The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: Laptop  (Read 9688 times)

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
Re: Laptop
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2011, 09:45:42 AM »
We've gotta laugh at ourselves and I do not mind sharing my goofs with others because someone else may benefit.  I have all of the extra bookmarks deleted, plus cleaning up my list.   :)

Transferring Word & Works files are next.  Pictures will be last.

Thankfully, I'm working with an old laptop that still works/boots up.  Windows 7 and the newer version of Firefox have thrown me a few extra curves, but I am gradually learning.

The suggestions that some of you guys have made have been priceless.  Thanks.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline DouginUtah

• Senior Member x2
  • You can't always have a tailwind, sometimes it's going to be a headwind.
    • Share Post
    • Doug Sherwin's Homepage
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2011, 11:22:50 AM »

One of the best tricks to using Windows 7 is to create a shortcut on your desktop (right-click on the desktop) and call it "All Tasks".

The target is "C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe shell:::{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}".

This makes it much easier to do things--sort of like using the Control Panel but easier to find the task.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Offline mometal77

• Share Post
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2011, 12:04:00 AM »
Like many said use toshiba and costco has a good return policy.  One thing I will use from now on is the american express card as much as i dislike the buggers and bank of america but they give another year on a warranty purchase after the labtop's warranty expires.  Walmart friends of mine have had issues with them in the past on returns.  And ebay i tried buying a labtop from a girl out of seattle a few months ago for an old fishing buddy and the screen was blank she deleted all the start up programs and the right side plug in adapter was broken.  Thank god for pay pal. But it took a month to get the money back.  Cheaper to buy new.
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets...I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2011, 08:29:50 AM »
I have finally gotten comfortable with this new Dell and Windows 7.  I still have some files to move and some I'll have to rebuild but at least I'm getting there.

I have not tackled my two spreadsheets yet.  The big one is my "Farm Account" and the farm owns the sawmill.   :-\  I'm going to finish the year on the old laptop and then set up next year's on this new one.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2011, 10:14:51 AM »
Sony Vaio is the best short of a mac air which is too much money for what you get. I made the mistake of getting a laptop with a 17" screen and hate it, just too big for me.

Feature for feature Mac book air is very good value for the money and is one of the most reliable of that class of computer.

I had 5 sony Vaios at one point and all but one of them were a pain in the back side. 3 of them were in the sony service centre more then we used them and 2 of them never did work properly at all. We finally pitched em just less then 2 years after we bought em and went with Mac Books. Best thing we ever did in term of computers. Over all cost of computers has dropped by darn close to 50% since we switched and most of that has been software license cost. Leopard runs Microsoft office better then windows does too.

I never had a laptop last 4 years before and right now I have 4 of 6 that are 3 months into year 5 and going strong. All Mac books! Only have one PC left for a server and it is not running windows software either.   
If you ain't livin on the edge you are takin up way to much room. Of course at my age if I get too close to that edge any more theres a good chance I may fall off.
2001 Dodge 1500 4x4. 2018 F150
2007 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 almost Super
2 Logrite 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2011, 09:06:39 AM »
I've got one Toshiba here, soon to be 12 years old and the other one is about 6 years old. The old one is in a drawer, but everything works like out of the box. The only thing is XP is slow on it, it was a Windows ME computer, it's only 660 mhz. I bought both at Staples and they have always worked, never needed warrantee work.

At the office and at my brother's house, they had Acers from Radio Shack, nothing but pieces of junk. They would just go black and seize, not even 6 months old.
Move'n on.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

angry
New Laptop

Started by Magicman on Technical Support Topics

3 Replies
Last post October 27, 2014, 10:52:46 AM
by Magicman
xx
Must be a setting on my laptop... or something...

Started by Mike W on Technical Support Topics

10 Replies
Last post March 04, 2019, 08:18:20 PM
by Mike W
xx
I dropped my Laptop...

Started by WDH on General Board

8 Replies
Last post December 04, 2011, 10:50:35 AM
by PC-Urban-Sawyer
xx
DanG Laptop