iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just brought IH S7B Skidder.

Started by acco1840, September 10, 2011, 04:42:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acco1840

I just got an International S7B Skidder. Gearmatic 19 winch, Detroit 353 diesel, good tyres. Seems to go well. Have not had anything to do with International Skidders before. Anyone got any tips or things I should know?? will get some pics.

madmari

I had a S7, worked well but very tippy, so be careful. The front cradle had been welded (poorly) and finally let go. I liked the Gearmatic, always covered it with a tarp to keep it dry. The winch controller seems to be the weak point, but if you you replace the rubber cups in the controller, they work good and it is simple. The cups are 1 1/8"- buy a Ford F250 rear brake cylinder for $8, pull the cups and you are in business.
  I have an operators manual still and a Gearmatic manual if you'd like them. I also have two axle shafts that are new. I kept them from a parts machine because they are hard to find.
The S7 is a nimble critter- it gets around well in the woods due to the short wheelbase.
They called it the "Paylogger", which rings well with a starving logger ;D.

Best of luck!
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

acco1840

Thanks mate!! I have driven a Caterpillar 518 with a Gearmatic on it for my cousin for over 5 years, so am used to the Foibles of the GM winch, but havent had any experience with the IH skidders. I'd love the Manuals mate.....how much do you want for them??
Will definatly keep the Axles in mind if I break one.
PayLogger hey?? Sounds good to me. The cat was a good skidder,  but a CostLogger...... Just worn out.
The S7 has 2 new front tyres and about 30% rears. (16.9 x 28).
I pick her up on Saturday....Any idea what they weigh?? I have a 1970 Dodge AT4-690 with a 16 foot tray, and I am told it will fit on there. The Dodge GVM is 12.5 Ton. Am hoping that will do the trick.

Thanks for your help mate.

madmari

Believe it or not, the manual has the weight of the machine at 11,000 lbs. Even if the tires were loaded, you'd still be alright.

PM your address and I'll get the manual off to you. A donation to the FF will cover the cost smiley_thumbsup

acco1840

lumberjack48

I had a 1976 S8, 353, 4 speed Funk power shift, 19 Gearmatic,  with 18.4x26 tires, i had it 16 yrs full time logging, it was a good Ole horse.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

acco1840

Nice mate!! This is manual, Same gearbox as IH AB130 truck (T98.)
Same diffs as the AB too.
Looking forward to getting her tomorrow.
The bloke I am getting her off has the winch in bits rtoday, repairing the cylinder rubbers in the control.

acco1840

Got the old girl home yesterday. Cleared around the sawmill and have pulled out 22 logs. going like a kitten!!
Anyone know what Oil to run in it??

duckslayingpro

Never operated one myself but have seen a few around. Really neat machines and will pull a good drag for its size. Good little skidders. Good luck to ya.

acco1840

trying to upload a few pic's of her......
Kinda new to this

thecfarm

I was "kinda new to this" too many years ago. We will help,just ask. Most times it's very simple,just a step you missed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

madmari

I use SAE 30 wt with a diesel rating year round- the Detroit book says 30 wt - no 15-40 or multi viscosities.

acco1840

acco1840

Pictures of her are in the gallery. How do I get them out??

thecfarm

I'll try not to miss a step.  ;D  I like to have my gallery open first,than I start a post,click onto the album you want,than click onto the photo you want. Should be a link down a little,think it's in green that says, "click here to put photo in your post",will come up ,"are you sure" click yes and you are all set.  You can preview to make sure it's what you want. I like to hit the enter a few times to keep the words of the post away from the picture. If inserting more than one picture together, I like to leave some white space between the picture by hitting the enter key a few times.
I can not remember now,someone else will help,but add 10000 to your user number to make a link to your gallery so we all can view it. I forgot where to find that now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mad murdock

nice pic acco1840.  The skidder looks real fine. I like your "cornbinder" as well.  I have a '71 1110 pickup, tough as nails that truck is!

BTW I found your gallery pics.  To post a pic just open your gallery then reply to a post with another browser window.  On your gallery pic page, there will be a link to click on for adding the picture to your post.  Simple as that!  Thanks to Jeff. The 353 Detroit is a nice engine.  I bet that skidder will pull a nice size drag.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

acco1840

Thanks mate!! The binder is an Australian only 1971 International ACCO C1840 with 345 v8, 5speed crash box and number 4 eaton rear. The S7 pulled 3 green Tasmanian white Peppermint (hardwood) trees at once on Monday. When I cut them up for firewood and weighed it, there was 5.74 tonnes in it. She is going really well. Mega economical on Diesel after using a 518 Cat!!

thumper

sweet machine!! what year is your s7b??
Jonsered 2150 2152 2156 2165  Husqvarna 262xps Worn 1970 JD440a 06 GMC 3500 DURAMAX

acco1840

Not too sure mate. the ID tag is kinda mutilated. I have a manual for an s9A and it is from 1968, so I guess the s7B would be about 1970?? I stand to be corrected......

thumper

i think the later 70s models have sqaure tube on the cab and the late60s early 70s were round tube cabs. 
Jonsered 2150 2152 2156 2165  Husqvarna 262xps Worn 1970 JD440a 06 GMC 3500 DURAMAX

acco1840

Okay mate. Mine has the rounded cab. I dragged a 66 ft long Blue Gum hardwood log with her yesterday. Small end was 22 inch girth. Butt was 3 feet 2. No worries, she drug it in Low range Second gear. The log is turning out some beautiful Sleepers and fence Palings....

mad murdock

whooo doggy! Now your loggin' 8) 8) smiley_deadheader_ride_alligat smiley_deadheader_ride_alligat  Sounds like the IH has plenty of snoose! That is a big chunk of wood 8) 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

acco1840

Yeah, She is goin' well. Have fitted floodlights to her, as I have a firewood customer who always comes up after dark!! Discovered they had a "LIGHTS" setting on the main power switch. Helpful.

mad murdock

lights is a nice touch.  something I need to put on my machine.  I have the light fixtures and all, just need to put them on.

acco1840

Yeah, is kinda helpful. Does anyone know how much drama it is to get the fuel tank out?? Every time I fill her up, she sucks something onto the fuel pickup and cuts off the fuel. If I disconnect the line and blow back in the tank, she is fine untill I next fill it. No biggie, just a pain.

thumper

Quote from: acco1840 on October 09, 2011, 08:19:05 PM
Yeah, is kinda helpful. Does anyone know how much drama it is to get the fuel tank out?? Every time I fill her up, she sucks something onto the fuel pickup and cuts off the fuel. If I disconnect the line and blow back in the tank, she is fine untill I next fill it. No biggie, just a pain.
my jd 440 does the exact same thing. i put a filter on the end of my pick up line but then awhile later that too clogs.. when i get my machine home i wil steam clean  the tank instead of taking it out. hopefully the slash goes out the drain.  then alcohol to dry it up lol..

acco1840

Sounds like a good idea mate. She did it to me yesterday while dragging uphill. Kinda scary till I got the blade down. :D disconnected the line, blew back in tank, quick shot of AeroStart and we were away again.

ga jones

Had to change the tank in a 540a deere once. lets just say we did center pins while we had it in half....................
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

acco1840

acco1840

The old girl broke down on me 2 days ago. The big nut that holds the hub to the housing on the left hand rear expanded, came off the thread and let the hub move 3 inches out and off the housing, Causing her to break a tooth off an axle. Got another nut, an axle and am back together again. Has anyone else had this problem?? The lock bolt looked pissy, So I loctited the nut back on as well.........Kinda a pain as it filled my planetary with steely oil..... :'( Took longer to clean everything than to

KRMOTO

I just bought this old gem, S7B Ford Paylogger with gearmatic 19, would say it's a rare beast in the uk?, any experts out there on these machines?, might need start looking for transmission spares, the rest seems straight forward enough.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/forestry-/282517429625?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=xJtohnHCSW4sFBf7EaDbje40wKg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

TreeGuy S7B

Anybody have any manuals for the S7B or similar model early 70's? I have a 70-74 from what I gather found the brochure stuff looking for owner operator parts got the winch manual so far. Trying to put something together for file part references etc.

Thank You Sponsors!