iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to Estimate Stumpage?

Started by luke, January 06, 2004, 09:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luke

I own some timberland and was wondering how to go about estimating the standing timber in board footage.  I have seen the "biltmore sticks" advertised, but do the sticks have the calculations on them?  I need to measure about 300 acres with tree diameters from about 7" to 15" dbh., for future harvests, I will probably use the 1/4" international scale.

I would also probably need a field book, tally counter, and flourecent orange tree paint.

Any input on how to estimate standing bd. ft. volumes will be appreciated.

LUKE
Checking into grade sawing, building a dry kiln and moulding machines.

beenthere

Many here on the forum could give the long answer to that question, although there are different ways to go about it, depending on the character of the forest, among other things (including tools available and those you want to invest in).

For a start, search on 'tree mensuration' for a beginning into what calculating bd.ft. volume on a site would entail. Likely you would do a cruise of the acreage with some percentage of sampling by setting up plots or counting trees of certain sizes. Some methods even use prisms to determine which trees are counted in a plot.

Companies, such as Ben Meadows and Forestry Suppliers have catalogs with tools (biltmore sticks, diameter tapes, height estimators) and tally books to help with the measurement and calculations.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Texas Ranger

It will probably be cheaper and more accurate to hire a consulting forester for the cruise.  A little error can through you way off in total volume.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Stephen_Wiley

Ditto.........to Don's comment.

You may learn more by hiring and accompanying a consultant during the cruise.

" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Ron Wenrich

A lot depends on the accuracy you want.  If you want something accurate, get a consultant to give you and inventory and write a management plan while he's at it.

If you want to try some on your own, here's some links over at our Knowledge Base on timber inventory:

https://forestryforum.com/tips/tips.cgi?display:1010359123-3833.txt

https://forestryforum.com/tips/tips.cgi?display:1010359141-3837.txt

https://forestryforum.com/tips/tips.cgi?display:1010359154-3844.txt

I don't use a Biltmore stick.  I use a diameter tape, which has less room for error.  Volumes can be found at the calculators or the red toolbox to the right.

Why do you need the estimate and why do you want to paint the trees?  A stand of 7-15" trees is far from being mature.  Sawtimber classifications on trees don't start until 12".  Essentially, anything below that size is classified as pulpwood and would not have any footage.  I can squeeze a 10" tree in there, but, you won't cut the volume.

Why do you need an estimate?  Do you have a guideline for what you want to remain?  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

luke

Ron,

the reason I need to cut the 7"-15"dbh. trees down is because the forest is to thick, and the trees that are the sizes that I mentioned the crowns of the trees are touching, and don't have room to grow.  I think the best way for me to estimate the standing timber is to, mark the trees with flourescent orange paint, and count the total number of trees that I mark, is the simplest way for me.  

I'm planning on getting a scragg mill, and that size of trees would work good on it, also I need to figure out a way make some money, I have property taxes etc. that need to be paid.

Thanks,

LUKE
Checking into grade sawing, building a dry kiln and moulding machines.

Ron Wenrich

If you're not selling the trees, then a variable plot inventory would be the easiest way to find your volume.  You can use the methods in the Knowledge Base.  You would need 150 plots to get a 5% sample.  It'll be accurate enough for your work.  I assume you need the numbers for a business plan.

When you go into an area to cut, you want to leave a residual stand of about 70-90 BA of good quality material.  You get too much below 70 and you'll be getting epicormic branching on your residual stand.  That will degrade future value.

Scragg mill would be your best option, since there isn't too much tie stock at those diameter levels.  You might want to run some numbers for firewood, as well.  If your close enough to a major metropolitan area, you might be able to find a dealer to take all year long.  2 cord would be about the same as 1 Mbf of wood, with a lot less hassle and waste.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!