The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: turning a med duty schoolbus into a log hauling truck  (Read 6850 times)

Offline air1514

• Share Post
turning a med duty schoolbus into a log hauling truck
« on: July 22, 2011, 03:57:32 PM »
hi everyone. im looking for a lil info.   ive been hauling logs on a one ton chevy flatbed and a trailer. average load runs about 1500 bd ft.  ive got a 22 seat schoolbus that i want to take the bus body off and put a c60 cab on with log bunks and start hauling with it. it has bigger tires bearings and everything else is bigger to so it would be able to handle the weight better.   my question is- does anyone within 100 miles of alpena ar have a c60 cab for sale and does anyone know if a c30 cab will work in place of a c60 cab.  i think that they are pretty close. just add the big steps on a c30 cab and it looks the same as a c60 cab. the inside is close to the same.   thanks in advance

Offline shelbycharger400

• Senior Member x2
  • m14/04 0
    • Share Post
Re: turning a med duty schoolbus into a log hauling truck
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 04:26:19 PM »
you could save some of work and expense of changing the cab, by just keeping the bus front clip on,  and give yourself a few feet behind the drivers seat ( maybe a passenger seat or 2) cut it their , be shure to brace it up before you do,  and cut the back bubble off the bus, and weld it back together.   seam the back side before put it back together so it will all overlap, and if you accidently not weld it tight..water wont blow at you drivin down the road...     Ive seen it done, and looks slick      it might save you 500- 1000 for all the correct things  (cab, front clip, hood,  assorted brackets, pedals, seat,  steering column, radiator,  ect)

get one of these, if you havent yet.   i have one , works good, it even worked  on the '58 lincoln i patched a 1/4 pannel on .
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_14322_14322

Offline two tired

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 08:49:17 PM »
i dont know if the laws in your state are like the ones in louisiana but i would check if that is ok. something about the frame of the schoolbus being different than a regular truck, not shure what the difference is but check with dot .
when wondering about weather conditions call the dog in and see if he is wet

Offline WH_Conley

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to tide my profile!
    • Share Post
    • Stone Hill Hardwoods
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 08:14:02 AM »
You might be money ahead just to sell the bus and buy a truck ready to go. The bus was designed to carry a lighter load. The frame rails are probably not plated. It could be done. but, there is a lot of work in the conversion.
Bill

Offline paul case

• Senior Member x2
  • Original wearer of the PCM.
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 06:37:12 PM »
i have seen serveral old school busses converted to haul tractors, grain, sawdust, and livestock. i would cut the middle section of roof off and put the back on the frontthen add a headrack and log bunks or whatever. looks ok to me, but keep in mind that it may not haul any more than your current outfit. my friend has a freightliner with one set of bunks that can be loaded with a tractor and front end loader and it usually hauls 900 to 1100 ft of 10' logs. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Offline swamper

• Arkansas Piney Wood Rooter
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 12:24:25 AM »
We haul 16 to 18 tons on a gooseneck behind an F250 on a regular basis.  One old fella here cut a bus down and put a kennedy loader off of a pulpwood truck behind the cab and some log bunks on the back and has been using that for years.  He left a couple of seats in the cab with him, looks really slick.  Just a big ole yella crew cab work truck.  You can always find an old front axle and make a tag for it so it will stay up better.  Find you an old browning/lipe so you will have a low hole when crawling in the woods.  I would try it, go for it.  If you can't find a brownie box, get an old transfer case out of an old army truck and just use the low range, but I would go ahead and use the frontend too, and make just one more little driveshaft to get power to it......

Offline paul case

• Senior Member x2
  • Original wearer of the PCM.
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 08:48:35 AM »
What are you pulling that gooseneck with?
Around here you can't be legal with a pickup truck and gooseneck over 30,000 lbs gross. Many gooseneck trailers and dually pickups will hit the scale for 10k of that. That makes 10 ton a big load. Way more load than most can stop well. Maybe you mean 16 tons gross?  PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Offline jcbrotz

• Share Post
    • Brotzmans Woodworks
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 06:42:58 PM »
16-18 ton behind a f250 he ain't legal. I am not legal with that in my Duramax 3500.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

Offline swamper

• Arkansas Piney Wood Rooter
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 10:04:38 AM »
I know it is not legal.  We have brakes on both axles and run 14 ply tires.  The first time I ever loaded it we weighed in at 37,500#.  I think he has weighed in the upper 40's, but never broke 50k.  Now we have been hearing stories about them cracking down.  One guy got pulled over in Texas and he rang up 7500 in fines, so we don't go over there anymore.  Just keep it local now.  In fact, most times now we just cut with a Bell Feller Buncher, skid them with the John Deer skidder, sometimes a Ford 5610 4x4, and bank them with a Barko loader.  Then we just call somebody with a truck and trailer (big truck) and they stop by and load with our loader and haul the logs.
He put a nice belly pan on the tractor and a square tubing cage, a grapple on the front of the loader, and he bought a hydraulic log grapple for the back.  The deal on the front is like a rake/grab, as wide as the tractor.  You can load with it on a small job.  We fixed the bunks on the gooseneck so the tractor can drive between them.  I believe the skidder is a JD 540D and has a winch and a grapple.  I like to use the skidder better in the woods.  Skidder has a fold down rake on the front blade.  The tractor is good too, but the skidder is more manuverable.  I believe if you had them out on dry ground and tied them back end to back end that the tractor would drag the skidder all over the place.  Seems like the tractor will pull more.  Skidders will get stuck, don't let anybody tell you any different.
We haven't been doing too much of that lately.  The man that helped get my brother in the logging business, kinda mentored him a little, has bought a band saw mill that cuts 20' lengths.  My dad and I picked up a 4' high stack of that yesterday, a trailer load.  We had some trailers to floor, and my brother had taken him some good white oak and red oak to be cut.  Knot free 2x lumber is nice to have.  If and when I figure out how to put a picture on here I will post them, but promise not to prosecute.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

moved
MOVED: Hauling brush with heavy duty trailers

Started by Jeff on Forestry and Logging

1 Replies
Last post March 01, 2018, 04:21:52 PM
by Jeff
xx
seriously heavy duty truck

Started by thedeeredude on General Board

12 Replies
Last post October 25, 2007, 10:02:05 PM
by Dave Shepard