iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Snow Day

Started by Ianab, July 24, 2011, 04:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Bit of cooler weather has hit all of NZ yesterday and today...

View from the back door this morning.

Front lawn.

Back garden.

Tree on the roadside.

Not a lot of snow by some of your standards, but the heaviest here for about 15 years.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

Just enough to be pretty.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Scott

The pictures are "cooling".
~Ron

jim king

Sure does look nice.

thecfarm

Early snow by the looks of the blossom?  I can wait until Nov- Dec for it to come here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ianab

Quote from: thecfarm on July 25, 2011, 05:40:21 AM
Early snow by the looks of the blossom?  I can wait until Nov- Dec for it to come here.

Nope, middle of Winter here. Snow isn't unusual, but it's usually melted by lunchtime. This dump was still falling at midday.

We went for walk about 4pm, it had cleared up, but still plenty of snow on the ground.
This shot looks up toward the mountain and the palm trees suggest a different climate.

Ian

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

LOGDOG

That looks like heaven right now.

sandhills

Quote from: LOGDOG on July 25, 2011, 08:34:07 AM
That looks like heaven right now.
I'm with ya on that one!  ;D

LOGDOG

Every now and then when it's hot like it has been lately (100+), I'll swing into the Circle K gas station to pick up some Miller Lite. I'll walk into the beer cooler and it feels soooooo good. I just linger for a bit. It's like finding winter in July. I love it.

Dan_Shade

that snow looks nice about now. It's been HOT and HUMID here!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Mooseherder

It was 48 degrees at our camp this morning and I am stuck here. ::)

Brad_bb

I love winter.  I prefer it.  I hate working outside in the Illinois humidity and heat, soaking a shirt in no time at all.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Coon

If I were there I'd be rolling around in that snow.   :D   
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Ernie

We got a heavy frost but no snow at our place.  This is the mountain from the top of the farm

A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

maple flats

Yea, not much by our standards but it sure look nice. I also love working in winter, especially after this past week when we had 101 actual and a feels like temp of 116.
But last Jan-Feb I was putting up maple sap tubing and tapping on snowshoes because the snow was 4' deep on the level, and one section of woods which is on the lee of a large open field and the woods drop off at 45-55 degrees. There the snow was up to 7' deep. I'd rather have what you got.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Ernie

Mapleflats, you would miss the maple syrup iif you moved down here.  I planted a sugar maple years ago I couldn't get much in the way of sap as we don't get enough of a temperature change to cause a rising of the sap.  It was worth the effort of growing it just for the autumn foliage.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Ianab

Snow on the (shaded) front lawn finally melted this afternoon when the rain set in.

Having it on the ground for 48 hours is pretty unusual here.

Back to the normal cold and wet winter weather  :D

Ian

Tom

I'ts sure strange hearing of you having snow in July.  :D

clww

I was just thinking the same thing, Tom!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Ianab on July 25, 2011, 07:41:56 AM
...the palm trees suggest a different climate.

Those don't look like Nikau palms. What kind of palms are they?
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Ianab

"Those don't look like Nikau palms. What kind of palms are they?"

Nope, they are not the native Nikau. They are an imported species, not sure of the name, quite a big specimen, but quite common in public parks etc around the country.

Ian

Ianab

More Snow...

Falling to around sea level, and in places that haven't had snow in living memory.

The back lawn this morning

Trees in the back garden

Snow Angel  ;D

Kindergarten is closed today, but we went for a walk down there and took some pics for the kids when they get back.

The palm trees again.

Sun has just come out, but it's only a short break. More cold showers for the afternoon and tomorrow.

Ian

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

isawlogs

That snow angel sure is a pretty one Ian, it is fun to see her grow through the pics you put on here of her.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ernie

Ian, Our place, one of the places that haven't had snow in living memory I've lived around here for 40 years and this is a first, what a way to start whitebait season.

I was just saying to Jan yesterday that spring must be here, the magnolia is starting to flower, I've seen ducklings in the bottom paddocks and the lambs are dropping like mad.  I guess that I should have kept my mouth shut.

Thank You Sponsors!