iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rough cut milliing.

Started by SwampDonkey, May 04, 2011, 02:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Today was too wet and cold for the woods, so attention was focused on this little job. Well last fall a windstorm took down a white spruce in the back yard. The but blew out, but the tree was sound after a short distance up the trunk. So, I had talked about milling it out into cants. Well one cant anyway, an 8 x 8" by 16 foot cant. I had lopped it off last fall around  18 feet. I had thought I left it 32 feet, but alas I had chunked it up after the 18 feet. Anyhow, here is how it went.

I found a piece of spruce strapping in the barn and tacked it on here.

Did same on the opposite side to serve as my first flat face down the log.

I put my new Forum Efco chainsaw to work and got this.

Looks like it snowed with all that nice white spruce sawdust. ;D

I had to trim off some of the fist sized (or bigger) swelled knots off the edges to make it easier to strap that board on the next face.

I went to work and carved off two more faces and then I was left with the final cut to make after making the saw guides with the board and marked with the saw.

Now I'm left with my roughed out 8x8" timber. The Efco worked like a champ, but don't anyone dare call me for any chainsaw milling jobs. :D ;)

As the title says, rough cut milling. ;)

With all the gathering of tools, setting up each cut, putting stuff away I was probably busy for 4 hours. It took around a tank of gas for each face, to cut.

Park bench seats anyone (from slabs)?

Enjoy. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

I was beginning to wonder when you were going to get that chainsaw out.  8)

terrifictimbersllc

Better keep the benches to sit on between cuts. :D :D :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Nomad

I'm with TT.  Chainsaw milling will get the job done and I've done some big logs that way, but that's a rough row to hoe.

On the other hand, looks to me like you did a pretty good job!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

SwampDonkey

You definitely won't find my shingle out for chain saw milling. I had a log, a chainsaw, and now a cant for 4 tanks of gas. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

Good job the Donk !
You can shave the beam with the saw by sweeping the surface with the saw at a compound angle making a side to side motion. Can almost do a nice finish like this .  ;) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

Do you charge by the foot or by the week  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jdtuttle

I had an alaskan chainsaw mill. Milled a couple logs, gave it to my nephew, & bought a woodmiser. My back feels alot better :D
jim
Have a great day

isawlogs

Danny , I think he could charge by the yard ....  of sawdust he makes. ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Brad_S.

You could have saved the 4 tanks of gas if you had just hewed it with an axe. Just sayin'.....
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

tyb525

And to think some people make lumber that way!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

SwampDonkey

Quote from: WDH on May 04, 2011, 08:31:15 PM
Do you charge by the foot or by the week  :D.

By the pound, 260 lbs at $0.50 a pound. That sucker didn't dry much over winter, the fella behind the peavey grunted just as hard rolling her over as he did last fall. :D

Just judging by eye and straight edge on the photo I'd say I kept a fairly straight line down the beam. A few shallow dips, but not bad. ;)

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: jdtuttle on May 04, 2011, 09:26:34 PM
I had an alaskan chainsaw mill. Milled a couple logs, gave it to my nephew, & bought a woodmiser. My back feels alot better :D
jim
Bandsaw manufacturers should give out free chainsaw mills to prospective customers.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

isawlogs

Sd , you did as good a job as I have seen done with some bandsaws  ;) :)   Now get a longer handle on the cant hook peavy or give it to someone that can handle the grunting. ;D

Marcel

SwampDonkey

It's got a quite beefy handle on that Logrite, I actually have two identical ones. ;D It's actually longer than any traditional peavey you see in anyone's shed or barn around these parts. Provided the wooden handle still is in tact. Afterall, the log was 18', wet, and about 22" at a ways above breast height (maybe 6 feet from ground) and about 14" on the top, and I was working in a  brush pile of limbs. ;D That might help explain it. Remember it's a lot lighter with the sides shaved off, the 260 lbs is the cant. I gotta roll/skid the sucker out  to the barn a couple hundred feet away. Not a long ways, but work enough. I can handle the grunt work pretty good, just any bystanders should stand back some distance. :D

Who was it that said it around these parts? "If there is work involved, no one will be found in sight of it" :D :D

isawlogs

Excuses !!!  ::)  ::)  ::)   :D

Marcel

Tom

I had a one-man buck saw stolen one time.  ???

SwampDonkey

Well, anyway I had a long day at First Aid class, so just about ready to call it a day. My head hurts. :D

isawlogs

Is it flat enough , da ground where it sits , to put rollers under it to help out some in getting moved ???

Marcel

SwampDonkey

I'll probably use some of them slabs to get out of the brush and use some fence posts or something to get it to the back door. Those slabs, with all the rain water on them, are slippery as ice to a flat surface like that on a face of the cant. I do have a smaller spruce laying there I could buck up, because it was all red rot inside it, which I was very surprised about. It wasn't even a suppressed tree and was growing quite nicely unlit this monster came down and snapped off the top.  :-X

But before I do this I have to do some house cleaning in there to put some lumber and short pieces up in the loft out of the way and clean the floor up. I have two sleds  ::) I need to find a place for, a super sized  :D wood splitter and soon a new lawn mower, plus my shop firewood to make room for. :D I would like to put that lawn mower in my garage during the summer instead.  ::)

isawlogs

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 06, 2011, 05:57:16 AM
But before I do this I have to do some house cleaning in there to put some lumber and short pieces up in the loft out of the way and clean the floor up. I have two sleds  ::) I need to find a place for, a super sized  :D wood splitter and soon a new lawn mower, plus my shop firewood to make room for. :D I would like to put that lawn mower in my garage during the summer instead.  ::)

I think that you should of cut 2x4's and built a shed/garage/storage area instead of a beam,. Just saying.....  ;D :D

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Well I cleaned house down in the barn, and lets just say it needed it.  ::)

Then I fetched these cedar rails we cut up for kindling 20 years ago, bark still on most of'm by the way.  ;D

Makes for good rollers when you have 20 or 30 at your disposal. ;D

Grabbed my peavey and pulp hook and started man-skidding to the barn. Landed the timber in the right spot, for now. ;D

Got'r done, with life and limb still sound. :D

That 6x6 timber you see as a prop is all hand cut as are the others propped down the support beam you can't see. ;)

I left extra wood on that cant, so after it dries a fellow could true it up better on a mill some day.

isawlogs

Good job dere sonny !!! ;D

Marcel

sprucebunny

What are you going to make out of it ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

Can't think of anything at the moment. :D

Thank You Sponsors!