iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

AM/FM radios

Started by SwampDonkey, September 04, 2011, 08:38:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Yeah, I was doing a search on just a plain radio, none of this CD, Mpeg, Ipod stuff. And I have found there are some nice radios still being made. But, you can't buy nothing locally, China has taken over the local store fronts I think.  ::) A $40 radio ain't going to be worth lugging home.

So I was looking at a couple brands. I'm not interested in Bose, so we can wipe that one off the list. ;)

This link is to a nice down to earth radio in my opinion.

http://www.durhamradio.com/tivoli-m1dkcla-model-one-classic-wood-cabinet-ontario-canada.html

These look decent to.

http://www.durhamradio.com/ccrane-cc2b-am-fm-weather-radio-2-meter-ham-band-Canada.html

I checked Amazon.ca and most of those look like junk radios.

What do you guys use or do you even listen to radio? ;) Also note, that for the dimensions of these radios, they have some weight to them. The crap in the local stores wouldn't weigh 8 oz. and as my uncle says, they sound like someone hitting a tin can sound-wise.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Logjam

i too like to listen to the radio MPR mostly .  I do to on way to work and home , or it going some where in the truck .

Ga_Boy

The FM stations in my area were changing formats to the point where I could not keep track of which staion was playing what music.   My fix, about 6 years ago I cut over to XM, I never looked back, love the choice in music, but some of the channels have  announcers that are starting to talk too much.

If I wanted to listen to people yak on thhe radio I would listen to FM.

Something to consider.

10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Kansas

I listen to FM in the pickup, and usually watch you tube videos of artists I like at home. Have a bunch of songs downloaded as well. What I don't have is a good radio to have set up for the deck when we have parties out here.

Friend of mine has what I believe is XM. He had it on one day to a station that played Jerry Jeff Walker, Ray willie Hubbard, Guy Clark, Waylon Jennings, music like that. It was wonderful. Always meant to get that too. That 199 dollar radio looks like it would be perfect.

SwampDonkey

Kansas we have a regular old FM country station in Monticello, Maine that plays all those tunes, called classic country. There are other country stations out of Presque Isle and Caribou.  I just want to listen to a radio and no fiddling around with CD's and other insertables when I'm busy occupied with something. ;) But as I stated you can't buy anything local for a decent radio. I am not into XM radio for the fact you have to pay a subscription. Besides, none of XM would even be local radio.

jim king

I just went thru this problem.  I wanted something simple.  There are none.  The simplest I could find must have 20 buttons and dials and I have to call the house keeper every time I want to change some thing.  Today I am buying three colors of fingernail polish and one color for the CD buttons, another for the radio buttons and yet another for the tape buttons.

The print on the dials and buttons is so small I cannot read it even with my glasses on.  I dont worry much about radio here as the radion station only has six songs.

Made in Korea.

SwampDonkey

The first one in the links is simple, only three dials: volume, tuner, and switch to AM/FM/OFF. ;)  If you look on the web page, there are even some more options: CD and clock radio with minimal dials. They all inter connect I think, Tivoli ones at least. So if a fellow just wanted radio for now that's fine, then get the CD player after and plug it in. They seem to me to be pretty solid radios and not light weight plastic junk.

DouginUtah

Quote from: SwampDonkey on September 04, 2011, 10:52:30 AM
I am not into XM radio for the fact you have to pay a subscription. Besides, none of XM would even be local radio.

Hasn't HD radio made it up to NB yet?  :D  :D
;D
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

SwampDonkey

Whatever that is? :D Sounds like something to pay a subscription for, which I wouldn't be interested in. ;)

DouginUtah

Quote from: SwampDonkey on September 04, 2011, 01:11:52 PM
Whatever that is? :D Sounds like something to pay a subscription for, which I wouldn't be interested in. ;)

No, that's why I mentioned it. No subscription.

(HD - hybrid digital)
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

beenthere

Bose is the way I went in the home. Good quality sound for CD's and stations.

Directv has the music channels that are great (no commercials) and selective for type of music to listen to, as well as have summary info for recording, artist, and title of song playing.

Gave up on XM in the car, as too many selections and things to keep track of...namely only listen to AM in the car if a game on.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

Uhh SD, you don't have to use all those CD players and such that come with radios these days.  I sure wouldn't pay extra to get a unit without them.  In fact, I don't pay at all.  I have several radios that have been discarded by family members and friends because the CD players don't work.  The radio part works fine in all of them.  I don't give a hoot up a hollow log about digital sound quality, because I am equipped with low-definition analog ears that can't tell the difference anyway. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

beenthere

Quote from: DanG on September 04, 2011, 02:48:33 PM
............... because I am equipped with low-definition analog ears that can't tell the difference anyway. ::)

:D :D :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

DanG your on the same bandwidth as me. ;) Accept, I want a good radio and you can't buy a good one locally, I have to go online. The family tossed them radios because they weren't any good to start with. I don't agree with "paying more for less", because in a short time you'll have less than less when the cd burns out, the LED dies and the tuner knob falls off. ;) I only want a radio, the other stuff I mentioned for that brand is for anyone wanting to add on stuff. That radio by Tivoli is my first choice, no frills not extras, plain good radio. ;D

As far as CD's, how can something with the highs and lows chopped off the sound, and then compressing it, be better than vinyl records? ;D

Bose is a good radio, can't fault them, only they are priced too high for me.

WH_Conley

Worked a job in Washington, DC one time, stayed at a pretty nice hotel, the crew had almost the whole floor rented. The alarm/radio/cd player looked you could launch the space shuttle with it. The Danged thing in my room would go off at 4 o'clock in the morning. I got smart and unplugged it. I found out the next morning it had battery back up for the alarm, nothing else. One guy on the crew had a son in the Air Force that was stationed close that came to visit. Before he got out of there he was in every room, programming the clock. We could build a bridge, but, not set the clock.
Bill

SwampDonkey

As far as a radio with CD and cassette player, well I have one of them already. In fact I've had it for close to 17 years and another with a turn table that works and double extended play cassette I've had for 27 years. Both units work like new. But I want just a basic radio. ;)

doctorb

I got a new car a few years ago that came with XM.  I enjoyed it at first, but then several of the channels I listened to started running commercials.  The 1-800 numbers would pop up on the radio screen.  These were ads for child behavior programs and other odd things.  I called and asked what was up, and they replied that it was just a few of the channels that advertised, and most did not.  I told them that I was paying the subscription price so that I didn't have to listen to commercials and cancelled my subscription.

It is great, though, when you are driving through the middle of nowhere......  What's the monthly cost for XM now?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Ga_Boy

I think the monthly cost is $15 for the first unit and $5 for each additional.

If you get an annual subscription is it less.

10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Radar67

You want a good AM/FM that meets your specs and has high quality parts? Find an electronics store and build your own or get a kit. Would be a good winter project for you. ;) You could even scrape together the wood case.  :)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Ironwood

Try Goodwill or your local thrift shop. ;)

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

SPIKER

I found most of the samsung stuff to be pretty good.   though I admit the boom box I bought in 95 quit working on me this winter.   it had been playing for 3 plus years in the barn at that point and it blew/lost the main power amp, I can still hear it playing just no loud sound and I have yet to open it up and see if I already have the power amp in something else...

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Ironwood on September 04, 2011, 08:25:24 PM
Try Goodwill or your local thrift shop. ;)

Ironwood

Quote from: Radar67 on September 04, 2011, 06:50:24 PM
You want a good AM/FM that meets your specs and has high quality parts? Find an electronics store and build your own or get a kit.

Jim King in Peru would have a better chance. :D :D

Patty

Back in the day, when I was a kid, my dad would take an old Delco car radio (the push button kind) and convert it to A/C so it could be plugged in. My brother and I each got one for Christmas one year. They were awesome.

I looked all over the web a few months ago for a decent am/fm radio, and had no luck at all. I decided that my 20 year old Bose would have to live another 20 years or more. I love listening to the games when I sew.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Weekend_Sawyer

A guy I work with was leaving the area and sold me his home stereo equipment. Kenwood tuner, 5 disk CD and wood cabnet speakers. I love it. I don't think you can even get component stereo equipment any more.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Thank You Sponsors!