iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM outriggers, questions

Started by Jim_Rogers, July 20, 2011, 03:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

If you're handy with a mig welder, why not just cut some light metal and make permanent covers for the outriggers?

Cut them to just fit inside the tubing.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Digging the outriggers in so that the top is at least a couple of inches below the saw bed prolongs the cap life.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

T Welsh

I had the same problem for years until I got sick of it and welded caps on all the tops. problem solved ;D. Tim

Magicman

Or replace them with FAO's.   ;D

No cap, just an adjusting nut on top.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

T Welsh

Magic,I could use those right now,have the mill set up for three weeks now on a new dug out area, The mill keeps sinking into the ground and I run out of tolerance once it sinks in. gave me fits until I figured it out. I am going to put them on my wish list. Tim

Magicman

I am completely sold on the FAO's.  I knew last Summer that I would have at least two before this year.  My plan was to replace the ones in front of and behind the axle on the rail side.  After replacing them, I decided to replace the front (hitch) FAO.  I personally see no need to replace the two on the loader side or the tail end.

On the "332 Miles for This?" job I moved the sawmill and set it up 16 or 17 times, many of which were on a gravel road where I would have had to dig in a couple of outriggers to get them below the saw deck.  They have been a life (back) saver for me.

Jim_Rogers

Well, as a quick fix I tried the duct tape method:

This one doesn't look like it's going to stick:

Oh, well I tried...

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

T Welsh

Jim, Duct tapes saves time and from what I see it did its job 8). Tim

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Magicman on April 03, 2012, 10:12:44 PM
I am completely sold on the FAO's.  I knew last Summer that I would have at least two before this year.  My plan was to replace the ones in front of and behind the axle on the rail side.  After replacing them, I decided to replace the front (hitch) FAO.  I personally see no need to replace the two on the loader side or the tail end.

On the "332 Miles for This?" job I moved the sawmill and set it up 16 or 17 times, many of which were on a gravel road where I would have had to dig in a couple of outriggers to get them below the saw deck.  They have been a life (back) saver for me.
MM why is having FAO jacks on the loader side less important? 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Dan_Shade

i'm guessing he levels to those stands  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Magicman

Less important to me.  Others my have a different opinion.

There are 4 outriggers on the rail side and 2 on the loader side, and the two loader side outriggers are very easily accessed.  The rail side not so, especially the ones in front of and behind the axle.  The weight of the logs, sawhead, and engine are constantly trying to sink the rail side outriggers into the ground, so they need re-adjusting much more often than the loader side does.  Matter of fact, it is a very rare instance when I have had to re-adjust the loader side.

pnyberg

In my case, it's what Dan said.  My 'demo' mill came with FAO's along the rail, and standard outriggers by the loading arms.  In general, I set the loader side outriggers, and then 'tune' the setup using the FAO's. 

--Peter
No longer milling

DR Buck

What is the adjustment range of the FAOs?   I mean the screw adjustment only, not the entire outrigger.   Is it just a couple inches?
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

pnyberg

The FAO nearest the hitch on my mill has about 7" of adjustment in the screw.  That's the only one I could measure easily at the moment.  I suspect they're all about the same.  I rarely use more than a few inches of adjustment in the center outriggers.

--Peter
No longer milling

terrifictimbersllc

On the FAO's, does one have additional adjustment beyond the screw travel of 7"?  I mean are there holes within that the pin goes through on the bottom of the outrigger, that one can use to re-set the post to different heights?  Can one get the front hitch end as low to the ground with an FAO as with a regular outrigger, when ground slopes down from front to back?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Yes, there are holes drilled for multiple stops.  There have been instances where I have wished for a few more holes in the front FAO.  I do still need and use a couple of blocks for either the front or the back.  (My back is not a FAO.)

Blocks added beneath the FAO.

pnyberg

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on June 20, 2012, 08:14:39 AM
On the FAO's, does one have additional adjustment beyond the screw travel of 7"?  I mean are there holes within that the pin goes through on the bottom of the outrigger, that one can use to re-set the post to different heights?  Can one get the front hitch end as low to the ground with an FAO as with a regular outrigger, when ground slopes down from front to back?

I have 4 FAO's along the rail.  I've never had standard outriggers in these positions, so I can't compare.  The hitch end FAO and the two middle FAO's all have three sets of 'pin holes' about 1-1/2" apart.  The rear FAO has about 6 'pin holes', so there's a lot more flexibility at that end. 

Having FAO's doesn't mean that you don't sometimes need blocking, especially at the front or rear.  But, once blocking is in place, getting the mill's weight properly distributed is pretty easy.

--Peter   
No longer milling

Magicman

You will not be digging the FAO's in so that the tops will clear the bed rails.  I have seen the need to have a couple more holes on the front FAO, but then it hasn't prevented a setup yet.  I just raised the foot to the next higher hole and used a couple of blocks.  Still no digging in.

I am 100% sold on the FAO's for portable use.  The ease of setup is unbelievable.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on June 22, 2012, 10:45:04 PM
You will not be digging the FAO's in so that the tops will clear the bed rails.  I have seen the need to have a couple more holes on the front FAO, but then it hasn't prevented a setup yet.  I just raised the foot to the next higher hole and used a couple of blocks.  Still no digging in.

I am 100% sold on the FAO's for portable use.  The ease of setup is unbelievable.
thats why I have six of them , MM
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Quote from: Peter Drouin on June 23, 2012, 06:34:24 PMthats why I have six of them , MM 
Because of the unlevel terrain, I could have used 6 at my last saw site.

There is no question that the FAO's are a worthwhile sawmill option for a portable operation.  I thought so, but after a got mine, I knew it.

drobertson

Just cleaned mine, I used a piece of broken blade on each side of the lock pin, then set a block held the lock pin and finished the job, the duct tape is quick and cheap, tacking a cover sounds good too,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ToddP

This thread is great. I run a tree removal business in Atlanta, and I've always kicked around the idea of setting up a portable mill so that on a job site, we can quickly mill the really thick trees into live edge slabs to be used in furniture building. Figured that would be a great way to add another revenue stream to my business. It's always felt like a pretty daunting task for me to get set up, but after reading through these posts, it puts me at ease, knowing that it can be done. Thanks guys.

Thank You Sponsors!