iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to shade southern windows

Started by Brad_bb, April 27, 2011, 04:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I need to shade my southern facing picture windows in the farmhouse to reduce the heating from those windows all summer.  I have looked into the angle of the sun and if I use 45 degrees for the angle of the sun relative to the ground when facing south, well that would imply an awning as long as the window is tall (57 inches).  If I go up to 60 degrees which would cover most of the window for most of the summer, that would put the awning at a 32 inch overhang.

I've also seen vertical retractable screens that supposedly block the heating uV rays, but they don't say how much. 

Anyone have any experience?   I'm looking to keep cost down, and it's brick on the outside so I don't want to have to install a ton of hardware in the brick.  Thanks.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Chuck White

Plant some shade trees.

Something that doesn't get HUGE, but gets a nice canopy on it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ely

most southern windows i see around here has tin foil over them, thats southern as in from oklahoma down into texas.... im sure a few even in arkansas. ;D

Coon

We even use the tinfoil this far north...... now how redneck is that.  ;) 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Raider Bill

UV tint maybe? That's what we use in FL
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Brad_bb

I can't plant shade trees as my garden is at the base of the wall and runs the length of the house about 6 feet wide.

I guess tint is an option, though they are older windows and I'm a bit afraid of getting air bubbles/delamination of the tint.

I was hoping someone may have used an outdoor solar screen of some kind who could tell me how well they work.  At first I was thinking of awnings, but if the solar screens work well, it may be a less costly option.

The central air compressor went out 3 years ago.  I replaced it and then the evaporator unit went out the following spring.  I decided it that it just was not worth it to replace it when I plan on building my new home in a few years.  I've gotten by with opening windows, and using the attic fan to draw in cooler air at night.  This works except in the middle of the summer when It's just hot, humid and miserable.  Luckily it hasn't been that bad the last 2 years.  I have a window AC unit in my bedroom.  I'm hoping the solar screens could cut down the heading of the house here in the summer.  I'm also thinking of growing some clematis vines on the brick wall(all on south side).

Sprucegum

Heavy drapes on the inside help insulate the room and you can still open them in the evening to look out.

jamesamd

Custom fit some lattice,made of PVC strips in the window frames,to reduce the amount of solar gain,You want.Or buy some perforated metal for the windows,they will list the amount of open space,depending on the hole size.Cut down the input and still see outside.
Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Chris Burchfield

Over the last few years, in the Memphis area Pergolas have been utilized on large expensive homes.  As my home faces South. I've been considering this.  We have a one story.  By design 2Xs run away from the face resting on timbers.  Problem is high noon would allow direct sun so it would not be a cure all.  Window awnings were popular in the late 50s early 60s, I don't think they would work on our home.  These are shutters I made and hung this last year to be functional with hinges.  I replaced the Masonite and all wood of the trim with Hardy Board.  Only exception was brick moulding around the doors.  We've been it the home since 1983 and it was beginning to show it's age.  The functional shutters are kinda like makeup on a woman, much nicer than those plastic once.

A Pergola may work best for us say out of cedar and running the length to cover the four windows and front door.  Wouldn't have to extend but say three to four feet max.

Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Magicman

Those rollup bamboo shades work really well and also add a decorative touch.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Just Me

I don't think you need to be at 45 degrees, that would be the angle of the sun in the winter, a time when you can use the solar gain to  your advantage. In the peak of summer is when you want the protection, so find out what is the suns angle at that period. You will be able to get all the information on sun angles in your area you need from a solar heating site, just use it in reverse.

On my own house I am building an overhang two foot out on the Southern gable just over the windows which will keep a majority of the rays out of my house in the peak, but still allow the solar gain the rest of the year. We only have a few A/C days up here, so cooling is secondary to heating.

Larry

Brad_bb

I did look up the angles for the summer months and it goes from about 38 to 60 depending on the month and time of day.  It changes from month to month too.  I have a garage and some trees to the SE that will block the early morning sun.  So I looked at angles starting at about 10am.  Looking at what would give me the best average protection throughout the day was close to 45.  I mean, you could go 60 to completely block out, but probably not necessary.  Yes I understand that you prefer not blocking solar gain in winter.  I'm leaning towards experimenting with some film on one part and solar screen on another and see If I can notice a difference.

Just Me

Put the mirror stuff on! Like we all had on our custom vans in the seventies....

Then see if the cops pull your house over to see what you are doing. :D

Larry

LOGDOG

Brad,

My last office had floor to ceiling windows the length of the office (about 45' x 17') with the longest wall facing South and the shorter, entry wall facing straight West. I leased it during the month of February. Wasn't a problem. I thought, "All this light will be great" .... and then summer came! Inferno ..... So with the assistance of my wife, we went to JC Penney and got some "thermal panels" that hang on a curtain rod to cover the entire length of the window. I used a double curtain rod so that I could hand my full length drapes in front of the thermal panels (because the thermal panels were white). Worked like a charm. My office stayed cooler than the other suites that only had the narrow, West facing wall. The thermal panels are inexpensive. I believe you can get them in different finishes if you want as well. I ended up with white in my case because of the very tall height of the floor to ceiling windows. Shorter windows would be a snap though. Lots more choices. If you're concerned about the appearance of the thermal panels from outside the house looking in, you may want to go with some that have a finish on them or print vs. a utilitarian finish. Or you could use another curtain rod and hand a drape in front of and in back of the thermal panel. For that matter you could have a seamstress sew the thermals to another drape of your choosing. Believe me, I didn't know the first thing about drapes until I had that sun beating through my windows and my air conditioner couldn't keep up. I was a quick study.

The thing about this option is that it's immediate. No trees or bushes to grow. No tint to put on the window. If you decide you want some light, open the drapes. You don't? Close them. Tired of the look? Swap them out. In the winter you may want the South facing windows to let light and heat in. I'm not sure. At least with drapes you have the option without major changes required.

Brad_bb

I've got blinds on the inside currently, but I still think a lot of heat gets in.  They are not new modern windows for sure, The main picture window has a wood frame, and contains a glass that appears to be made of of two panes of glass with an airspace in between, with an aluminum type band separating them.  Whether this is sealed with inert gas I do not know.  It doesn't get condensation though.  In addition to that, there is another couple of inches to the outside and then another glass pane divided into 3 sections which I'd call storm windows. 
  So the thermal panel is something on the inside.  I would assume it's job is to reflect heat or rather rays as they come in and reflect them back out.  My thought process was to stop them before they got that far.  Like applying a film to the storm windows.  Hmmmm, just not sure now which way to go.  Maybe I'll stop at Penny's and look into that product. 

LOGDOG

Yep,

You can go online too. But if you want to lay your hands on it then a quick trip to Penneys will fix you up. Just tell one of the ladies in the dept what you're up against and that you wanted to look at some thermal panel/drape combinations. What are the dimensions of your windows?

Thank You Sponsors!