iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Head gets cold wearing my hardhat

Started by Bobcat_pa, January 04, 2004, 04:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobcat_pa

I realize this question may not make sense to some readers, and I am not trying to waste forum time.   My head gets cold wearing a hardhat in the 10-30+ F temp.    I always make myself where a hardhat and do not want to get in the habit of opting for something warm, but not protective.  I know there are liners sold by Baileys/CCD/etc, and they must be great when it really gets cold in Canada, northern states, etc.  But these liners are an over-kill in this temp range.  I have tried a baseball cap & pullon cap under the hardhat, but that just makes the helment skip off more often.    Suggestions ?      
Bob

beenthere

Bobcat
I don't have hair up there, so I either take a folded red handkerchief, or a small 6" square of wool, and place it on my head first. Then put on the hard hat. It takes up the sweat first, and keeps the bare head from cooling off when the sweat evaporates. Hard hat stays on in the meantime. Maybe it would work for you.

I also find that a silk underwear top under a wool shirt is the best comfort for me while working in the woods in the weather below 35 to 40 degrees. Don't feel cold and clammy when I stop for a rest.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

I have no idea where we gotthem, but we had liners at the mill that were just verylight weight canvas type material. I used to wear mine just to keep my hardhat on as they had a chin strap.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Minnesota_boy

I found a website for Northern Safety that lists 3 different weights or warmths of hard hat liners.

www.northernsafety.com
 or to go to the page on hard hat liners
http://www.northernsafety.com/cart/cart.cfm?UID=2004010420091842&ACTION=03&SKW=GP115HALI05
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Bobcat_pa

Let me do a little interneting with your suggestions.
Suggest you kids save this info & links, cause some day your helment may start to get a little cold.     FYI: i did a seach for "helment liners" using metacrawler and also hit some good sites.   Found some sweatbands for my summer jobs.  
THANKS--bob

WV_hillbilly

Bobcat

You may want to try a welders hat under your hardhat. I wear them at work under mine year round. They are made out of a single layer of canvas . In the winter when it's not so cold it keeps your head warm and in the summer it keeps the sweat from running in your eyes. The should be availiable at at welding supply house . There are also some that are  like bandanas that tie in the back .
Hillbilly

OneWithWood

I also wear a welders cap under by hardhat.  Inexpensive and does the job.  Plus they come in camo and other cool colors 8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Frickman

I wear a hooded sweatshirt hood under my hardhat. The ear muffs keep the hat on my head. If it warms up later in the day you just put the hood down and tighten up the headband.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Stan

I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

theonlybull

welding beanies are great for what you want.  if you can talk to a welding supply place,  ack like your interested in a contract, then hint them up about some beanies.  i usually get them by the dozon at work  ;D
Keith Berry & Son Ltd.
machine work and welding

SasquatchMan

I go into the Womens' section at the thrift store, and buy all the big silk scarves they have, usually at about $2 each.  Fold them triangular, and wrap up my head, and ARRR billy, I'm a pirate too.

I use these to keep my balding head warm on the not too cold days, and also to keep dust off my head when sanding etc.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

UNCLEBUCK

thanks for the link minnesota boy , I gonna get me one them liners ,  ;D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

isawlogs

I use a hooded sweatshirt also it is nice and comfy and when it gets to hot just take it off , I still have all my cover but it  is getting thin  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

logbutcher

Stan is on the money: go to any outdoor store for a silk or poly balaclava. They are thin and light and fit over your neck also. Use them under hardhats and for my mountain classes.
Then go out for some Rogaine  ;D

tawilson

I've tried them all and the hooded sweatshirt works best for me too. Get a ratchet adjustment on the hardhat and if it gets too warm flip the hood down and tighten the hardhat. Actually, just the hardhat and hearing protectors keeps me head warm till it gets in the single digits.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Bobcat_pa

I extend a WARM THANKS to all of you.   I am going to do a little internet shop this weekend.   I did get over to the A&N store a few days ago and bought this thin pullover cap/sock.  Covers my head, ears, and neck.  Nice to be warm on a cold day.   Will try your other suggestions.   Use to think I was the only guy in the forest with a short hair style.      Bob

jjmk98k

try Lab Safety Inc. they carry the same ones my mom wears at the steel mill, made for hard hat use...

http://www.labsafety.com/store/product_group.asp?dept_id=10411&cat_prefix=4WA

hope it helps, Jim
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

jjmk98k

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

rangerbob

You might also try these: Under Armour balaclava. I've got some of the other Under Armour products and really like them.

timberjack240

my dad had this thing that he put on his head that looked like what a pilot of an old plane wood wear. he said that it was really warm and it fit tight to yur head and underneath  yur hard hat. im not sure wear he  got it or if you can get it but it s something to consider. but ill warn you wen ya wear it you look like the red baron  :D

Egon

My bald pate gets covered by a lightweight fleece touque/beenie thing with no tassel. It will extend down to cover the ears if required. A petzl climbing helmet with chin strap goes on top. Use the foam ear plugs.

The fleece covering is light enough so a regular hard hat can be used if so desired.

Egon

Thank You Sponsors!