 1/4 .....the front door latch is a bit iffy...it needs to be dead bolted....to make sure its shut.....about 6 oclock this morning a good breeze opens the door..Deb gets up and when she gets in the living room...Banjo has dispatched a fairly large Possom in the middle of the floor....Took him about 4 or 5 seconds....He must have been on the porch looking for the cat food and thought the open door policy was for him....bad move on his part...Tim
Cooks AC 36--Prentice 210C--Morgan edger--Kubota M7040 with loader--Case 580 K with extendahoe--Case 850C dozer--Int 1700 series twin cylinder dump/log/flatbed truck--logging arch--2 Logrite mill sp.--Cat claw sharpening system--And a bulldog to make sure it all stays here.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
Re: Possom huntin
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 10:16:35 PM »
The only possums that I hunt are on my porch too.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 09:11:18 AM »
That wasn't his first time on the porch, just his last.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline treefarmer87

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 04:52:02 PM »
when i was younger i used to catch them all the time in the yard at night trying to get my mothers guineas
1990 Ford F-800
1974 Ford L 9000 Self Loader
1994 John Deere 648E
1985 Franklin 170 Forwarder
John Deere 440 B
1980 Treefarmer C6D grapple
Prentice 210
FEC 1000 slasher
FEC 1550 slasher
Danzco Delimber
Sthil 660
Jonsered 2172
Jonsered 2255

Offline northwoods1

• Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 06:12:19 PM »
.Banjo has dispatched a fairly large Possom in the middle of the floor....Took him about 4 or 5 seconds....He must have been on the porch looking for the cat food and thought the open door policy was for him....bad move on his part...Tim

Good dog!  :D A possum wouldn't make it very far through my door I got 2 dogs laying right there inside it just wishing one would try. Not fun this time of year though if I let the dogs out at night I always have to go out and make sure the coast is clear from bears, I normally hollar a bit to give them a running start before I let the dogs loose so they just bark a bit then come right back. Bears are always prowling around right near the house this time of year they are hungry, not unlike possums I suppose.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 08:43:42 PM »
Never had a porch bear  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Norm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 07:42:55 AM »
I hate possums, the only pest I dislike more is skunks. This time of year they are always getting in our sheds so I keep the .22 handy for when one shows up.

I was over at my buddies place last week and he had a dead one outside his shed. I didn't give it much thought until a couple of days later it was still there and not one bit better smelling. When I asked him about it he said he was going to donate it to the eagles in Decorah.  :D

Offline submarinesailor

• Senior Member x2
  • LT15 and a wife of 45 yrs
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 08:02:15 AM »
Never had a porch bear?

Yes, I have.

Not very good pictures. But, it was on the porch!  This is the one I tried to run off with a boat horn.  It looked at me while I was blowing the horn at it and then laid back down for a nap.  Will it had better places to be when the 44 mag cleared its head by about 4 inches.

Bruce

Offline Norm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 12:11:49 PM »
Well there's your problem, it's sighted in 4"s high.  :D

Offline submarinesailor

• Senior Member x2
  • LT15 and a wife of 45 yrs
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 01:15:14 PM »
Momma and the kids were watching ----------thinking I was going to be eaten by the bear.  44 hollow points at 240 grains.......... I don't think so.  smiley_thumbsup

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

wireless
bear huntin

Started by Pudge on The Outdoor Board

19 Replies
Last post September 24, 2010, 04:41:07 PM
by Pudge
xx
I ain't Huntin in Wisconsin any more!

Started by Timber_Framer on General Board

13 Replies
Last post December 20, 2004, 12:43:24 PM
by MULE_MAN