iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lookin at a JD 440-B

Started by Bobus2003, July 25, 2011, 09:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobus2003

So i have been toyin with the idea of buyin another small skidder.. Have looked at a few 440's.. but this one has caught my eye.. Mid 70's, 440-B, Ex-Wyoming State Unit, Decent tires and all around good shape.. what ya think?

beenthere

Looks like it is (could be) a good one. Just the tires alone are impressive, from what can be seen.
Keep us posted. Let us know if it follows you home.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mad murdock

nice looking 440B Bobus2003! 8) 8) If the price is right, I am sure it will serve you well.  Looks like someone did a top jobo beefing up the blade arms/support area ( a weak point from the factory , IMO),  Nice looking machine all around.  I hope you can swing a sweet deal :)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

logman81

Looks like a real nice skidder you have found indeed! Good tires and pretty straight to. ;D
Precision Firewood & Logging

snowstorm

power shift havent seen one of those in a long time.

Dakota

There's a skidder for sale in Central City.  It's setting by the Napa Auto store.  Been there all summer.  You might slip up Spearfish canyon and look at it.
Dakota
Dave Rinker

Decked

If you're not 'making a living' with it, you're prolly ok.
In my not so humble opinion, the "D" series was Deere's best machines by far. I had a 540A, then I bought a brand new ..D..

one sweet machine.

Much nicer cab with good protection, the A is rather open & ya get brush slapped.

Also, the frame area around the front axle is a little wimpy on the A's.

clww

Very clean looking and great tread, too! Now, how does she run?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Ron Scott

Looks like a good one. Most State and Feds units are usually well maintained. They should have a maintenance record on it that you can check and good operator info available.
~Ron

Bobus2003

Quote from: Dakota on July 26, 2011, 07:06:30 AM
There's a skidder for sale in Central City.  It's setting by the Napa Auto store.  Been there all summer.  You might slip up Spearfish canyon and look at it.
Dakota

Yeah their asking $7900 for that ole girl.. I think i can get this beast for $2500 Maybe $2000 if i can dicker well. Runs nice biggest down fall is the Winch PTO shaft is missing

treefarmer87

that is a nice one, good tires too.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Jasperfield

If it's been gov't owned and in the West most of its life, you had better buy it. At that price and even if you had to work on the winch (and buy a shaft for same) it'd be well worth the money.

Find the owner, run it, etc., and buy it.

Don't dither. Prices for small skiders are rising and the market for small machines is greater than that for the large machines. If it's worth having... it's worth paying.

By your posting here, you're not just talkin' to your buddy down the road. You've effectively given that machine world-wide exposure to its target market.

grassfed

Tires are worth 3000 easy it has the big log bumper, turbo, wheel weights. If it runs good and the trans winch and hyd work good that machine would be 18k+ around here.
Mike

kiko

Check out Craigslist for Macon Georgia in the farm and garden section.  Jd 440b $2200.00 but it looks a lot rougher than the one above.

Frickman

At $7000 or so it's worth me trucking it to Pennsylvania. It would bring double that or more around here.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

thumper

a winch shaft from a 540a will work on that skidder too.
Jonsered 2150 2152 2156 2165  Husqvarna 262xps Worn 1970 JD440a 06 GMC 3500 DURAMAX

CX3

You can guarantee I would give 2500 just from the pictures.  When do you want me to come get it?  I cant believe you would try to save another 500 bucks on a deal like that.  Heck id give 1500 for the tires ship em on down
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

smwwoody

I'll take it!!!  When and where do I need to be with the money

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Bobus2003

It had a Hydraulic Lock in the Tranny fail.. The machine now won't move or start.. guy who owns it is trying to figure out the problem before he will actually sell it

Thank You Sponsors!